Professional Web Applications Themes

Blurred closups - Photography

Hi I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel digital camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry. Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry. I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not any additional lenses or lighting. The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference. Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this? Thanks Bob...

  1. #1

    Default Blurred closups

    Hi

    I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel digital
    camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry
    (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.

    I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not any
    additional lenses or lighting.

    The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.

    Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?

    Thanks

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Blurred closups

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    digital
    > camera
    Witch model? Are there more than on 5 meg models? Does it have a macro
    mode? Every camera is different but the flower icon does not always mean
    closeup, my guess is it is making your job more difficult.
    > and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry
    > (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    >
    > I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not
    any
    > additional lenses or lighting.
    >
    > The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    Joseph Meehan Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    digital
    > camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry
    > (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    >
    > I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not
    any
    > additional lenses or lighting.
    >
    > The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    Each camera is different in how close you can get with the closeup (macro)
    setting. Perhaps you are getting closer than that distance. Check the
    manual for the camera. If the closest you can get doesn't give you a
    picture where the jewelry fills the photo, just crop the picture. With 5 Mp
    you can do a lot of cropping and still get a good print or screen image.

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  4. #4

    Hi

    Thanks. It is a Sony cybershot 5.0 megapixel with a 10x zoom and a Carl
    Zeiss lense.

    What I have had to do is stand far away and take pictures with a little zoom
    and then crop them as much as I can.

    I will check the macro setting, as I had not thoguht of that. I also read
    somewhere that I might needa macro lense, and I was wondering if that was
    worth it?

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    digital
    > camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry
    > (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    >
    > I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not
    any
    > additional lenses or lighting.
    >
    > The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    | Hi
    |
    | I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    digital
    | camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    | Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the
    jewelry
    | (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    |
    | I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and
    not any
    | additional lenses or lighting.
    |
    | The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    |
    | Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Bob

    If it is similar to Nikons I know and love, the flower changes color
    when the zoom state is within a range where Macro focusing can be
    effected.

    On a CP5700's 35-280 equivalent, the macro works from about 50-110mm.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:6d35d6645ce8cb2fb81de16e6e1d67cefree.teranew s.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks. It is a Sony cybershot 5.0 megapixel with a 10x zoom and a Carl
    > Zeiss lense.
    That seems to be true for more than one of their current models. In
    addition I was not able to find the focus range on their web site for those
    cameras. Check your manual it sould say somewhere what the min focus is.

    I suspect the flower Icon is causing you to have less depth of focus
    than you might get otherwise. Can you set things manually?

    > What I have had to do is stand far away and take pictures with a little
    zoom
    > and then crop them as much as I can.
    >
    > I will check the macro setting, as I had not thoguht of that. I also read
    > somewhere that I might needa macro lense, and I was wondering if that was
    > worth it?
    >
    > "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    > news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    > digital
    > > camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > > Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the
    jewelry
    > > (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    > >
    > > I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not
    > any
    > > additional lenses or lighting.
    > >
    > > The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    > >
    > > Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Bob

    Joseph Meehan Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Bob

    I got the same camera and dont have that problem! but i know what you mean!
    you have a macro button on the right of the menu its the little flower! you
    should not get any closer than 19 cm's! that all in the book you recieved
    with the cam? when taking the macro shot i notice it get blurred and then it
    get clear just as i press the shot! when revievwing the picture give it a
    few seconds o load! cos 5 megapixels takes a bit longer! i found though when
    going tooo close to the subject it gets blurred! im only a newbie so some of
    the brainy guys can maybe explain how this all works! f=8 - 24mm 1:2.8 -5.6
    this info is on the lens and maybe someone can explain it better.
    center AF works nice with small objects instead of multi af
    after you take the photo you can you can zoom in with the W T button to
    get closer.

    Stephen

    "Frank ess" <fsheffi1sandotrr.com> wrote in message
    news:eyiQa.136670$49.5423572twister.socal.rr.com. ..

    > "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    > news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > | Hi
    > |
    > | I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    > digital
    > | camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > | Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the
    > jewelry
    > | (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    > |
    > | I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and
    > not any
    > | additional lenses or lighting.
    > |
    > | The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    > |
    > | Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Bob
    > |

    > If it is similar to Nikons I know and love, the flower changes color
    > when the zoom state is within a range where Macro focusing can be
    > effected.
    >
    > On a CP5700's 35-280 equivalent, the macro works from about 50-110mm.
    >
    > Frank ess

    DUH Guest

  9. #9

    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:6d35d6645ce8cb2fb81de16e6e1d67cefree.teranew s.com...
    > ... It is a Sony cybershot 5.0 megapixel with a 10x zoom and a Carl
    > Zeiss lense.
    I am not aware of a camera with those specs. Among the 5MP Sony
    Cybershots, the DSC-V1 has a 4x zoom, the DSC-P10 and DSC-P92
    have 3x zooms, and the DSC-F717 has a 5x zoom. Since the F717
    is closest to what you said and I happen to have one, I will assume
    that's what you are using. The F717 is a marvelous camera, but it
    is simply not designed for extreme close-ups. The maximum
    magnification is obtained with the zoom at its widest setting,
    which means the camera has to be about an inch from the subject.
    This makes proper lighting all but impossible, since the camera
    will block the light unless it is coming from way to the side.
    It is also difficult to position the camera without using a macro
    focusing rail on a tripod. To get adequate depth of field, you
    need to use a very small aperture, but the smallest aperture
    that can be set is f/8 (larger numbers represent smaller apertures),
    while you would probably need f/11 or f/16. And although the lens
    is superb at normal focusing distances, it has severe barrel
    distortion at high magnifications.

    As Don Stauffer suggested, you could try buying a close-up lens,
    but this will not help you regarding depth of field, and you will
    get mediocre image quality at best.

    If the person who sold you a F717 claimed it was good for
    extreme close-ups, you should demand your money back and
    try to find a more competent dealer.

    You will get *much* better results from a D-SLR with a 100mm
    or 200mm macro lens, but of course that will cost a lot more.

    Warren Sarle Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Don Stauffer Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    Hi Bob,

    First thing we have to verify is which 5Mp Sony camera you own. There are
    currently 5 models:

    Sony DSC-V1 Macro - 10cm
    Sony DSC-F717 Macro - 2cm
    Sony DSC-F707 Macro - 2cm This is replaced by F717
    Sony DSC-P10 Macro - No details
    Sony Mavica CD500 Macro - No details

    As to the 10x zoom you mention this probably combines digital zoom with
    optical. Stick to optical as this uses proper glass elements. Digital zoom
    just enlarges the pixels and you lose quality, just like cropping on pc
    where you will have more control.

    I have an older Sony DSC-S85 and with the lens at wide angle with macro mode
    on I can focus down to 4cm.

    As mentioned by others, to get greatest depth-of-field place camera in
    aperture mode (the P10 will not have this option), and put to highest
    number, probably F.8.

    I also recommend you use a tripod and go to the menu options to change the
    white balance if you are relying on indoor lighting. Also, to cut out camera
    shake once subject is focused use self timer so the camera does everything
    for you.

    Hope this helps.
    Stephen
    Edinburgh.
    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote in message
    news:1f5e8296aa6fc5b80e268e58adef6dc7free.teranew s.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if you could help me. I bought a sony 5.0 megapixel
    digital
    > camera and was trying to take extremely close photographs of jewelry.
    > Unfortunately the camera does not seem to be able to focus on the jewelry
    > (necklaces and bracelets) and they come out blurry.
    >
    > I am using the standard equipment that came with the sony camera and not
    any
    > additional lenses or lighting.
    >
    > The closup mode (flower icon) does not seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Can someone please let me know what I can do to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bob

    Stephen Leslie Guest

  12. #12

    In message <2f150412a1c3e6d3f1bee77accadc57efree.teranews.co m>,
    "Bob" <boblovingyou.com> wrote:
    >Thank you all for your help :-)
    >
    >Now depth of focus is also a little problem. The object is a bracelet and I
    >would really like to get the entire bracelet as crystal clear as possible.
    >
    >I can now get the front clear and the back blurry, or I have found I can get
    >the sides clear and the front and back blurry.
    Put the camera in aperture priority mode, and set the aperture to 8.0.
    If the lighting is weak, you will have to brace the camera somehow, or
    you will blur the picture. Using the self-timer while the camera is
    resting on a flat, stable surface is one way of doing it, if you don't
    have a tripod. If you buy a cheap tripod, you're better off with the
    self-timer, too, or a remote shutter release, because pressing the
    shutter on a cheap tripod can shake the camera quite a bit.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPSno.komm>
    JPS@no.komm Guest

  13. #13

    In message <gQiQa.15849$ND.7078fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
    "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM2hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I suspect the flower Icon is causing you to have less depth of focus
    >than you might get otherwise.
    No, the flower icon on the F7x7 just tells auto-focus to look for close
    things to focus on. No change in optics or exposure parameters.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPSno.komm>
    JPS@no.komm Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks for providing more information than I could. It would be nice
    (or will be) if manufacturers would all use the meaning for all those icons.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    <JPSno.komm> wrote in message
    > In message <gQiQa.15849$ND.7078fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
    > "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM2hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I suspect the flower Icon is causing you to have less depth of focus
    > >than you might get otherwise.
    >
    > No, the flower icon on the F7x7 just tells auto-focus to look for close
    > things to focus on. No change in optics or exposure parameters.
    > --
    >
    > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    > John P Sheehy <JPSno.komm>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    Joseph Meehan Guest

  15. #15

    In article <Ti8Ra.16100$columbus.rr.com>,
    com says...
    I've been having problems with blurred close-ups on my
    Canon S400. I have it set to manual and am using the
    little focus box, holding the shutter halfway down and
    composing, then shooting.

    Does anyone know whether this gives me a different aperture
    than I would get were I to use either the close-up or the
    landscape options?

    TIA

    Louise
    louise Guest

  16. #16

    >rr.com wrote:

    If you don't have Irfanview yet, download it at www.irfanview.com. It is free
    and will show you exactly how the camera was set when the picture was taken
    (EXIF data).
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest

  17. #17

    You did not mention putting the Camera in Macro mode (the little tulip icon).
    Gotta do that for close ups.
    I'd also just leave it in Auto, unless you can really tell when the subject is in
    sharp focus by looking at the screen.
    Bob Williams

    louise wrote:

    > I've been having problems with blurred close-ups on my
    > Canon S400. I have it set to manual and am using the
    > little focus box, holding the shutter halfway down and
    > composing, then shooting.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this gives me a different aperture
    > than I would get were I to use either the close-up or the
    > landscape options?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise[/ref]

    Robert Guest