Professional Web Applications Themes

Best way to move data across multiple pages? - ASP.NET General

I am trying to build a few pages basically emulating a wizard that you might find in a Windows product. A few fields to fill out on one page, move to the next, then the next. Finally, at the end, submit the data from all the pages and save it all to a database or send it via email. What is the best way to hold this data so that it there at the end for posting to the database or email? Thanks in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default Best way to move data across multiple pages?

    I am trying to build a few pages basically emulating a wizard that you
    might find in a Windows product. A few fields to fill out on one page,
    move to the next, then the next. Finally, at the end, submit the data
    from all the pages and save it all to a database or send it via email.
    What is the best way to hold this data so that it there at the end for
    posting to the database or email?

    Thanks in advance!
    David Hearn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best way to move data across multiple pages?

    If there are only a few pages to your wizard then the best approach would
    likely to make each wizard screen into a panel on a single page. Then just
    show & hide each panel in succession as appropriate. That way all your data
    stays on one page and it's quite simple.

    Some other (more complicated) approaches involve storing the data in staging
    tables in your database in between pages, storing the data in session state,
    using hidden fields, and/or storing the data in an XML structure or strongly
    typed dataset.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD

    "David Hearn" <dhearncomcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am trying to build a few pages basically emulating a wizard that you
    > might find in a Windows product. A few fields to fill out on one page,
    > move to the next, then the next. Finally, at the end, submit the data
    > from all the pages and save it all to a database or send it via email.
    > What is the best way to hold this data so that it there at the end for
    > posting to the database or email?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Steve C. Orr, MCSD Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Steve! That was the answer I was looking for. I guess I just
    never thought about using the panels that way.

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 23:26:37 -0700, "Steve C. Orr, MCSD"
    <SteveOrr.net> wrote:
    >If there are only a few pages to your wizard then the best approach would
    >likely to make each wizard screen into a panel on a single page. Then just
    >show & hide each panel in succession as appropriate. That way all your data
    >stays on one page and it's quite simple.
    >
    >Some other (more complicated) approaches involve storing the data in staging
    >tables in your database in between pages, storing the data in session state,
    >using hidden fields, and/or storing the data in an XML structure or strongly
    >typed dataset.
    David Hearn Guest