Professional Web Applications Themes

Binding Additional IP Addresses to Ethernet in MacOS X - Mac Networking

Hi, How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card under MacOS X? I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses, but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured! There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am looking in the wrong place!) Thanks in advance! Andrew McCall...

  1. #1

    Default Binding Additional IP Addresses to Ethernet in MacOS X

    Hi,

    How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    under MacOS X?

    I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!

    There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    looking in the wrong place!)

    Thanks in advance!

    Andrew McCall
    Andrew McCall Guest

  2. #2

    Andrew McCall wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > under MacOS X?
    >
    > I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    > but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    > /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    > can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    >
    > There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    > looking in the wrong place!)

    I'm not sure if i'm answering the question properly, but if you go
    into Network Preferences you can specify the IP address of each
    TCP/IP port. I've got 3 network cards in my server - one to my
    cable modem which DHCPs from my ISP. The other two with fixed IP
    addresses for my local network.

    Dale
    Dale Stanbrough Guest

  3. #3

    In article <3140c7c0.0307211340.7c250088posting.google.com >,
    [email]mccallh2o.demon.co.uk[/email] (Andrew McCall) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > under MacOS X?
    >
    > I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    > but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    > /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    > can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    >
    > There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    > looking in the wrong place!)
    Well, there's /sbin/ifconfig, which I think is pretty much the same as
    on Linux.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  4. #4

    In article <3140c7c0.0307211340.7c250088posting.google.com >,
    [email]mccallh2o.demon.co.uk[/email] (Andrew McCall) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > under MacOS X?
    You can easily do that in the Network System Prefs GUI...

    Click on the menu that says "Show <whatever>" and choose Network Port
    Configurations. Click New, and choose the ethernet card. You can do this
    as many times as you want.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - [url]http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/[/url]

  5. #5

    Dale Stanbrough <dstanbrobigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<dstanbro-6D0C3E.08123222072003news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Andrew McCall wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > > under MacOS X?
    > >
    > > I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    > > but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    > > /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    > > can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    > >
    > > There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    > > looking in the wrong place!)
    >

    > I'm not sure if i'm answering the question properly, but if you go
    > into Network Preferences you can specify the IP address of each
    > TCP/IP port. I've got 3 network cards in my server - one to my
    > cable modem which DHCPs from my ISP. The other two with fixed IP
    > addresses for my local network.
    Yeah, I found those :)

    What I am trying to do though, is bind 192.168.10.1, 192.168.10.2,
    192.168.10.3 all to the same network device.

    Thanks,

    Andrew McCall.
    Andrew McCall Guest

  6. #6

    Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote in message news:<tph-018468.16504621072003localhost>...
    > In article <3140c7c0.0307211340.7c250088posting.google.com >,
    > [email]mccallh2o.demon.co.uk[/email] (Andrew McCall) wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > > under MacOS X?
    > >
    > > I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    > > but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    > > /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    > > can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    > >
    > > There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    > > looking in the wrong place!)
    >
    > Well, there's /sbin/ifconfig, which I think is pretty much the same as
    > on Linux.
    I suppose I can use ifconfig to add more IP addresses, but I would
    have thought an OS such as OS X would have this capability built into
    scritpts that come with the system ala RedHat/SuSE et. al.

    Where is the config file that holds the "main" IP address that you set
    up in the System Preferences application though? If I can find that,
    I might be able to work out how IP addresses are added on system
    start, and add my new details there.

    Andrew McCall.
    Andrew McCall Guest

  7. #7

    In article <3140c7c0.0307212352.2f9e52posting.google.com>,
    [email]mccallh2o.demon.co.uk[/email] (Andrew McCall) wrote:
    > Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote in message
    > > In article <3140c7c0.0307211340.7c250088posting.google.com >,
    > > [email]mccallh2o.demon.co.uk[/email] (Andrew McCall) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    > > > under MacOS X?
    > > >
    > > > I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    > > > but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    > > > /etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    > > > can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    > > >
    > > > There is very little info on the Internet about this :( (Unless I am
    > > > looking in the wrong place!)
    > >
    > > Well, there's /sbin/ifconfig, which I think is pretty much the same as
    > > on Linux.
    >
    > I suppose I can use ifconfig to add more IP addresses, but I would
    > have thought an OS such as OS X would have this capability built into
    > scritpts that come with the system ala RedHat/SuSE et. al.
    >
    > Where is the config file that holds the "main" IP address that you set
    > up in the System Preferences application though? If I can find that,
    > I might be able to work out how IP addresses are added on system
    > start, and add my new details there.
    >
    > Andrew McCall.
    Maybe I am way off here, but I went to my Network preference pane and
    duplicated my Ethernet port (under the selection "Network Port
    Configurations" in the "Show:" popup menu). I named one port 10.0.0.1,
    another 10.0.0.3, and another 10.0.0.4. I entered those addresses
    manually, by selecting each port from the "Show:" popup menu and
    entering the IP address in the appropriate box in the TCP/IP tab. Now my
    other Mac (OS 9.0.4 IP address 10.0.0.2) can access the webserver, or
    the AFP services that are running on my OS X 10.2.6 computer using any
    of those addresses.

    Chris
    Christopher Masi Guest

  8. #8

    Andrew McCall <mccallh2o.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >How can I bind additional IP address to the internal ethernet card
    >under MacOS X?
    >
    >I would like to have my ethernet card listen on multiple IP addresses,
    >but I can't seem to find the MacOS X equivalent to Linux's
    >/etc/sysconfig/networks so I can add multiple IP addresses - indeed I
    >can't even find a file where *any* IP addresses are configured!
    Go to the Network control panel and set up a second network port
    configuration for your Ethernet card.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of