Professional Web Applications Themes

Bizarre Contribute message with Word and Excel - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I've used Contribute for about five years. Suddenly, when I open either Microsoft Excel or Word, I get a message saying "Windows installer preparing to install Macromedia Contribute 3." I have to hit cancel 3 or 4 times to get rid of the message; then Excel or Word opens without any further problems. This happens all the time, with these 2 programs. I have no problem opening Contribute the way I always have. Any ideas on how to get Excel and Word back to normal?!...

  1. #1

    Default Bizarre Contribute message with Word and Excel

    I've used Contribute for about five years. Suddenly, when I open either
    Microsoft Excel or Word, I get a message saying "Windows installer preparing to
    install Macromedia Contribute 3." I have to hit cancel 3 or 4 times to get rid
    of the message; then Excel or Word opens without any further problems. This
    happens all the time, with these 2 programs. I have no problem opening
    Contribute the way I always have. Any ideas on how to get Excel and Word back
    to normal?!

    Staplessoccer Guest

  2. #2

    Maybe disabling the office plugin will help:

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=55&catid=290&threadid=1214 943&highlight_key=y&keyword1=toolbar[/url]
    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Didn't help. I never modified, changed or upgraded Contribute in any way. And it doesn't seem to be a toolbar issue, but rather Contribute 3 trying to install itself.
    Staplessoccer Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I work for a university and we have several people with this same problem. They have just learned to deal with it, but it shouldn't be that way.
    campuniverisity Guest

  5. #5

    So how did the university folks deal with it?!
    Staplessoccer Guest

  6. #6

    We didn't. We spent way too much time trying to fix it and finally resigned to
    the fact that we couldn't. We tried to contact support, but Adobe doesn't
    provide support for Contribute 3. Everything still functions ok, but it is a
    huge annoyance.

    campuniverisity Guest

  7. #7

    THANKS -- not the answer I wanted to hear, but in the grand scheme of computer issues, things could be a whole lot worse!
    Staplessoccer Guest

  8. #8

    I call this CBS (Contribute Syndrome), the only way I fix it is you do
    what it wants. I figured this out because if you let it go it says it wants to
    read the install CD for some reason, well I put the CD in it does it's dance
    and presto no more configure message. So when the window comes up next time
    put in the Contribute CD, I've narrowed it down to it does this either when
    there is a Flash update or Java update or both, so don't lose the CD!

    Symptoms of CBS are the Contribute configuration window pops up when you:
    1) Right click on anything in windows explorer
    2) Open any Microsoft Office program
    3) Paste anything in windows explorer

    Different symptoms have happened to me for different updates so you may have
    them all or one. There also may be more symptoms but these are the ones I have
    experienced so far.

    Cheers
    Coleridge49

    samatproaccessories Guest

  9. #9

    THANKS for the insights. The only problem is, I downloaded Contribute -- don't
    have a CD! Here's how I'm solving the problem (don't laugh): I'm getting a
    new computer. NO, not because of this issue -- it was just time.

    Staplessoccer Guest

  10. #10

    I have come across this issue as well with users and the resolution for me was
    found here: [url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301[/url]. The Windows Cleanup
    Utility has been the answer for me. I agree with samatproaccessories that the
    issue appears to have something to do with Flash or Java updates. The only
    time I have seen the problem re-occur is with a change with Flash, and that was
    today.

    qdubb Guest

  11. #11

    I had same issue with word and excel 2010

    Resolution -
    File>Options>Ad Ins

    There may be a Flashpaper add in toward the top of the screen.

    In the selection box at the bottom, select "COM Add Ins" and click GO
    Select Flash paper add in and choose remove, then OK

    This worked for both excel and word for me.

    Good luck.

    Jeff
    Unregistered Guest