Professional Web Applications Themes

Best Way to Replace COM? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hi, I need to create a trigger on a table to run another process that will take the new row and process/filter it, and then transport it to various other destinations (using ftp, etc). Writing the trigger is pretty easy, but I'm wondering, what is now considered to be the "best" way to interface to another process using dotnet (and C#). Here are my choices as I understand them: 1) Write a COM object and have the trigger instantiate and invoke it. 2) Write an extended stored procedure to be called by the trigger. 3) Write an external program that ...

  1. #1

    Default Best Way to Replace COM?

    Hi,

    I need to create a trigger on a table to run another process that will take
    the new row and process/filter it, and then transport it to various other
    destinations (using ftp, etc). Writing the trigger is pretty easy, but I'm
    wondering, what is now considered to be the "best" way to interface to
    another process using dotnet (and C#). Here are my choices as I understand
    them:

    1) Write a COM object and have the trigger instantiate and invoke it.
    2) Write an extended stored procedure to be called by the trigger.
    3) Write an external program that gets called by the trigger via
    xp_cmdshell.
    4) Write an XML Web Service that the trigger calls via SOAP (not sure if
    this is possible or not, but I love how easy it is to write Web Services
    using C#).

    Thanks,

    - Steve Harclerode

    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    I am no expert on this, but have you thought of using a
    Microsoft messenging queueing syste, (MSMQ), that way you
    can just send the message then let another process (other
    than SQL Server) handle it ?

    So you could have something on the server that when the
    message is activated transports whatever you want
    (probibly in a file somewhere).

    A second (and lesser) sugestion is if you are transporting
    data, have you thought of using DTS, that has a ftp
    function built in.

    Peter

    process that will take
    to various other
    pretty easy, but I'm
    interface to
    choices as I understand
    and invoke it.
    trigger.
    trigger via
    SOAP (not sure if
    write Web Services
    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Best Way to Replace COM?

    Steve,

    You could also write an extended procedure using ODS. In some of the testing
    we've done XP's are easily 100's and sometimes 1,000 times faster than COM
    objects. Especially when you consider that all COM object are instantiated in
    SQL through an extended procedure.

    Just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.

    Kind Regards,

    Tom

    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    In principle, MSMQ looks great. However, searching in SQL Server Books
    Online doesn't show anything useful about it, and searching google for ["SQL
    Server" MSMQ] doesn't seem to yield much useful (I saw one promising link
    which described a complex solution, but I was unable to access the
    "solution" page). Is there a way to use SQL Server to insert a message? Or
    were you suggesting something else?

    BTW, I can't use DTS/ftp because I have to process the record using some
    complex business logic before sending it.

    Thank you for the reply,

    - Steve

    "Peter" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    I mentioned writing an extended stored proc below as option #2 -- is ODS
    different than writing a normal extended stored proc? I've written several
    of them, but I don't remember hearing about ODS before today.

    Thx...

    - Steve

    "Tom O" <com> wrote in message
    testing
    instantiated in [/ref]
    take [/ref]
    other [/ref]
    I'm [/ref]
    understand

    >[/ref]

    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the URL, I will probably use this.

    -Steve

    "Carl Federl" <com> wrote in message

    Steve Guest