Professional Web Applications Themes

Book Sugestion - PHP Development

Francisco Mendez wrote: > Hi: > > I'm about to buy a book for php/mysql web development, I visited amazon > for this pourpose and found a large list of books. > > I intend to start developing web sites e-commerce enabled. would like to > have the opinion of someone with experience in this area. > > Which book is best?... > > Tx in advance. > > FM> > Francisco, I have PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson. In my opinion, this book is very good... it covers most areas that you will ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Book Sugestion

    Francisco Mendez wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I'm about to buy a book for php/mysql web development, I visited amazon
    > for this pourpose and found a large list of books.
    >
    > I intend to start developing web sites e-commerce enabled. would like to
    > have the opinion of someone with experience in this area.
    >
    > Which book is best?...
    >
    > Tx in advance.

    Francisco,

    I have PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson.
    In my opinion, this book is very good... it covers most areas that
    you will need to know. For things that it doesn't cover, I've found
    that php.net, mysql.com, and this newsgroup are more than adequate. HTH,

    Marcus

    Marcus Guest

  2. #2

    Francisco Mendez wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I'm about to buy a book for php/mysql web development, I visited amazon
    > for this pourpose and found a large list of books.
    >
    > I intend to start developing web sites e-commerce enabled. would like to
    > have the opinion of someone with experience in this area.
    >
    > Which book is best?...
    >
    > Tx in advance.

    I have O'Reilly's "Web Database Applications" that takes you all the way
    through from installing PHP and MySQL and then guides you to the
    development of an online winestore.
    The sourcecode is available online at [url]http://www.webdatabasebook.com[/url] and I
    actually use that code and modify it to my own needs. I'm following the
    principle of "learning by doing" and find this combination quite helpful.

    Secondly I have "Beginning PHP4" from Wrox and together these two, with
    [url]www.php.net[/url] cover my needs fully.

    /Andreas

    --
    Registeret Linux user #292411
    Andreas Paasch Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Book Suggestion

    Hi:

    Tx for your suggestions :)

    Francisco Mendez Guest

  4. #4

    Php-bible is a good book for php and it has a little mySql in it but it's
    really good for php!

    "Andreas Paasch" <AndreasPaasch.Net> wrote in message
    news:YwaOa.12878$Kb2.604457news010.worldonline.dk ...
    > Francisco Mendez wrote:
    >
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I'm about to buy a book for php/mysql web development, I visited amazon
    > > for this pourpose and found a large list of books.
    > >
    > > I intend to start developing web sites e-commerce enabled. would like to
    > > have the opinion of someone with experience in this area.
    > >
    > > Which book is best?...
    > >
    > > Tx in advance.
    > >

    > I have O'Reilly's "Web Database Applications" that takes you all the way
    > through from installing PHP and MySQL and then guides you to the
    > development of an online winestore.
    > The sourcecode is available online at [url]http://www.webdatabasebook.com[/url] and I
    > actually use that code and modify it to my own needs. I'm following the
    > principle of "learning by doing" and find this combination quite helpful.
    >
    > Secondly I have "Beginning PHP4" from Wrox and together these two, with
    > [url]www.php.net[/url] cover my needs fully.
    >
    > /Andreas
    >
    > --
    > Registeret Linux user #292411

    Chris Krasnichuk Guest

  5. #5

    Francisco Mendez <iframeprodigy.net.mx> wrote in message news:<beaqq8$2vqbt$1ID-156398.news.dfncis.de>...
    > I'm about to buy a book for php/mysql web development, I visited amazon
    > for this pourpose and found a large list of books.
    Slightly off-topic, but if you get around to doing much object
    oriented work, you'll find there are no books written for PHP that
    cover the design side of OO. While there is plenty of technical
    discussion OO syntax in PHP, there is no info anywhere on issues like
    when it is best to extend a class as oppose to starting a new class
    and handing it a reference to the other class.

    For that, read Thinking in Java (3rd Edition) by Bruce Eckel.
    Especially since PHP 5 looks like it is going to be a total clone of
    Java when it comes to OO, these Java design books offer some real
    insight into how to design OO projects.
    lawrence Guest