Professional Web Applications Themes

Best way to do this? - Macromedia Freehand

I was hoping that someone could give me some hints on how to do this a little bit better. I have an image that I want to fill with a zebra pattern. I am new to freehand and I can't figure out how to fill the image with a custom pattern so that the pattern is seamless. I tried it using fireworks and I could not get it to work because I was told that the jpg was too big and I needed to create a 'tile'. Can someone get me started? Also, feel free to point me in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Best way to do this?

    I was hoping that someone could give me some hints on how to do this a
    little bit better. I have an image that I want to fill with a zebra pattern.
    I am new to freehand and I can't figure out how to fill the image with a
    custom pattern so that the pattern is seamless. I tried it using fireworks
    and I could not get it to work because I was told that the jpg was too big
    and I needed to create a 'tile'. Can someone get me started? Also, feel free
    to point me in the right section in the book. I find it hard to find what I
    need. I know what I want, just not how to get there in the book.

    Here it is>> [url]http://home.comcast.net/~doedoe7/index.html[/url]. Look at the
    freehand file. The fireworks file was put up to show those results to the
    folks in the fireworks forum.

    Thank You,

    Sandra

    Sandra Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best way to do this?

    You need to make a tiling patter. There are a variety of ways to do this,
    but the way I do it is:

    create a bounding box a certain width. Let's say 1" wide x 4" tall

    Draw a zebra stripe. Put it so that it overlaps the left side of the
    bounding box. Now duplicate/offset this stripe 1" to the right. No fill in
    the stripes in-between. Group the stripes, cut, and then paste inside the
    bounding box. You now have a pattern that will tile horizontally seemlessly.

    Group the pattern with the bounding box. Copy this and then past this as a
    pattern inside whichever shape you want to have the pattern.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  3. #3

    Darrel,

    If I read this correctly I must really start from scratch rather than fill
    with an already made pattern. Correct?

    --
    Thank You,

    Sandra

    "darrel" <notrealhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need to make a tiling patter. There are a variety of ways to do this,
    > but the way I do it is:
    >
    > create a bounding box a certain width. Let's say 1" wide x 4" tall
    >
    > Draw a zebra stripe. Put it so that it overlaps the left side of the
    > bounding box. Now duplicate/offset this stripe 1" to the right. No fill in
    > the stripes in-between. Group the stripes, cut, and then paste inside the
    > bounding box. You now have a pattern that will tile horizontally
    seemlessly.

    > Group the pattern with the bounding box. Copy this and then past this as a
    > pattern inside whichever shape you want to have the pattern.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Sandra Guest

  4. #4

    > If I read this correctly I must really start from scratch rather than fill
    > with an already made pattern. Correct?
    It depends on whether or not your already-made pattern properly tiles.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  5. #5

    Darrel,

    Couldn't I use the image you saw on my website and shrink it down to size
    like 54 x 54 or 72 x 72 or 100 x100? Would that work. I am a terrible artist
    :).

    --

    > > If I read this correctly I must really start from scratch rather than
    fill
    > > with an already made pattern. Correct?
    >
    > It depends on whether or not your already-made pattern properly tiles.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Sandra Guest

  6. #6

    Sandra wrote:
    > Couldn't I use the image you saw on my website and shrink it down to size
    > like 54 x 54 or 72 x 72 or 100 x100? Would that work.
    If you clone your zebra.jpg image and move the clone to the right so the
    edges of the two images abut, the stripes do not appear to flow from one to
    the other. Therefore it does not 'tile'.

    Draw your own tile, making sure that when the image is tiled (repeated) the
    stripes meet and flow top to bottom and side to side. To begin construction,
    show grid and snap to grid. This will help you match up stripes.

    Tile construction will be much easier if you make your zebra stripes run
    vertically. You can always rotate the tiles in FreeHand Tiled Fill object
    inspector to give the desired diagonal appearance.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Judy,

    Ahh ok I think I got it. I will give it a try. THANKS!

    --
    Thank you,

    Sandra Norris
    UOPhx FAC - Online/Onground/FlexNet
    [email]nash55email.uophx.edu[/email]

    Phone: 615-889-1711 CST
    "Judy Arndt" <jarndtshawbiz.ca> wrote in message
    > Sandra wrote:
    > > Couldn't I use the image you saw on my website and shrink it down to
    size
    > > like 54 x 54 or 72 x 72 or 100 x100? Would that work.
    >
    > If you clone your zebra.jpg image and move the clone to the right so the
    > edges of the two images abut, the stripes do not appear to flow from one
    > the other. Therefore it does not 'tile'.
    >
    > Draw your own tile, making sure that when the image is tiled (repeated)
    the
    > stripes meet and flow top to bottom and side to side. To begin
    construction,
    > show grid and snap to grid. This will help you match up stripes.
    >
    > Tile construction will be much easier if you make your zebra stripes run
    > vertically. You can always rotate the tiles in FreeHand Tiled Fill object
    > inspector to give the desired diagonal appearance.
    >
    > Judy Arndt

    Sandra Guest