Professional Web Applications Themes

bilingual Full text search - Macromedia Director Lingo

Hi folks, I want to make a full text search CD for 5000 html files in english and arabic. I already tried the following solutions.... 1) I first tried the Index Xtra which indexes the keywords and searches the keyword. Its really a great xtra. But arabic search is not working. 2) I copied the text of html files into the database and pointed the text to the respective html page and tried to get the html page name and I got it. Arabic search is working on some machines and its not on some. I couldn't even able to ...

  1. #1

    Default bilingual Full text search

    Hi folks,

    I want to make a full text search CD for 5000 html files in english and arabic. I already tried the following solutions....

    1) I first tried the Index Xtra which indexes the keywords and searches the keyword. Its really a great xtra. But arabic search is not working.

    2) I copied the text of html files into the database and pointed the text to the respective html page and tried to get the html page name and I got it. Arabic search is working on some machines and its not on some. I couldn't even able to type arabic in text fields of arabic.

    3) finally I tried activex control to solve arabic problem. Now I can able to type and search in arabic using the database and getting the names of the html pages. As Microsoft ADO is installed on machine its working fine. Its not working if I tried to run it on the machines where ADO is not installed.

    Can any one help me out..........

    Uzair

    uzzu webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:bilingual Full text search

    I never done this before, but from experience with web-sites that are in different languages usally does a system check of the user's computer to see if it matches the langauge of the web-site. Then if it doesn't match the web-site will ask the user to download the language and install it. So it sounds like you will either need to include the language converter or have a link for the user to download it, and then have the user install it.

    You can check the user's interface language by using this syntax...

    if (the enviroment).uiLanguage <> "Arabic" then
    make the user install this language
    end if

    I really suggest on getting more information from others as well before doing something like this. And maybe you can look through Microsoft web-site to see how billingual text works as to I belive the user will need some kind of converter

    Roofy webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    you need to install MDAC and DCOM on the target machines, you can do this very easily and it takes next to no time.
    The files you need to install are dcom95.exe, dcom98.exe and mdac_typ.exe although it's probably a good idea to search microsoft's web site for the versions of these files which are most relevant to you.

    good luck

    rick@mcorp webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Ricky,

    first I must be thankful to you coz you understood my problem very well. I'm new to lingo. Is there any way to install those files with out the notice of users. I'll be highly thankful to you if you could find a way.

    Looking forward to hear from you..........

    Thanx & Regards

  5. #5

    Microsoft sopports silent setup of MDAC_TYP.EXE using these parameters

    "mdac_typ /Q:A /C:"dasetup /Q /N"..............But they say this mode of installation should be a part of larger application setup, otherwise it may not get installed properly. If it doesn't get installed whole application will be crashed.

    I think this solution gonna be little tough to convince my client.

    What is the best alternate solution U suggest for my problem, if this doesn't work......

    plzzz help me out if U can..........

    Thanx

  6. #6

    Uzair,

    I've personally installed MDAC on all the clients who use ADO, the installation usually takes under 10 seconds (sometimes 1 or 2 seconds) and is of no inconvenience to the user whatsoever.
    The bottom line is that if they don't have the MDAC rivers then they can't use ADO to access the database. I strongly suggest you try the install yourself to see just how simple it is.

    Good luck,
    rick

    rick@mcorp webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Rick,

    Can you plz let me know how to execute MDAC_TYP.exe with parameters (mdac_typ /Q:A /C:"dasetup /Q /N")using lingo.

  8. #8

    No,

    but you can run this to install without any prompts etc.

    open "mdac_typ /Q"

    obviously this depends on the MDAC file being in the same directory as your movie

    rick@mcorp webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest