Professional Web Applications Themes

Better navigation - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

I am designing a site that is similar in navigation to the current Macromedia site. In a bar are several text buttons. I want a glow in the over state and an emboss in the down state. Plus, I want the down state to remain "on" when the "page" corresponding to that menu item is loaded. Then I want a different subset of buttons to appear beneath the bar that corresponds to the particular "page". Actually what will happen is an external html doent will be loaded with LoadVars to give the impression of a new page. The actual site ...

  1. #1

    Default Better navigation

    I am designing a site that is similar in navigation to the current Macromedia
    site. In a bar are several text buttons. I want a glow in the over state and an
    emboss in the down state. Plus, I want the down state to remain "on" when the
    "page" corresponding to that menu item is loaded. Then I want a different
    subset of buttons to appear beneath the bar that corresponds to the particular
    "page".

    Actually what will happen is an external html doent will be loaded with
    LoadVars to give the impression of a new page. The actual site image is a full
    scale .png file loaded and locked into a Flash layer.

    These buttons are rather easy to make in Fireworks. In Flash there are no easy
    bitmap effects. I have tried importing the Fireworks buttons but can't get
    there.

    One fix would be to do the navBar in Fireworks and load it on top of
    everything using CSS and divs. But then I am not really utilizinfg Flash...

    I thought MX 2004 was supposed to have improved exchange between Flash and
    Fireworks. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

    Thanks

    --ddog

    designdog Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Better navigation

    Use movieclips instead of buttons!

    then you are free to play with the images as much as you like in
    actionscript!

    "designdog" <com> wrote in message
    Macromedia
    and an
    the
    particular
    with
    full
    easy
    Flash...
    and

    privatenews.microsoft.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I know all about that. However, a movie clip requires content, and if I
    create it in Flash it will not have drop shadows, embossing, etc.

    Of course I could create variations of the text buttons in Photoshop or
    Fireworks and place them into a movie clip (or a button, for that matter.) This
    requires a lot of time, a lot of alignment issues, and does not allow easy
    updating.

    Thanks to Shane Rebenschied's new book "Beyond the Basics" I did figure out
    how to fake the down state, however.

    What I really want is the functionality of Dreamweaver's navbar within Flash.

    Another option is to split the site up into XHTML and SWF sections as
    Macromedia does on this site. The problem (for me) with that is that I have
    rounded corners with drop shadows on everything!

    With some work I could get it to go that way. Each page would have a separate
    SWF file...

    -ddog

    designdog Guest