Professional Web Applications Themes

Book creation in InDesign...we have issues! - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I was wondering if you have run into either of these problems. We've had hardly any issues when we transferred our magazines over, but the books? Ye gads! I'd appreciate any help that you could give us. Thanks! First of all, we have a Master A that is used for the start of new chapters, and B which is used for the following pages. So, we'll override the first page of the doent from the Master, then section it. Next, add pages to the end of the doent and link the chapter start page to the following pages. Works fine. ...

  1. #1

    Default Book creation in InDesign...we have issues!

    I was wondering if you have run into either of these problems. We've had hardly any issues when we transferred our magazines over, but the books? Ye gads! I'd appreciate any help that you could give us. Thanks!

    First of all, we have a Master A that is used for the start of new chapters, and B which is used for the following pages. So, we'll override the first page of the doent from the Master, then section it. Next, add pages to the end of the doent and link the chapter start page to the following pages. Works fine. For about 5 chapters. Then suddenly, when we link to the following pages, the chapter start will link back to the master following pages instead. We've tried many different ways to fix this. Breaking the link, etc. The only thing that seems to work, is starting a new doent.

    Secondly, we'll have a body style book on the master doent in the book. All the following doents were created by a save as from the master doent. Some of the following doents (selected from the book manager palate) will appear with body style medium. If you look in the paragraph style definition...it says that it is using the book font. But on the page it appears as medium. We've tried using other style definitions, and then going back to the body style. It still appears as book on the page. And no plus sign appears on the palate.
    S._Brownrobie@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Book creation in InDesign...we have issues!

    Sorry to say I don't have much expereince with book making in ID.

    That being said, this link may help you with the font problem.

    <http://yabbadobedoo.com/cinema3/missing_font_mystery.html>

    Chris

    EDIT: I re-read your post & this may not be the answer to your problem all, but it's still worth a look.
    chris@adsrus.com Guest

  3. #3

    cool site, anyway! thanks!
    S._Brownrobie@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I think the first problem is a "known issue," and has been discussed here before. As I recall, it happens at around 80 pages. Is that about the number of pages your five chapters are?
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I bet thatís whatís happening. What a drag. Have you heard anything about the other issue?
    S._Brownrobie@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Have you heard anything about the other issue?

    I don't think so, but I have experienced something like that with converted (CS1 or QuarkXPress) opened in CS2. What font is it, and what information do you see in the "Info" area if you go to "Type > Find Font...," and press the "More Info" button? Is it plausible?
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    The first Problem is a known Issue, this problem seems to keep coming back with almost anyone who works with books and several masterpages.
    I wish Adobe would Address this problem.
    But i suppose they are waiting for CS3 to fix this issue. I HOPE
    But it is a time consuming problem in a Production enviroment, to work with.
    Even the work arounds take time.
    When you are trying to do rush 1 day books for clients and this happens it is waisting time.

    Matt
    Matt_Geiger@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Gang--

    For whatever it's worth, you can get around this problem by not using master text frames for the body text of your book. There's no need to create another doent. Set up the page margins to enforce the "live area" you need, and autoflow will work just fine.

    If you're using a multicolumn layout, set up column guides on the master pages to enforce columnar text flow.

    Thanks,

    Ole
    Olav_Kvern@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    This is an ongoing and contentious topic which, despite being mentioned here again and again, seems not to be addressed in updates of the software. I too am a book setter and it is more than frustrating, it makes it virtually impossible to set books in ID. There is, however, a much maligned prduct called Quark Xpress . . .

    Dave Saunders has posted the links below concerning some of the debate

    To continue the original discussion, look at these topics. I believe that Teus's report of this issue back in November was the first time it surfaced here; more and more people have been running into it lately:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbd2df6>
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bc0ad77>
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbff3e0>
    brendan_lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    brendan,

    instead of reasons why Adobe should fix this bug (why does this need mentioning?) I would be interested to know why you work with text-frames on the masterpage when you don't need to define several flows.
    What reasons are there?
    (This is not polemics - I really would like to know)

    Thank you
    Gerald
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    >I too am a book setter and it is more than frustrating, it makes it
    >virtually impossible to set books in ID.
    I just had this conversation with one of my bosses. We can either pay
    someone big bucks to modify our business system (writing scripts, GUIs, etc)
    or we can adjust a few of our processes to fit the model of the software.
    People scream when we change their daily routine, but we can't afford the
    programmers. Tough call, eh?

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    About all I do is typeset books, and I've never run into this problem. But then again, I rarely, if ever, use master text frames, and I also keep my doents small and combine everything in an ID book. I recently did do 11 books that were all in one doent (each), and I used up to 8 masters, but had no problems.
    Diane_King@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    About all I do is typeset books, and I've never run into this problem.
    But then again, I rarely, if ever, use master text frames, and I also
    keep my doents small and combine everything in an ID book. I recently
    did do 11 books that were all in one doent (each), and I used up to
    8 masters, but had no problems.

    (This is also in answer to Gerald's post, btw.)

    But do you use uneven columns? And do you have a need to run through multiple small text boxes on some masters?

    XPress can set it all up automatically for such cases. As far as I know, InDesign can't if your content doesn't match big square margin areas. If I place all my text on a basal text master in XPress, I can easily go back and add section openers where necessary by applying an SO master to that doent page. Regardless of the fact that my entire doc was originally flowed into single text boxes, in XPress it will happily reflow through 3 or 4 different text boxes scattered about the page at various uneven heights and sizes whereas in InDesign, your text will just lay there in the original text box across the top of all your SO master content waiting for you to manually flow it through the little boxes of the master text thread you created.

    Basically, the reason this question keeps coming up every time a new XPress user enters the forums is that they are boggling at the fact they're back to using a hammer after years spent with a nail gun. The key difference is that XPress has "master text flow anchors", which make is possible to chain up any random collection of text boxes you want on each master. When you switch masters, the text in a doent page automagically leaps into the correct boxes when you apply a different master to it because it is simply following the anchor chain defined for that master.

    InDesign could really benefit from adopting this concept, imho...
    Eric_@_MCA@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Sadly, we have 88 chapters, so this is a pretty big issue. Not so bad now that I know how to work around it ('cause I was about to throw the computer out a second story window). We're just using the book manager and breaking things up into smaller pieces. I really miss Quark on larger projects like this.

    Now I just have to figure out how to fix the font anomaly...
    S._Brownrobie@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    brendan lyons wrote: "I too am a book setter and it is more than frustrating, it makes it virtually impossible to set books in ID."

    I've made many books with InDesign, and have never used master text frames, so...I guess I wouldn't say it's "impossible". It is a bad bug, no question, but it's also incorrect to say that one *must* use master text frames to create books. It just isn't so.

  16. #16

    There are several good reasons to use a master text frame.

    The main one for me is that it makes it easier to flow text by clicking anywhere within the four margins of the master text frame.

    Without a master text frame, one must click within a certain amount of distance of the top left corner.

    I used to know another good reason, but then I stopped using master text frames, and I forgot it. The click position though does remind me that I'm not using a master text frame.
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Brendan here. I too have 'discovered' by accident, and testing, that a workaround which does make book setting possible is to create a book to manage multiple files through this feature. I have no ax to grind I just want a method which does the job I need to do.

    When I am setting up my next project I will do it without master text frames [I cannot see any reference in these discussions to me saying that I 'had' to use master text frames] and let you all know how I get on. I have to admit that my 15 years at this work have mainly been in Quark. I bought ID a couple of years ago for a small monthly job, an engineering journal, that has loads and loads of tables and ID seemed far better at this aspect of the job.

    The bulk of my clients still want Quark files even if the end result is a pdf so I have to admit that while I am competent I am not as totally up to speed in ID as in Quark. I have found the master page issue and master text frame took getting used to.

    A nice workflow involving master pages which made life easy for me in Quark does not work in ID but I am prepared to learn and if I survive another 15 years I hope that I will be as relaxed and have devised methods to get the most out of ID.
    brendan_lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    instead of reasons why Adobe should fix this bug (why does this need mentioning?)
    I would be interested to know why you work with text-frames on the masterpage
    when you don't need to define several flows. What reasons are there?

    One very useful use of master text frames is when you have two (or more) texts that you would like to autoflow each of them in text frames smaller than the margins. If you don't use master text frames autoflowing the first text will automatically create a text frame the size of the whole margin.
    Fred_Goldman@adobeforums.com Guest