Professional Web Applications Themes

Bigger is better? 12" vs 15" Powerbooks - Mac Portable

Which one is better? is it worth an extra thousand dollars? I know that the 15" has an L3 cache aposed to a L2 with the 12 inch but if you just load the 12" with the max amount of ram it would still run great...right? anything i should know that might sway me either way? I want to make the best investment with my money. thanks......

  1. #1

    Default Bigger is better? 12" vs 15" Powerbooks

    Which one is better? is it worth an extra thousand dollars? I know
    that the 15" has an L3 cache aposed to a L2 with the 12 inch but if
    you just load the 12" with the max amount of ram it would still run
    great...right? anything i should know that might sway me either way? I
    want to make the best investment with my money.

    thanks...
    Gordoso45 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bigger is better? 12" vs 15" Powerbooks

    Gordoso45 <com> wrote:

    The lack of an L3 cache in the 12 inch is significant. I am lucky to
    have an Apple retailer for a best friend so I've had the opportunity to
    do some testing.

    I currently own an iBook but I'm getting ready to trade it in on a new
    PowerBook. I thought the 12 inch would be perfect but before I made the
    switch I did some testing. Comparing the current 12 and 15 inch machines
    I found that the 15 inch ran Photoshop filters about 15% faster and
    compiled Java code faster too. The 15 inch machine starts up faster and
    logs a user in faster.

    Adding more memory to the 12 inch PB doesn't make an appreciable
    difference because the L3 cache performs a specific task that RAM does
    not.

    However, in less than 24 hours it might all be moot. I am hoping like
    crazy that Steve announces a 12 inch PB revision that adds an L3 cache.
    I'd rather have a 12 inch PB that a 15 inch one.
    Strider Guest

  3. #3

    On 9/15/03 5:22 PM, in article 1g1c7u2.1xy8ladouih73N%com,
    "Strider" <com> wrote:

    > The lack of an L3 cache in the 12 inch is significant. I am lucky to
    > have an Apple retailer for a best friend so I've had the opportunity to
    > do some testing.
    >
    > I currently own an iBook but I'm getting ready to trade it in on a new
    > PowerBook. I thought the 12 inch would be perfect but before I made the
    > switch I did some testing. Comparing the current 12 and 15 inch machines
    > I found that the 15 inch ran Photoshop filters about 15% faster and
    > compiled Java code faster too. The 15 inch machine starts up faster and
    > logs a user in faster.
    >
    > Adding more memory to the 12 inch PB doesn't make an appreciable
    > difference because the L3 cache performs a specific task that RAM does
    > not.
    >
    > However, in less than 24 hours it might all be moot. I am hoping like
    > crazy that Steve announces a 12 inch PB revision that adds an L3 cache.
    > I'd rather have a 12 inch PB that a 15 inch one.[/ref]

    Owning both the 12" and 15" (the 15 is the 1GHz) I agree ... Yet I use the
    12" more. For mundane web surfing, MS Office, and other lite tasks -
    including playing Neverwinter Nights, the 12" is more than fine. But I'm
    hoping for more power as well ...

    Mike

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Gordoso45 <com> wrote:

    Which one is better? It really depends on your needs.

    I want a very portable machine for school, and occasional video editing. The
    12" is my pick.

    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    Strider <com> wrote:
    >The lack of an L3 cache in the 12 inch is significant. I am lucky to
    >have an Apple retailer for a best friend so I've had the opportunity to
    >do some testing.
    >
    >I currently own an iBook but I'm getting ready to trade it in on a new
    >PowerBook. I thought the 12 inch would be perfect but before I made the
    >switch I did some testing. Comparing the current 12 and 15 inch machines
    >I found that the 15 inch ran Photoshop filters about 15% faster and
    >compiled Java code faster too. The 15 inch machine starts up faster and
    >logs a user in faster.[/ref]

    Like most things, it depends what you are doing. CPU intensive code
    like photoshop filters will benefit well from CPU cache. GUI code tends
    not to; the execution path through the code is not linear enough for the
    cache to help much. So if you're running office applications and web
    browsing more than you are things like photoshop, the cache will be of
    less benefit (although it will still improve things, just not as much).

    At work I run various CPU-intensive codes on two different
    architectures; 800 MHz Mobile Pentium III, 512 K L2 cache, no L3, and
    466 MHz Alpha EV6, 2 MB L2 cache, no L3.

    For most codes, the two CPUs are roughly equivalent in performance.
    However, for tightly written code which sits in cache, the Alpha wins,
    by a long way. For poorly written code, or code which is interactive in
    nature, the Pentium III wins, because its bandwidth to main memory is
    better than the older alpha machines.

    I expect you'd see similar things with G4, no cache vs G3 with cache.

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  6. #6

    Default cache

    Tim Cutts <greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:<b9i*chiark.greenend.org.uk>...
    > >The lack of an L3 cache in the 12 inch is significant. I am lucky to
    > >have an Apple retailer for a best friend so I've had the opportunity to
    > >do some testing.
    > >
    > >I currently own an iBook but I'm getting ready to trade it in on a new
    > >PowerBook. I thought the 12 inch would be perfect but before I made the
    > >switch I did some testing. Comparing the current 12 and 15 inch machines
    > >I found that the 15 inch ran Photoshop filters about 15% faster and
    > >compiled Java code faster too. The 15 inch machine starts up faster and
    > >logs a user in faster.[/ref]
    >
    > Like most things, it depends what you are doing. CPU intensive code
    > like photoshop filters will benefit well from CPU cache. GUI code tends
    > not to; the execution path through the code is not linear enough for the
    > cache to help much. So if you're running office applications and web
    > browsing more than you are things like photoshop, the cache will be of
    > less benefit (although it will still improve things, just not as much).
    >
    > At work I run various CPU-intensive codes on two different
    > architectures; 800 MHz Mobile Pentium III, 512 K L2 cache, no L3, and
    > 466 MHz Alpha EV6, 2 MB L2 cache, no L3.
    >
    > For most codes, the two CPUs are roughly equivalent in performance.
    > However, for tightly written code which sits in cache, the Alpha wins,
    > by a long way. For poorly written code, or code which is interactive in
    > nature, the Pentium III wins, because its bandwidth to main memory is
    > better than the older alpha machines.
    >
    > I expect you'd see similar things with G4, no cache vs G3 with cache.
    >
    > Tim[/ref]

    Thanks Tim! so Now that the Powerbooks have been updated...there isnt
    an L3 catch...is it because its a 512k L2? is that better then a
    regular L3? I do use my computer for photoshop so its a great help to
    know that the 15" will be more efficient. but again, now both the 12
    and the 15 inch have the same Cache...WAH?

    gordoso
    Gordoso45 Guest

  7. #7

    Strider wrote:

    Well, you were right, the point is moot. Unfortunately though,
    not for the reason you thought. Apple has has dropped the L3 cache from
    all Powerbooks although they did double the L2 cache to 512K. It is an
    improvement for the 12" but a downgrade, in my opinion, for the 15" and
    17" models.

    --
    Bjorn Nitmo <com>
    Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    Bjorn Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: cache

    In article <google.com>,
    Gordoso45 <com> wrote:

    It looks to me as though the CPU performance gap between 12" and 15" is
    now much smaller than it was, but is probably still there since you can
    put more RAM in the 15", and the faster disk.

    This is all speculation though; we'll see what opinions are once a few
    people have actually tried these things. :-)

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  9. #9

    Tim Cutts <greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    Thanks Tim (this answers a question I posted in a different thread..)

    I've got a 12" on order. Hope it arrives soon...
    Kevin Guest

  10. #10

    In article <deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <com> wrote:

    > Well, you were right, the point is moot. Unfortunately though,
    > not for the reason you thought. Apple has has dropped the L3 cache from
    > all Powerbooks although they did double the L2 cache to 512K. It is an
    > improvement for the 12" but a downgrade, in my opinion, for the 15" and
    > 17" models.[/ref]

    But the speed of main memory has been increased. Doesn't that count for
    anything. It should.

    Maybe you should wait until some benchmarks come in on the performance
    of the new models to see if they are better or worse than the previous
    models with an L3 cache.

    Historically (like several years ago), I saw a computer vendor omit the
    cache totally and still beat the pants off of a rival's faster CPU.
    They did this by tuning the main memory data path and effectivily
    getting faster access to main memory.

    Apple increasing the speed of main memory could be doing the same thing
    for the new Powerbooks. I don't know, so I'm willing to wait until we
    get some benchmarks that can be compared against previous models.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest