Professional Web Applications Themes

big enlargements from 10D... what settings on camera?? - Photography

"Jim Davis" <ydavishkg.odn.ne.jp> wrote in message news:dmdqgvgnmiigse878os4noveid0q448fu14ax.com... > Try it with a simple point and shoot, that's all you'd need. Since customers won't accept images taken with one, I don't own one. Additionally, I needed, and used, all three lenses I took on this particular trip, as well as my 550EX Heck, I even used a tripod occasionally too.. Look, you simply made a "foot in mouth" mistake by stating a false absolute. Why not just admit it instead of further compounding the error with back-handed arrogance?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Re: Re: big enlargements from 10D... what settings on camera??

    "Jim Davis" <ydavishkg.odn.ne.jp> wrote in message
    > Try it with a simple point and shoot, that's all you'd need.
    Since customers won't accept images taken with one, I don't own one.
    Additionally, I needed, and used, all three lenses I took on this particular
    trip, as well as my 550EX Heck, I even used a tripod occasionally too..

    Look, you simply made a "foot in mouth" mistake by stating a false absolute.
    Why not just admit it instead of further compounding the error with
    back-handed arrogance?

    Flycaster Guest

  2. #2

    "Mark M" <mjmorgan2cox.net> wrote in message
    > While a agree that jpeg is not only excellent, but preferable under
    certain
    > cirstances...you shouldn't lump the "compression" of RAW in with that
    of
    > a jpeg. There is a huge difference.
    > Jpeg=lossy compression, where RAW keeps all image data entirely intact.
    Agreed. The point I was trying to make is that RAW is still compressed and
    has to be converted back to true pixel numerical values - and I did a poor
    job of saying that.

    I still stand by the comparison though. Large Fine JPG vs RAW, irrespective
    of print size, is NOT noticeably inferior, provided the camera settings are
    correct. I've printed enough images to be convinced of that - though I
    still shoot RAW if practical simply because the Adobe RAW plug-in can be a
    big manipulation time saver. Without a PS plug-in, however, RAW is a PITA;
    Canon should not be *allowed* to write software, IMO.

    Flycaster Guest

  3. #3

    "Flycaster" <nospamnoyb.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark M" <mjmorgan2cox.net> wrote in message
    > > While a agree that jpeg is not only excellent, but preferable under
    > certain
    > > cirstances...you shouldn't lump the "compression" of RAW in with that
    > of
    > > a jpeg. There is a huge difference.
    > > Jpeg=lossy compression, where RAW keeps all image data entirely intact.
    >
    > Agreed. The point I was trying to make is that RAW is still compressed
    and
    > has to be converted back to true pixel numerical values - and I did a poor
    > job of saying that.
    >
    > I still stand by the comparison though. Large Fine JPG vs RAW,
    irrespective
    > of print size, is NOT noticeably inferior, provided the camera settings
    are
    > correct. I've printed enough images to be convinced of that - though I
    > still shoot RAW if practical simply because the Adobe RAW plug-in can be a
    > big manipulation time saver. Without a PS plug-in, however, RAW is a
    PITA;
    > Canon should not be *allowed* to write software, IMO.
    With that big "if" of correct settings, I could mostly agree with you here.
    And...yes. Canon definitely needs to contract out for their software. Even
    after many updates and changes, their programs for images and especially RAW
    file handling continue to be arguably the poorest implementation out there.
    I'm a Canon fan, but let's face it...these programs just plain stink.

    Mark M Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:57:38 -0700, in <R5uPa.1697$Bp2.332fed1read07>,
    "Mark M" <mjmorgan2cox.net> said:
    >"Flycaster" <nospamnoyb.com> wrote in message
    >> Canon should not be *allowed* to write software, IMO.
    >
    >With that big "if" of correct settings, I could mostly agree with you here.
    >And...yes. Canon definitely needs to contract out for their software. Even
    >after many updates and changes, their programs for images and especially RAW
    >file handling continue to be arguably the poorest implementation out there.
    >I'm a Canon fan, but let's face it...these programs just plain stink.
    You won't get any argument from me about that. I worked for them for
    years, & the nicest thing I've ever been able to say about their
    software is that you get it for free. *Eleven* seconds per image for RAW
    conversion, for fsck's sake, & they never have gotten the hang of
    writing reliable drivers or installation programs.

    Lionel Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:10:19 -0700, "Flycaster" <nospamnoyb.com>
    wrote/replied to:
    >I still stand by the comparison though. Large Fine JPG vs RAW, irrespective
    >of print size, is NOT noticeably inferior, provided the camera settings are
    >correct. I've printed enough images to be convinced of that - though I
    >still shoot RAW if practical simply because the Adobe RAW plug-in can be a
    >big manipulation time saver
    And I still stand my the fact that a 16 bit TIF with no compression
    artifacts makes a much better print. Not to mention any manipulation
    that a JPG needs seriously degrades it.

    If you don't see a difference, then please ignore this and continue to
    shoot inferior images.

    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography
    [url]http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/[/url]
    Jim Davis Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:56:19 -0700, "Flycaster" <nospamnoyb.com>
    wrote/replied to:
    >Since customers won't accept images taken with one, I don't own one.
    >Additionally, I needed, and used, all three lenses I took on this particular
    >trip, as well as my 550EX Heck, I even used a tripod occasionally too..
    >
    >Look, you simply made a "foot in mouth" mistake by stating a false absolute.
    >Why not just admit it instead of further compounding the error with
    >back-handed arrogance?
    Because I was talking about photographers not amateur snapshooters
    perhaps?

    Look, if you like JPG shooting and don't care about maximizing quality
    or the ability to get more details in highlights and shadows, then
    please continue to live in ignorant bliss.

    Here's the point. You got a 1500 dollar camera with great capabilites
    and you're using it like an advance point and shoot. That's fine with
    me, but you and many others don't seem to care about maximizing your
    images. I'm just trying to educate you.

    I repeat, I have JPG shots here that are garbage due the fact that
    highlights are lost. They could have been keepers if they had been
    shot in raw. One day you will find the same thing. In the meanwhile
    you can continue to fiddle your camera setting constantly and enjoy
    it.