Professional Web Applications Themes

black and white photos - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm having difficulty printing black and white photos with my HP845c. With the image on gray scale and printing with print in gray scale in the printer set-up the image comes out blue. The only way I able to get black is to specify that I'm printing on plain paper (rather than photo paper) and specify black. If I print at 'high quality' it is blue. with black only option the print quality is very poor even on best quality. Any suggestions/help would be great. Thanks,...

  1. #1

    Default black and white photos

    I'm having difficulty printing black and white photos with my HP845c. With the image on gray scale and printing with print in gray scale in the printer set-up the image comes out blue. The only way I able to get black is to specify that I'm printing on plain paper (rather than photo paper) and specify black. If I print at 'high quality' it is blue. with black only option the print quality is very poor even on best quality. Any suggestions/help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Sam Posner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: black and white photos

    What kind of photo paper are you using, Sam? The fact you can get the image to print correctly on plain paper leads me to believe you might be using something other than an HP branded photo paper. These inkjets can be pretty picky, and virtually every manufacturer has tied their ink to their own paper. I have an HP 1215, and when I use a Kodak paper, for example, I have to make adjustments within the printer software to account for the variation. When I use HP paper, I can let it just "do its own thing."

    If, however, you are using HP paper, post back and let us know so we can toss out some other ideas. This was just the first thought I had.
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    I am working on a project for the 42nd Rainbow Division veterans' association that involves collecting old photos and info from WW1 and WW2 vets. Do you have any tips on enhancing some of the older photos. I know how to restore as far as cracks, acid spots and things like that. But are there tricks to making the best looking photo possible?
    Tim Robertson Guest

  4. #4

    Tim,

    I think a search on Google using search terms such as photoshop, restore, repair, "old photos", technique, tutorial, tips etc will give you lots of hits. This program is capable of making just horrible old photos look great, I have had success with this.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  5. #5

    "Tim Robertson" <trobertson1cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am working on a project for the 42nd Rainbow Division veterans'
    association that involves collecting old photos and info from WW1 and WW2
    vets. Do you have any tips on enhancing some of the older photos. I know how
    to restore as far as cracks, acid spots and things like that. But are there
    tricks to making the best looking photo possible?

    One word of personal taste: don't manipulate too much. A restored photo
    should be easier to look at than the original, but leaving some defects adds
    to the patina of history. I'd leave ragged time worn edges alone, but I
    agree I'd work hard at bringing detail back into faces and important objects
    in the photo. While not as historic as the project you're involved in, I'm
    doing old photos of my family.

    You may already be doing things this way, but I sometimes scan at a high
    resolution to produce a large image, do my enhancing and then reduce the
    final image size. The larger image and higher resolution give me more to
    work with.

    Major Malfunction Guest