Professional Web Applications Themes

Best type of film/speed for wedding - Photography

Hi all, I am intending to take pictures at my sisters wedding in a couple of weeks. I am confused as to what speed/type of film to use in my Pentax SLR. I am worried that as the wedding car approaches, the film will be blurred as the car is a moving object. The wedding will be in daylight and I would also like to take photos inside the reception hall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Thomas....

  1. #1

    Default Best type of film/speed for wedding

    Hi all,

    I am intending to take pictures at my sisters wedding in a couple of weeks.

    I am confused as to what speed/type of film to use in my Pentax SLR.

    I am worried that as the wedding car approaches, the film will be blurred as
    the car is a moving object. The wedding will be in daylight and I would
    also like to take photos inside the reception hall.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Thomas.

    ThomasNews Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best type of film/speed for wedding

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:32:53 +1000, "ThomasNews"
    <thomasnewsiprimus.com.au> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >I am intending to take pictures at my sisters wedding in a couple of weeks.
    >I am confused as to what speed/type of film to use in my Pentax SLR.
    >I am worried that as the wedding car approaches, the film will be blurred as
    >the car is a moving object. The wedding will be in daylight and I would
    >also like to take photos inside the reception hall.
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >Many thanks in advance.
    >Thomas.
    100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    Slingblade Guest

  3. #3

    When I used the same camera to take shots of a soft ball match, the person
    batting was blurred when swinging for the ball on the prints.

    Should I take the camera off auto ?

  4. #4

    "Slingblade" <bladeREMOVEslingerearthREMOVElink.net> wrote in message
    > 100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    ISO 100 films are the sharpest films, but the slowest. They need more light
    and slower shutterspeed. They are not good for low light situations or
    moving subjects.

    Kodak Professional Portra films are made for photographing people. ISO 400
    films are good when you need faster shutterspeed for moving subjects and for
    indoor photographing.

    For a overview over Kodak Portra films:
    [url]http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/portraIndex.jhtml?id=0.3.8.12.14&lc=en[/url]

    Thor Henning Wegener
    [email]thor.henningcybeer.no[/email]
    [url]http://home.online.no/~wegener[/url]

    Thor Henning Wegener Guest

  5. #5

    "ThomasNews" <thomasnewsiprimus.com.au> wrote in message
    > When I used the same camera to take shots of a soft ball match, the person
    > batting was blurred when swinging for the ball on the prints.
    >
    > Should I take the camera off auto ?

    No, but you should use a film with a faster ISO speed. That will give you a
    faster shutterspeed. You may use a wider aperture that also will give you a
    faster shutterspeed.

    Thor Henning Wegener Guest

  6. #6

    I might use an IS0 400 for the car approach etc and 100 for the still shots.

    What do you think?

    "Thor Henning Wegener" <wegeneronline.no> wrote in message
    > "Slingblade" <bladeREMOVEslingerearthREMOVElink.net> wrote in message
    > > 100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    >
    > ISO 100 films are the sharpest films, but the slowest. They need more
    light
    > and slower shutterspeed. They are not good for low light situations or
    > moving subjects.
    >
    > Kodak Professional Portra films are made for photographing people. ISO 400
    > films are good when you need faster shutterspeed for moving subjects and
    for
    > indoor photographing.
    >
    > For a overview over Kodak Portra films:

    [url]http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/portraInde[/url]
    x.jhtml?id=0.3.8.12.14&lc=en

  7. #7

    Leave the job to a professional.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  8. #8

    First of all shoot only one type of film at an important event, that way you
    don't have the wrong film in the camera. Secondly shoot 400, either Kodak
    or Fuji, but use the "pro" films, Portra 400 or NPH or the films that have
    currently replaced them. These films are lower contrast, designed to be used
    in good cameras with good lenses. Not as much "punch" but a little more
    forgiving in exposure terms. Lastly, blur implies motion, if you want to
    freeze the car, just wait until it stops.

    --
    darkroommike

    ----------
    > I might use an IS0 400 for the car approach etc and 100 for the still
    shots.

    > What do you think?
    >

    > "Thor Henning Wegener" <wegeneronline.no> wrote in message
    > > "Slingblade" <bladeREMOVEslingerearthREMOVElink.net> wrote in message
    > > > 100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    > >
    > > ISO 100 films are the sharpest films, but the slowest. They need more
    > light
    > > and slower shutterspeed. They are not good for low light situations or
    > > moving subjects.
    > >
    > > Kodak Professional Portra films are made for photographing people. ISO
    400
    > > films are good when you need faster shutterspeed for moving subjects and
    > for
    > > indoor photographing.
    > >
    > > For a overview over Kodak Portra films:

    [url]http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/portraInde[/url]
    > x.jhtml?id=0.3.8.12.14&lc=en
    > >
    > > Thor Henning Wegener
    > > [email]thor.henningcybeer.no[/email]
    > > [url]http://home.online.no/~wegener[/url]

    Mike King Guest

  9. #9

    "Slingblade" <bladeREMOVEslingerearthREMOVElink.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:32:53 +1000, "ThomasNews"
    > <thomasnewsiprimus.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >I am intending to take pictures at my sisters wedding in a couple of
    weeks.
    > >I am confused as to what speed/type of film to use in my Pentax SLR.
    > >I am worried that as the wedding car approaches, the film will be blurred
    as
    > >the car is a moving object. The wedding will be in daylight and I would
    > >also like to take photos inside the reception hall.
    > >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >Many thanks in advance.
    > >Thomas.
    >
    > 100 speed should be just fine all the way around.
    You are the moron

    Andy Guest

  10. #10

    "Randall Ainsworth" <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote in message
    > Leave the job to a professional.
    Good advice. I would do it too.

    Andy Guest

  11. #11

    "Mike King" <mikekingcableone.net> wrote in message
    > First of all shoot only one type of film at an important event, that way
    you
    > don't have the wrong film in the camera. Secondly shoot 400, either Kodak
    > or Fuji, but use the "pro" films, Portra 400 or NPH or the films that
    have
    > currently replaced them. These films are lower contrast, designed to be
    used
    > in good cameras with good lenses. Not as much "punch" but a little more
    > forgiving in exposure terms. Lastly, blur implies motion, if you want to
    > freeze the car, just wait until it stops.
    >
    > --
    > darkroommike
    >
    > ----------
    > "ThomasNews" <thomasnewsiprimus.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I might use an IS0 400 for the car approach etc and 100 for the still
    > shots.
    > >
    > > What do you think?
    > >

    > > "Thor Henning Wegener" <wegeneronline.no> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > ISO 100 films are the sharpest films, but the slowest. They need more
    > > light
    > > > and slower shutterspeed. They are not good for low light situations or
    > > > moving subjects.
    > > >
    > > > Kodak Professional Portra films are made for photographing people. ISO
    > 400
    > > > films are good when you need faster shutterspeed for moving subjects
    and
    > > for
    > > > indoor photographing.
    > > >
    > > > For a overview over Kodak Portra films:

    [url]http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/portra/portraInde[/url]
    > > x.jhtml?id=0.3.8.12.14&lc=en
    > > >
    > > > Thor Henning Wegener
    > > > [email]thor.henningcybeer.no[/email]
    > > > [url]http://home.online.no/~wegener[/url]

    Your advice is a pro one . I would follow it with confidence.

    Andy Guest

  12. #12

    This makes the most sense. Your question indicates to me that you are not
    too experienced in photography. If I were you I wouldn't want to risk the
    disappointment of my sister and the rest of the family when the photo's turn
    out to be a mess. After all this is suppost to be the day of her life.....

    Maybe you could act like a photographer with a more free role. I've done
    myself a couple of times. You are free to take the in-between pictures.
    Since you are related to the couple you can understand what they would like
    to see in the interaction between relatives.

    "Randall Ainsworth" <ragnospam.techline.com> wrote in message
    > Leave the job to a professional.

    Arnold Huzen Guest