Professional Web Applications Themes

BIND 9 on a dynamic ip address - FreeBSD

    Ryan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: BIND 9 on a dynamic ip address

    Ryan J. Cavicchioni wrote:

    If you have a stable LAN ip address, it's not a
    problem. Configure BIND to listen on it and the
    dynamic address you get to use internet won't
    bother anyone (even BIND itself).

    On the other hand, configuring a DNS server
    listening on a dynamic IP address is a really
    bad idea.

    BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual is a
    good place to start (I started there a few
    weeks ago).

    http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.html

    Best wishes,
    Andrew P.
    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Andrew P. wrote:

    > If you have a stable LAN ip address, it's not a
    > problem. Configure BIND to listen on it and the
    > dynamic address you get to use internet won't
    > bother anyone (even BIND itself).
    >
    > On the other hand, configuring a DNS server
    > listening on a dynamic IP address is a really
    > bad idea.
    >
    > BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual is a
    > good place to start (I started there a few
    > weeks ago).
    >
    > http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.html
    >

    > Best wishes,
    > Andrew P.
    > "org"[/ref]

    Adding to Andrew's comments. If you do not have a LAN interface, you
    should be able to use a loopback (lo(4) interface to test things with.
    You will^H^H^H^Hshould always have lo0 up and listening to 127.0.0.1
    (/8). You can bring up other instances of lo(4) with ifconfig(8) and
    treat it as you would any other interface. For example if you want to
    create lo1, you would type:

    # ifconfig lo1 create

    If you do have a local network, you can run bind without any
    difficulties on just your local network without any problems. You just
    want to be sure that you don't tell your servers that they are
    authoritative for a real domain (e.g. freebsd.com) or else you won't be
    able to resolve any host/sub-domain from freebsd.com. You can safely
    pick a non-valid domain without expecting to run into problems. An
    example would be my.lan (e.g. host1.my.lan host2.my.lan). Since .lan is
    not a valid TLD (at least today), you can expect to use it without
    running into any collisions. I believe Cisco uses .lan as a fake "TLD"
    in some of their lower end equipment (e.g. wireless APs/routers).

    Good luck!

    -Ash
    Ash Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you for the replies. Ash, can I use my dynamic dns hostname as
    the domain which actually points to my network? Would that still be
    trouble?

    Ash wrote:

    >> If you have a stable LAN ip address, it's not a problem.
    >> Configure BIND to listen on it and the dynamic address you get to
    >> use internet won't bother anyone (even BIND itself).
    >>
    >> On the other hand, configuring a DNS server listening on a
    >> dynamic IP address is a really bad idea.
    >>
    >> BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual is a good place to start (I
    >> started there a few weeks ago).
    >>
    >> http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.html
    >>

    >> Best wishes, Andrew P.
    >> "org"[/ref]
    >

    > Adding to Andrew's comments. If you do not have a LAN interface,
    > you should be able to use a loopback (lo(4) interface to test
    > things with. You will^H^H^H^Hshould always have lo0 up and
    > listening to 127.0.0.1 (/8). You can bring up other instances of
    > lo(4) with ifconfig(8) and treat it as you would any other
    > interface. For example if you want to create lo1, you would type:
    >
    > # ifconfig lo1 create
    >
    > If you do have a local network, you can run bind without any
    > difficulties on just your local network without any problems. You
    > just want to be sure that you don't tell your servers that they are
    > authoritative for a real domain (e.g. freebsd.com) or else you
    > won't be able to resolve any host/sub-domain from freebsd.com. You
    > can safely pick a non-valid domain without expecting to run into
    > problems. An example would be my.lan (e.g. host1.my.lan
    > host2.my.lan). Since .lan is not a valid TLD (at least today), you
    > can expect to use it without running into any collisions. I believe
    > Cisco uses .lan as a fake "TLD" in some of their lower end
    > equipment (e.g. wireless APs/routers).
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > -Ash _______________________________________________
    > org mailing list
    > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To
    > unsubscribe, send any mail to
    > "org"
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ryan Guest

  5. #5

    All I am really looking to do is learn DNS and BIND as well as host my
    own local DNS server for faster DNS lookups within my home network.
    Would using the invalid LAN domain have any negative afters on my web or
    ftp server? I am really new at BIND, sorry if I seem clueless. Thank you
    for taking the time to help me out.

    Ash wrote:

    > You can use your dynamic host name as the domain, however I'm not
    > really sure why you would want to. By definition dynamic domain names
    > change; Why would you want to reconfigure your DNS server
    > configuration files as well as all of your hosts every time your ISP
    > assigns a new IP/host name to you?
    >
    > I don't see any advantage in using your dynamic host name over an
    > invalid TLD. What are the goals that you are trying to resolve by
    > using your dynamic host name as your local LAN's domain name? Perhaps
    > we can come up with a solution that requires less work, but still
    > addresses your concerns.
    >
    > -Ash
    >[/ref]
    Ryan Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry for the typo ... "afters" should be "effects". Oops. :-P.

    Ryan J. Cavicchioni wrote:

    >>You can use your dynamic host name as the domain, however I'm not
    >>really sure why you would want to. By definition dynamic domain names
    >>change; Why would you want to reconfigure your DNS server
    >>configuration files as well as all of your hosts every time your ISP
    >>assigns a new IP/host name to you?
    >>
    >>I don't see any advantage in using your dynamic host name over an
    >>invalid TLD. What are the goals that you are trying to resolve by
    >>using your dynamic host name as your local LAN's domain name? Perhaps
    >>we can come up with a solution that requires less work, but still
    >>addresses your concerns.
    >>
    >>-Ash
    >>

    >>[/ref]

    Ryan Guest

  7. #7

    >>[/ref][/ref]

    If I understand correctly what you want to do, what you name your
    network internally isn't connected to your dynamic DNS hostname at all.
    The dynamic DNS hostname only gets internet traffic to your firewall.
    Your firewall rules tell your firewall what to do with inbound connections.

    So your external hostname might be "cavicchioni.dyndns.org" But
    internally, your network can have whatever name you want. For instance,
    if you were a Star Trek fan, and had all your computers named after
    characters on Star Trek, you might name your internal network
    "ryantrek.lan". If you try to access cavicchioni.dyndns.org from a
    computer on your internal network, it has to go out to an external DNS
    server to get your external (dynamic) IP, and it will essentially route
    back to yourself, and your firewall rules will determine what happens to
    your connection. But if you want to access "spock.ryantrek.lan" from
    your internal network, it only goes to your local DNS server, and you
    connect directly to spock. Note that your dynamic dns hostname and your
    local network hostnames aren't connected in any way.

    Also note that ".lan" is an invalid TLD on the internet, but to my
    (probably warped) way of thinking, that's a bonus, as there will never
    be a site on the internet called ryantrek.lan that you might want to
    visit and not be able to because of your internal DNS.

    Or maybe I've misunderstood and this whole explanation is worthless. ;)

    Finally, I found the website http://www.sendmail.org/tips/private-dns/
    to be very helpful in setting up my local DNS server. YMMV.

    Christopher

    Christopher Guest