Professional Web Applications Themes

Book export, selected pages - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm using InDesign CS... Is there any way (script, plug-in,... etc.) that you can export a few selected pages from a large book file? rather than whole doents? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Book export, selected pages

    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Book export, selected pages

    You can create a new doent and drag pages from the Pages palette of the source doent into the doent window of the destination doent.

    That's assuming you want to edit the pages, right?
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Well...
    I've got a 300+ page book file with 40+ doents making it up.
    I need to pull roughly 150 pages out of it... not for editing, but rather to make a sub-set PDF of the whole.

    It seems sooooo painful to pull out the pages and drop them into a new file every time (especially when their are many changes) rather than simply keep a running list of page numbers and copy/paste them into a PDF export box (that asks for which pages).

    That make sence?
    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Eminently scriptable.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You can export to PDF a page range, same as you can print to PDF a page
    range.
    Simon Guest

  6. #6

    Simon Warner,

    I don't have that option when I'm in a book file (not a doent file). It only let's me export the whole thing or to select which doents I want to export.

    I need to pick and choose pages from this large book file that has changes made to it quite often.

    Stu Bloom
    Unfortunatly, I don't know scripting. Do you know of any existing scripts that could perform this?
    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    There is a scripting forum.

    For my 2 cents worth, I would create the pdf of the whole book and then use acrobat to delete the unwanted pages, leaving me with a single pdf file of the all the pages wanted.

    You have to have the full version of Acrobat, either standard or professional to accomplish this.

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Stan,

    That's the best suggestion yet!
    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    True - this is a good suggestion - but you will have page numbering issues.

    Brian
    Brian_Smithson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    By "page numbering issues" I'm assuming that, even though I'm using auto numbering, it will keep their orignal number (position) and NOT re-number them.

    What I'm trying to make is an answer key to a text book.
    I want the numbers to keep their original "place" in the book and NOT renumber themselves.

    I'm assuming that WILL work, no?
    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    If you have auto numbering set in InDesign that number becomes part of the page in the pdf. It will not automatically renumber the page except in the pages view. The number printed on the page will remain the original number.

  12. #12

    Does the new InDesign CS2 offer more control on the selection of pages chosen to be exported from a book file?

    Or is it exactly the same as InDesign CS?
    Rob_Baddorf@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I don't do enough books to answer that question. Perhaps someone else on the list knows.

  14. #14

    Does the new InDesign CS2 offer more control on the selection of pages
    chosen to be exported from a book file?

    No
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest