Professional Web Applications Themes

Black and White Scan Question - Adobe Acrobat Windows

When scanning a doent, if I choose black and white setting the background is black with white text. Is there a way to reverse this so the text is black with a white background?...

  1. #1

    Default Black and White Scan Question

    jeffrjackson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Black and White Scan Question

    Is the source doent actually white on black or black on white?
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The source doent background is white with black text
    jeffjackso@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    We have the same problem. White background with black text scanned with Adobe reverses the colors to make it look like a negative; black background with white text.

    This is using a Brother DCP-1000 scanner/copier/printer. The scanner device is listed in Adobe as: TWAIN_32 Brother MFLPro Color.

    This also is a problem when using a Brother MFC-4420C.

    It is NOT a problem when using an HP PSC 750.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    That really sounds like a Brother Twain driver problem.
    I would try to download updated drivers.
    One work-around would be to scan it into a graphics application, then change the doent color to negative (to get it back to normal). From there, print to PDF Distiller and you should have the doent in proper color.
    Gerry
    Gerry_Heinemann@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm not sure that's the problem. I've tried different drivers from their site and spoke with their tech support. They were pointing the fingers at Adobe.

    It worked fine with the Brother scanners when we had Acrobat 5.0. We upgraded to 6.0 recently and discovered the problem. We had to revert a couple of key pdf makers back to version 5.0 so they could continue working. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out how we can get everyone on 6.0.

    Acrobat 5.0 + Brother works
    Acrobat 6.0 + Brother makes black & white scans look like a negative.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    What OS is this, Win 2K or XP?
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Win2k SP4
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I remember someone else having this same problem with a Brother scanner and Win 2K. It was indeed the TWAIN driver.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Were they able to use a different TWAIN driver to fix the problem or was it just concluded that it was the driver without sufficient verification? I ask because I tried the drivers for this printer from the Brother website. If there is an alternative driver out there I'll give it a shot.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I don't remember, but I think they narrowed it down to the TWAIN driver by using the same scanner and same version of Acrobat on an XP machine that used the Brother WIA driver instead of the TWAIN. I don't think 2K can use WIA drivers.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    My printer is a Brother MFC3100C and computer uses Win 2K. My choices in Adobe when scanning include Brother MFC3100C (Scanner doesn't work when I select this) and Twain Brother MFC3100C (Scanner works but reverses colors)
    jeffrjackson@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I have tried using the drivers from different versions.

    DCP-1000
    DCP-1400
    DCP-8025
    MFC-9800

    The only two versions I can get to appear in the driver details is:
    Provider: Brother
    Driver Date: 12/4/2001
    Driver Version: 1.1.2.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft
    File Version: 1.45.11.370

    Provider: Brother
    Driver Date: Not Available
    Driver Version: 0.0.0.2
    Digital Signer: Not Digitally Signed
    File Version: 1.45.11.370

    I guess they use the same twain driver for everything.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    This problem is all too common with scanning manufacturers / sofware writers.

    There never is a definitive solutiom, as no-one will agree who is not doing the job correctly, as there are different opinions on how it should be done.

    Bit like Protestants and Catholics, same God, but different opinions on how he should be worshipped....

    Basically, I guess there is some use of the tiff format in the scanning process. The TIFF format allows for different ways of scanning, and specifiying which way round a b&w image is constructed.

    There are two tags, min-is-white and min-is-black, and in therory, you can use either, to get the smallest file size depending on the content of your original.

    Trouble is, Brother, and other low end scanners always use one format, lets say min is black, but don't set the tags. Their scanning application reverses the image irrespective of the tag. When a 3rd party app, like Acrobat uses the TWAIN interface, it is presented with an image, looks at the tag, and effectively gets it wrong.

    This can be further confused by some viewers like Kodak Imaging (or it's Windows variants), that actually yses the scan, and reverses it if it thinks it is 'negative'. This further clouds the issue, as the end user then thinks, hang on, I've got two applications here that show the scan correctly, why does Acrobat get it wrong?.

    Sorry to drone on about this, and it's not going to help sort out the problem with Acrobat, as both Adobe and Brother will INSIST that they are not at fault, and blame the other.

    Best solution is to scan to a inermediate tif file, and open it in a 3rd party editing tool to set the tags correctly.

    [url]www.imagemagick.org[/url] has a tool that allows for manipulation of almost all features of a tiff file ....
    Ian_Mellors@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    That makes sense.

    I wonder if I could find those settings embedded in the registry somewhere. I'm quite comfortable with registry editing.

    Unfortunately the third party tool won't help in this particular instance. This person is responsible for scanning multiple doents and it would be counter-productive to have to then modify 50 doents on an individual basis. I can get around the scanning on a small scale.

    Thanks for chiming in. I'm going to hunt for those tiff settings in the registry.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    The closest I could find was:

    Black is 0

    with the value "Yes"

    I tried setting the value to "No" in both instances but it didn't help.
    Allen_Boatright@adobeforums.com Guest