Professional Web Applications Themes

Blad 501cm for students - Photography

Hi all, What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm, would people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66. Thanks, J...

  1. #1

    Default Blad 501cm for students

    Hi all,

    What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm, would
    people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66.

    Thanks, J

    JM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Blad 501cm for students

    "JM" <sjmarriottoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    news:3f0bdd3f$0$31276$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm,
    would
    > people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66.

    What is the requirement for the Blad above and beyond that of 35mm cameras ?

    I would rather have a Pentax or Blad 645 system with AF.

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    Brenton wrote:
    > JM wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm, would
    >>people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66.
    >>
    >>Thanks, J
    >

    > IF it was me.. I'd go and buy a very large set of second hand Bronica
    > SQ-A gear for the same price. Then if you decide that MF gear is too
    > hard & expensive to use and you sell it.. at least you will be able to
    > get most/all/more money back :-)
    > BRenton
    Yep!

    You would be stuck with something that will not give you a return if you
    decide not to pursue this type of photography.

    Far too expensive for the limited use of MF. Surely you can pick up a
    full kit of 500cm Blad stuff for that price. If you see yourself with a
    6x6 camera.

    What is you intended use of the MF gear?

    People that use MF gear nowdays should have there own darkroom and thats
    becoming a pastime thats almost finished.

    ops Guest

  4. #4

    "Brenton" <neuschulzbigpond.com> wrote in message
    > JM wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm,
    would
    > > people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66.
    > >
    > > Thanks, J
    >
    > IF it was me.. I'd go and buy a very large set of second hand Bronica
    > SQ-A gear for the same price. Then if you decide that MF gear is too
    > hard & expensive to use and you sell it.. at least you will be able to
    > get most/all/more money back :-)
    > BRenton
    I had a Blad some time ago, but sold it and got the Bronica SQ-A... it was a
    great camera... the Blad was good too, but the hassle(blad) was that it was
    gunna cost me a fortune for the extra lenses.

    You could always just put the $$$ toward a 1Ds and forget about medium
    format all together :-)

    Russell Stewart Guest

  5. #5

    > You could always just put the $$$ toward a 1Ds and forget about medium
    > format all together :-)

    Or you could just put the money toward a Canon S40 and not worry about
    anything.

    Miro Guest

  6. #6

    Miro wrote:

    > > You could always just put the $$$ toward a 1Ds and forget about medium
    > > format all together :-)
    > >

    > Or you could just put the money toward a Canon S40 and not worry about
    > anything.
    No you can't... 'real' photography is SUPPOSED to be hard and expensive
    BRenton
    Brenton Guest

  7. #7

    JM wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > What does everyone think of the $3295 offer for the hasselblad 501cm, would
    > people recommend as an entry to 645 and 66.
    >
    > Thanks, J
    Here you go.. this weeks traing post,,,, you won't beat the price IMO
    and if you resell on ebay.. you could probably make a profit.
    Way better value than a blad for basically the same price.

    BRONICA ETRS 645 Two bodies, 4 lenses, pistol grips, 4 x 120 backs,
    Polaroid back, motor drive, AEII metered prism, rotary prism, soft bag
    plus more, very good condition, $3500 negotiable COLONEL LIGHT GARDENS
    08-8276 4339 [email]shutechariot.net.au[/email]

    BRenton
    Brenton Guest

  8. #8

    > BRONICA ETRS 645 Two bodies, 4 lenses, pistol grips, 4 x 120 backs,
    > Polaroid back, motor drive, AEII metered prism, rotary prism, soft bag
    > plus more, very good condition, $3500 negotiable COLONEL LIGHT GARDENS
    > 08-8276 4339 [email]shutechariot.net.au[/email]
    >

    > BRenton
    You do realise that Bronica was a 2nd rate cheapo brand till Nikon jacked up
    the price.

    Miro Guest

  9. #9

    " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3f0cf3aa$0$26638$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...

    > > BRONICA ETRS 645 Two bodies, 4 lenses, pistol grips, 4 x 120 backs,
    > > Polaroid back, motor drive, AEII metered prism, rotary prism, soft bag
    > > plus more, very good condition, $3500 negotiable COLONEL LIGHT GARDENS
    > > 08-8276 4339 [email]shutechariot.net.au[/email]
    > >

    > > BRenton
    >
    > You do realise that Bronica was a 2nd rate cheapo brand till Nikon jacked
    up
    > the price.

    I don't believe that I am doing this... replying to Miro, but here I go.
    :-)

    Having owned both, I can tell you that the Bronica is every bit as good as
    the Blad for everyday commercial work. I will bet my life savings that you
    could not pick the difference in my trans. from my Broni or from my
    Blad..... and from a business point of view the Broni paid for itself in 1/2
    the time.

    Will the Blad outlast the Broni? Yes and no.... when I sold my Broni, I
    could show you Blads 1/2 the age and they were stuffed, while the Broni was
    like new... it all depends how you treat them.

    The other way you could look at.... is the Broni 2nd rate or is Blad just
    over priced?

    Russell Stewart Guest

  10. #10

    " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3f0d3f28$0$26636$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...

    > > Having owned both, I can tell you that the Bronica is every bit as good
    as
    > > the Blad for everyday commercial work. I will bet my life savings that
    > you
    > > could not pick the difference in my trans. from my Broni or from my
    > > Blad..... and from a business point of view the Broni paid for itself in
    > 1/2
    > > the time.
    > >

    > Never saw a 10 year old Bronica that didnt feel loose and like it would
    fall
    > apart. Maybe people just worship the 'blads and treat them accordingly.

    Like I said, it all depends how you treat your equipment..... ever looked at
    a press photographers 400mm??

    Russell Stewart Guest

  11. #11

    "Russell Stewart" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote in message

    > " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:3f0d3f28$0$26636$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > >
    > > > Having owned both, I can tell you that the Bronica is every bit as
    good
    > as
    > > > the Blad for everyday commercial work. I will bet my life savings
    that
    > > you
    > > > could not pick the difference in my trans. from my Broni or from my
    > > > Blad..... and from a business point of view the Broni paid for itself
    in
    > > 1/2
    > > > the time.
    > > >

    > > Never saw a 10 year old Bronica that didnt feel loose and like it would
    > fall
    > > apart. Maybe people just worship the 'blads and treat them accordingly.
    > >

    > Like I said, it all depends how you treat your equipment..... ever looked
    at
    > a press photographers 400mm??

    True enough ..... seen spent ammo in better condition.

    Miro Guest

  12. #12

    whats this???? Miro being REASONABLE??? Perhaps even HUMBLE????
    I never thought i'd see the day.

    " Miro" <miro01hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3f0d3f4d$0$26638$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...

    > "Brenton" <neuschulzbigpond.com> wrote in message

    GARDENS

    > > > You do realise that Bronica was a 2nd rate cheapo brand till Nikon
    > jacked up
    > > > the price.
    > >
    > > Older Bronica is CRAP... newer stuff if great (SQA, GS-1 and ETRS
    > > onwards)... especially for the SH price of course as always.. IMO.
    > > I would own a bronica before a blad or even a RB (not an RZ) anyday.
    > >

    > Well my old knowledge may well be tainted. Maybe I should have another
    look.

    nt Guest

  13. #13

    "nt" <privateprivate.com> wrote in message
    > whats this???? Miro being REASONABLE??? Perhaps even HUMBLE????
    > I never thought i'd see the day.
    The internet is a challenge isnt it

    Miro Guest

  14. #14

    Bob Monaghan wrote:

    > Huh? The classic bronicas such as S2A and EC/ECTL use the nikkor medium
    > format lenses, along with some Carl Zeiss lenses along with the later
    > zenzanons, all of which are stellar lenses for the $$. In blind lens test
    > comparisons by pro/serious amateur photographers, the bronica s2/EC
    > nikkors were higher rated than either the rolleiflex or hasselblad zeiss
    > optics from identical scene shots on the same batch of film, processing.
    >
    > bobm
    > --
    > ************************************************** *********************
    > * Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
    > ********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
    <<<insert the important part>>>>
    Older Bronica is CRAP... newer stuff if great (SQA, GS-1 and ETRS
    onwards)... especially for the SH price of course as always.. IMO.
    I would own a bronica before a blad or even a RB (not an RZ) anyday.

    My favorite was a bronica SQAM (it would teffify dogs and old ladies
    when the motor wound on) with a 80 mm and a 150 mm that I owned for
    several months before the "call of the wild (ebay)" caused me to sell
    it.
    Brenton
    <<</insert>>>>

    There is much more to being a good camera than having a nice sharp lens
    IMO. There is ease of use, reliability of shutters and aperture, ease of
    use of the bodies, functions of the bodies etc. etc... and in all these
    cases... older bronica are CRAP compared to the newer models
    mentioned... IMO of course.
    BRenton
    Brenton Guest

  15. #15

    > There is much more to being a good camera than having a nice sharp lens
    > IMO. There is ease of use, reliability of shutters and aperture, ease of
    > use of the bodies, functions of the bodies etc. etc... and in all these
    > cases... older bronica are CRAP compared to the newer models
    > mentioned... IMO of course.
    > BRenton
    There are only two functions. F-stop and shutter speed.

    Miro Guest

  16. #16

    again, Hmmm? ;-) The cloth shutter of the classic S2/S2A and later all
    mechanical bronica cameras are notable as one of the best and least
    troublesome 6x6cm designs ever. The earlier bronicas had problems with
    wearing of brass gearing during heavy pro usage, fixed in these later
    models with steel gearing etc. The EC series were a redesign from ground
    up to provide electronic shutter and allow for TTL autoexposure in the
    ECTL - the first medium format camera and brand to have that feature! ;-)

    if the classic bronica S2/S2A and EC/ECTL are so bad, why are they
    fetching prices at dealers in USA of $500-$650+ USD, which is about what a
    similar kit of ETR/SQ would cost? Again, the major reason is good value
    and the stellar optics available. There are also great advantages in the
    focal plane shutter (though leaf shutter nikkor 105mm is available too)
    for hacking lenses to this camera. It also has a unique tilt/shift bellows
    that lets you use all its lenses as macro lenses, running from infinity to
    high magnifications with tilts/shifts (for $200 bellows kit). Nifty ;-)

    Bronica has an odd habit of dropping things just when they'd got it all
    worked out - guess the GS-1 is next? ;-)

    bobm

    * Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
    Bob Monaghan Guest