Professional Web Applications Themes

Blinking Monitor - Windows XP/2000/ME

I have a new Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Every so often my monitor will go black for a second and then come back on and then 5 or 6 seconds later it will do the exact same thing ... then it won't happen again for several hours. I contacted Dell and they had me do a bunch of tests and ended up sending me a new monitor .... but it does exactly the same thing as the first monitor. I have installed the latest drivers for this monitor from Dell and for my video card (but it happened before I ...

  1. #1

    Default Blinking Monitor

    I have a new Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Every
    so often my monitor will go black for a second and then come back on and
    then 5 or 6 seconds later it will do the exact same thing ... then it won't
    happen again for several hours. I contacted Dell and they had me do a bunch
    of tests and ended up sending me a new monitor .... but it does exactly the
    same thing as the first monitor. I have installed the
    latest drivers for this monitor from Dell and for my video card (but it
    happened before I installed the new drivers for both monitor/video card
    too). Dell support s! Any suggestions?
    Thanks a lot.
    --
    Michael Mauzey
    239 SE 3rd Avenue

    Michael Mauzey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Blinking Monitor

    Hi Michael,

    Did they replace the cabling as well? Sounds like one cord has a frayed wire
    in it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]

    "Michael Mauzey" <pormikecablerocket.com> wrote in message
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Every
    > so often my monitor will go black for a second and then come back on and
    > then 5 or 6 seconds later it will do the exact same thing ... then it
    won't
    > happen again for several hours. I contacted Dell and they had me do a
    bunch
    > of tests and ended up sending me a new monitor .... but it does exactly
    the
    > same thing as the first monitor. I have installed the
    > latest drivers for this monitor from Dell and for my video card (but it
    > happened before I installed the new drivers for both monitor/video card
    > too). Dell support s! Any suggestions?
    > Thanks a lot.
    > --
    > Michael Mauzey
    > 239 SE 3rd Avenue
    > Canby, Oregon 97013-4415
    > [email]pormikecablerocket.com[/email]

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, but your expertise is over my head ... i don't know what you mean by
    cabling ... the connection between the monitor and the computer itself?
    Thanks ...

  4. #4

    From my days in radio communications, I had the same thought. The cable or
    cord between the back of the computer and the back of the monitor. Many
    wires in there, any one of which can get broken or shorted out with a too
    severe bend of the cable. It is best to have the straightest run of that
    cable between the two. Another consideration: those multiple-pinned plugs
    are notorious for getting bad or broken pins. Same result and need for
    cable replacement.

    Malv

    > Sorry, but your expertise is over my head ... i don't know what you mean
    by
    > cabling ... the connection between the monitor and the computer itself?
    > Thanks ...
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > Did they replace the cabling as well? Sounds like one cord has a frayed
    wire
    > in it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    >
    > "Michael Mauzey" <pormikecablerocket.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a new Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Every
    > > so often my monitor will go black for a second and then come back on and
    > > then 5 or 6 seconds later it will do the exact same thing ... then it
    > won't
    > > happen again for several hours. I contacted Dell and they had me do a
    > bunch
    > > of tests and ended up sending me a new monitor .... but it does exactly
    > the
    > > same thing as the first monitor. I have installed the
    > > latest drivers for this monitor from Dell and for my video card (but it
    > > happened before I installed the new drivers for both monitor/video card
    > > too). Dell support s! Any suggestions?
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > > --
    > > Michael Mauzey
    > > 239 SE 3rd Avenue
    > > Canby, Oregon 97013-4415
    > > [email]pormikecablerocket.com[/email]

    Malvern Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    Both the power cabling and the video cable.

  6. #6

    Might pay to call them back and ask for a video card replacement since the
    monitor has been eliminated.

    "Michael Mauzey" <pormikecablerocket.com> wrote in message
    > I have a new Dell Dimension 8250 computer. Every
    > so often my monitor will go black for a second and then come back on and
    > then 5 or 6 seconds later it will do the exact same thing ... then it
    won't
    > happen again for several hours. I contacted Dell and they had me do a
    bunch
    > of tests and ended up sending me a new monitor .... but it does exactly
    the
    > same thing as the first monitor. I have installed the
    > latest drivers for this monitor from Dell and for my video card (but it
    > happened before I installed the new drivers for both monitor/video card
    > too). Dell support s! Any suggestions?
    > Thanks a lot.
    > --
    > Michael Mauzey