Professional Web Applications Themes

Bleed marks for PDF output - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi there- I created an annual report in ID CS for PC and used bleed marks in the doent setup. My printer can't open ID files and gave me very specific settings to follow to print to PDF fo the RIP. Here's my question: When I print to distiller, I use the presets given to me. But do I uncheck bleed marks in the marks and Bleeds area and check Use Doent Settings or do both? Each page is an 8.5 X 11 landscaped with bleeds and the printer asked me to ouput it to Legal size to allow for ...

  1. #1

    Default Bleed marks for PDF output

    Hi there-

    I created an annual report in ID CS for PC and used bleed marks in the doent setup. My printer can't open ID files and gave me very specific settings to follow to print to PDF fo the RIP.

    Here's my question: When I print to distiller, I use the presets given to me. But do I uncheck bleed marks in the marks and Bleeds area and check Use Doent Settings or do both? Each page is an 8.5 X 11 landscaped with bleeds and the printer asked me to ouput it to Legal size to allow for the bleeds and trim. I just want to make sure that the marks given to them will bleed and trim to fit exactly 8.5 X 11 and not somehow double up on the marks and cause the doent to output smaller.

    I apologize if this isn't clear; I'm just a little frazzled. Can anyone help me?

    Much obliged-
    Rick
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bleed marks for PDF output

    Each page is an 8.5 X 11 landscaped with bleeds and the printer asked
    me to ouput it to Legal size to allow for the bleeds and trim

    That won't work, because Legal is the same width as Letter, so no trim or bleed information will exist for left and right sides.

    That's a very strange request. Why not output with bleeds (I always leave "Use doent bleed settings" checked), trim marks, and bleed marks onto a 9.5" x 12" page? In Acrobat Pro, set your preferences to show trim area and bleed area to proof the file. Any printer that has trouble using that file will be out of business in a couple of years.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Scott-

    Thanks for the reply. This printing company is very established, but they don't have ID (I know, but their quote was 60% cheaper than all others and my organization has used them before). I believe I'm the one who isn't understanding this...In terms of the paper size, that was dumb of me. I didn't see the Custom Option. I've resized the PDF page to be 9.5 X 12. My question is still this: If I click All Printer's Marks, it includes a Bleed Setting. Should I deselect that, include all other marks and check use Doent settings? Will that ensure when the plate are created using the PDF, the bleeds and trims will be 8.5 X 11?
    Thanks!
    Rick_Arnaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Your printer can answer that better than I can, it is they who wiould use the bleed marks, or ignore them. I doubt there's any adcantage to not including them. So long as the crop marks are correct and the printer has the same dimensions from you for trim size. The bleed marks are just a guide, but since they are data, they are better than nothing.

    As for other marks, all I ever use are trim marks, bleed marks, and file information. And I make PDFs for print almost every day.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Scott-

    I was planning on including SOME bleed marks, I just wasn't sure if I should use my Doent Settings Bleed marks as well as the ones that are given as an option in the All Printer's Marks setting. I'm going with my doent setting belled marks. It's ready to go and including a hardcopy with the disk so they understand what I'm going for. Thanks for your help and patience; I'm learning these things as I go.

    Best regards,