Professional Web Applications Themes

Black Objects print as screens to printer - Adobe Indesign Windows

We recently purchased InDesign CS and are in the process of converting our PageMaker 7.0 files and have encountered an issue where black objects (both text and graphics) print as screens when sent to the printer. The doent was converted using the Pagemaker Conversion Plug-In and all text and objects appear to be black. Highlighted text shows 100% black in the color swatch but does not print this way. The interesting thing is that the same doent when opened on another computer that does not have the Pagemaker Conversion Plug-In installed will print as it should. In other words all ...

  1. #1

    Default Black Objects print as screens to printer

    We recently purchased InDesign CS and are in the process of converting our PageMaker 7.0 files and have encountered an issue where black objects (both text and graphics) print as screens when sent to the printer.

    The doent was converted using the Pagemaker Conversion Plug-In and all text and objects appear to be black. Highlighted text shows 100% black in the color swatch but does not print this way.

    The interesting thing is that the same doent when opened on another computer that does not have the Pagemaker Conversion Plug-In installed will print as it should. In other words all black objects (text and graphics) print as solid black.

    I have tested this by converting a couple of Pagemaker doents and have the same result.

    Is there a setting in the Conversion Plug-In that I have missed turning off or on? or do I need to do something to my PageMaker doent prior to converting it so that InDesign converts the colors properly?
    Elaine_Duncan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Black Objects print as screens to printer

    My first guess is a color management conflict.

    Open one of the problem docs in InDesign.
    Edit > Color Settings
    Is the Enable Color Management box checked? If so, uncheck it and see if your output improves.

    HTH
    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Good guess! I have the same problem on some of my doents, where solid black prints as dark grey, when converting to PDF. Printing directly to the printer gives a good fully saturated black.

    Lucien.
    Lucien_Schilling@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious about the usefulness of the PageMaker conversion plugin. With the exception of paragraph rules, I haven't had any problems simply opening PageMaker files in ID. Are there advantages to using the plugin?
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The PM plugins add the ability to open PM 6.0 files. They also add a
    nice toolbar, a special edition of InBooklet, a merge feature, a very
    basic bullet and numbering ability and few other niceties.

    Well worth having, IMO.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest