Professional Web Applications Themes

Best way to export to MS Word - Adobe Indesign Windows

Other than RTF, is there a better way?...

  1. #1

    Default Best way to export to MS Word

    Other than RTF, is there a better way?
    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best way to export to MS Word

    What's wrong with RTF? What are you going to do with the Word file?

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'm not doing anything with it. Someone in Germany would like to translate our German book into Russian but they don't have InDesign and they said that their translator works best in Word. Well, we have Indy 3.0.1 and they have PM 7.0.

    The RTF looses all formatting so it might be a bit difficult for the translator to know what goes where as far as formatting. I'm worried that the finished Russian manual will not end up looking like the German.

    BTW, after Friday, we will have Indy 4.0 and those blockheads don't plan on upgrading any time soon.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    > The RTF looses all formatting

    Really? I hadn't used it before, so I just tried it. I get paragraph styles,
    italics, superscript, font changes, even the page size and margins were
    correct. I didn't try character styles.

    It's not exactly the same, but it's pretty close. Closer than I can get from
    any other DTP export.

    What formatting are you losing?

  5. #5

    The way it's laid out on the page. Everything is justified left and line after line with on special spacing rules. The fonts, sizes, colors stay in tact though.

    How are you going into RTF?

    I am doing it by saving to PDF and then saving the PDF as RTF except you're probably using a newer version of Acrobat. I'm working with 5 (after Friday we will have 7).
    George Guest

  6. #6

    > I am doing it by saving to PDF and then saving the PDF as RTF

    There's the problem. Skip Acrobat. In Indesign, select the text you want to
    save, go to File|Export|Save as Type|Rich Text Format.

    Big difference, right?

    BTW, I'm still on Acrobat 5. There's probably some good reason to upgrade,
    but I haven't come across it yet.

  7. #7

    You should get the tryout and I think you'll see why you should upgrade.
    George Guest

  8. #8

    There's the problem. Skip Acrobat. In Indesign, select the text you want
    to save, go to File|Export|Save as Type|Rich Text Format.

    Big difference, right?

    Huge! I knew this could'nt be that bad. The only thing is, you lose all the images right?
    George Guest

  9. #9

    > The only thing is, you lose all the images right?

    I think so. You tell me. I was assuming it worked the same way as the other
    text export filters (i.e., it only exports only that which you have
    selected). This would be consistent with what I would expect, though. I mean
    (at least in my world), word processors are for manipulating text. What
    would I want pictures in a word processor file for?

  10. #10

    LOL

    We'll this publication has lots of inline graphics that it doesn't export along with the text.

    I mean (at least in my world), word processors are for manipulating text.
    What would I want pictures in a word processor file for?

    You are absolutely right. They guy doesn't need the images, except that 80% of these images have call-outs and we are going to want to translate all of those in the final Indy file.

    Thanks a lot though. It looks like the Ctrl+A>Ctrl+E>RTF option is in fact the best and fastest way to do this.

    Cheers!
    George Guest