Professional Web Applications Themes

Best software to record MP3s from cassette - Mac Applications & Software

There's shareware out there that will do this, but I find for recording records and cassettes that Toast works great and it's a complete package unless you want to do some really high end stuff. I just ran a cable from one of audio out outputs in receiver to audio in port on iMac DV (need a cable adapter which is cheap). Meloan wrote: > I previously posted this message: > > Can anyone recommend a decent but relatively inexpensive software > product to create MP3s from audio cassette? I'm planning to use an > iMic as the input interface, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Best software to record MP3s from cassette

    Meloan wrote:
    > I previously posted this message:
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent but relatively inexpensive software
    > product to create MP3s from audio cassette? I'm planning to use an
    > iMic as the input interface, which is USB oriented. I have Musicmatch
    > Jukebox, but I now see that it only records from the CD drive.
    >
    > I'll answer my own post:
    >
    > With iMic, you can input through the USB port, and not worry about
    > frying the audio circuitry of the Mac. I'm using it on Mac OSX, but I
    > think it also works on OS 9. The only other thing you need is "Final
    > Vinyl," a shareware package that seems to work great. It records in
    > AIFF format.
    George Guest

  2. #2

    In article <af60080e.0307011405.3810b638posting.google.com >,
    [email]meloansbcglobal.net[/email] (Meloan) wrote:
    > I previously posted this message:
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent but relatively inexpensive software
    > product to create MP3s from audio cassette? I'm planning to use an
    > iMic as the input interface, which is USB oriented. I have Musicmatch
    > Jukebox, but I now see that it only records from the CD drive.
    >
    > I'll answer my own post:
    >
    > With iMic, you can input through the USB port, and not worry about
    > frying the audio circuitry of the Mac. I'm using it on Mac OSX, but I
    > think it also works on OS 9. The only other thing you need is "Final
    > Vinyl," a shareware package that seems to work great. It records in
    > AIFF format.
    There is also the freeware and OS 9 only Coaster.
    [url]http://www.visualclick.de[/url]

    It records to AIFF files which can then be compressed using iTunes to
    MP3.

    --
    Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

  3. #3

    George <george5071my-deja.com> wrote:
    > There's shareware out there that will do this, but I find for recording
    > records and cassettes that Toast works great and it's a complete package
    > unless you want to do some really high end stuff. I just ran a cable
    > from one of audio out outputs in receiver to audio in port on iMac DV
    > (need a cable adapter which is cheap).
    How do you do this with Toast? I know how to run a cable to my USB
    input from my receiver, but don't have a clue past tha. Can't find
    anything in Toast which indicates it will burn from an og source.
    Please give exact details so I can te (and publish) the results
    :-)
    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  4. #4

    Have been away for a while but Paul F. answered your question. I have
    the commercial version of Toast and prefer it since it has all the
    necessary apps to do this. I just run it out of my receiver from the
    extra output with the adapter cable and plug it into audio in on an iMac
    DV; it doesn't plug into USB as I recall. Seems to work fine if you
    don't trip over the cable. One doesn't have to burn a cd and there's a
    way to convert toast output file to mp3. However it's also nice having
    cd's of old records and cassette-tapes.

    There is shareware out there that will do the same thing as I vaguely
    recall.

    H.B. Elkins wrote:
    > [email]paulfuchsporkaintkosher.oink[/email] (Paul Fuchs) wrote:
    >

    >>How do you do this with Toast? I know how to run a cable to my USB
    >>input from my receiver, but don't have a clue past tha. Can't find
    >>anything in Toast which indicates it will burn from an og source.
    >>Please give exact details so I can te (and publish) the results
    >>:-)
    >

    > The retail version of Toast comes with an app called Spin Doctor,
    > which allows you to record audio from og sources (tape, vinyl,
    > etc.) to an AIFF file, then split that file into tracks, edit out
    > blank spaces, do some rudimentary editing of hiss, noise from scratchy
    > records, etc., and burn an audio CD -- which then can be ripped into
    > MP3s if so desired. (Or the individual tracks in the large AIFF file
    > can be copied-and-pasted into individual AIFFs for each song).
    >
    > The retail version of Toast also comes with the stereo Y cable that
    > allows you to plug your stereo components into your Mac's mic-in jack
    > (or your iMic if you have a Mac w/o a mic-in jack like the "Digital
    > Audio" G4s.)
    >
    > Spin Doctor is *not* a part of the Toast Lite program that is usually
    > bundled with CD burners.
    > H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    > [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    > [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)
    >
    > I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    > To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    George Guest