Professional Web Applications Themes

Bookmark and/or URL Manipulation - Macromedia Flash

On Mar 5, 1:11 am, Onideus Mad Hatter <use...backwater- productions.net> wrote:  > > ...um...how do you propose it be done without reloading? Aside from > the obvious (creating your own custom bookmark button). > > Do some javascript embedded in Flash like nyah: > > :bookmarkurl="http://www.myurl.com" > :bookmarktitle="My Url" > :if (doent.all) > :window.external.AddFavorite(bookmarkurl,bookmarkt itle) > > That'd work...except if they try to bookmark it themselves...mmm...not > gonna work so good. *shrugs*[/ref] Don't think that works in FireFox or IE7 (breaches the security model). I've not tried so I maybe wrong. I'm not sure HOW I'd do it personally - ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bookmark and/or URL Manipulation

    productions.net> wrote:

    > ...um...how do you propose it be done without reloading? Aside from
    > the obvious (creating your own custom bookmark button).
    >
    > Do some javascript embedded in Flash like nyah:
    >
    > :bookmarkurl="http://www.myurl.com"
    > :bookmarktitle="My Url"
    > :if (doent.all)
    > :window.external.AddFavorite(bookmarkurl,bookmarkt itle)
    >
    > That'd work...except if they try to bookmark it themselves...mmm...not
    > gonna work so good. *shrugs*[/ref]

    Don't think that works in FireFox or IE7 (breaches the security
    model). I've not tried so I maybe wrong.

    I'm not sure HOW I'd do it personally - I'm not sure I'd try; if you
    have a full-page Flash program, bookmarking is pretty much out of the
    question. What you COULD do is provide your own bookmarking mechanism
    inside your Flash movie (the user can click a button inside the movie,
    which populates an MC with reusable bookmarks inside the Flash movie
    itself). You can then use a cookie to identify a returning user. I
    think that's how I'd do it. Another trick we've used here is using
    folders to id content. / = the main site (Flash) /gallery = gallery,
    but actually passes back to the main Flash which then internally loads
    the gallery MC /contacts ... etc. You get the idea. This means when
    firing out mailers we can say: "visit http://www.<somedomain>.com/gallery/
    for the latest updates!" or something; pseudo-bookmarking if you like.

    SpaceGirl Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    SpaceGirl Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    SpaceGirl Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #24

    | Try doing that without XML... it'd require MUCH more code. With the
    | code I have above, I barely have to modify anything if the XML
    | changes. It generates x number of clips, titles them etc from a single
    | XML doent (which in turn can be a dynamic page that populates the
    | XML from a database). With a single tweak I can change the code from
    | using XML (from a URL) to use a Web Service. It would be a nightmare
    | trying to do this through para passing.
    |
    | Okay your turn... post how to do this without XML, and less code,
    | that's easier to follow. Bet you can't :)

    he can't do it *with* xml. i shudder to think of what heaps of spaghetti his
    code resembles. ;^)

    but hey, if he thinks flash is powering the majority of technology, let him
    stay in the dark. as for the rest of us who are professional
    developers...we'll work with the tools best suited for a job - and that
    means knowing what all is out there and which is most appropriately applied
    to a given situation.

    Steve Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    SpaceGirl Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #28

    On Mar 8, 9:17 pm, "Steve" <com> wrote:

    :) Yeah he does a lot of moaning and has nothing to show. My freelance
    Flash clients include, Yell, Warner, Universal Music, PIAS, WoS,
    InterScope, Geffen, AXA... Oddly enough, all of whom I have repeat
    business with and all of the projects use Flash, XML, video &
    interaction. Weird that :D

    SpaceGirl Guest

  9. #29

    On Mar 9, 4:26 am, Onideus Mad Hatter <use...backwater-
    productions.net> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Your code is hard to read like that...why not make it like this:
    >
    > :var titles_xml:XML = new XML();
    > :titles_xml.ignoreWhite = true;
    > :var titleFromXML:String;
    > :var clipName:String;
    > :var urlFromXML:String;
    > :
    > :titles_xml.onLoad = function(sucess)
    > :{
    > : if (sucess) { XML_titles(titles_xml);}
    > : else { trace("Couldn't load XML"); }
    > :}[/ref]

    BTW, the standard bracketing for ECMAScript / AS2 / AS3 is

    if (something){
    //do this
    }

    -not-

    if (something)
    {
    // do something
    }

    Either way compiles though :D

    SpaceGirl Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #32

    On Mar 9, 11:55 am, Onideus Mad Hatter <use...backwater-
    productions.net> wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > My way is easier to read therefore superior. Sorry if I think a lil
    > too far out of the box for you, I know it can be a little scary.[/ref]

    Heheh. Very old, long argument. I'm not sure why the standard for AS
    is "my way", I generally find your way easier to read too. There is a

    SpaceGirl Guest

  13. #33

    On Mar 9, 11:55 am, Onideus Mad Hatter <use...backwater-
    productions.net> wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > My way is easier to read therefore superior. Sorry if I think a lil
    > too far out of the box for you, I know it can be a little scary.[/ref]

    Hang on, does that mean, BTW... XML is easier to read, so superior? :D

    SpaceGirl Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest