Professional Web Applications Themes

Bookmark and/or URL Manipulation - Macromedia Flash

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default Bookmark and/or URL Manipulation

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Bookmark and/or URL Manipulation

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    On 2007-02-22, Onideus Mad Hatter <net> wrote:

    As far as I know the only url part that can be changed without reloading the
    page is the "hash" part. normally the server doesn't see this part of the
    url.

    possibly you can alter the getValue method of the location object??

    what do you hope to gain by messing with the URL anyway?

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    | I'm in search of the most "perfect" form, in which case even a split
    | second is too long to wait.

    you're really demanding. we've waited an eternity for you to develop a brain
    and use it. we are still patiently waiting.

    btw, the only 'perfect' way for you to improve your code is to stop coding
    outright...the sooner the better.

    Steve Guest

  8. #8

    "Steve" <com> wrote in message

    HahahHhahahaha Hatter owned again

    MindBrain Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    On 2007-02-24, Onideus Mad Hatter <net> wrote: [/ref]

    > Not having to reload the primary Flash file from the cache while still
    > allowing for an indexable site via the use of GET variables. As it
    > currently stands whenever you click a link on the nav it has to reload
    > the entire primary flash file from the browser cache just to add on a
    > get variable to the URL for use in bookmarking or indexing a specific
    > section. Since the primary Flash file is around 800K it still takes
    > about 3 seconds to reload, even from the cache. If it was my blog
    > site it probably wouldn't really matter, since its primary Flash file
    > is only 98K and can reload from the cache in just a split second. But
    > I'm in search of the most "perfect" form, in which case even a split
    > second is too long to wait.[/ref]

    use frames, leave the main URL alone, have a frame with a "bookmark this"
    link that's reloaded and an index page that has links to all other pages so
    search engines can get to the content.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Onideus Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    On Feb 22, 11:27 pm, Onideus Mad Hatter <use...backwater-
    productions.net> wrote:

    I did tell you this who parameter passing way of indexing was a bad
    idea :) Now you're starting to see some of the reasons why! You could
    do all of this with NO reloading if you wanted. Get away from passing
    querystring params, it's just a headache IME :*(

    SpaceGirl Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    SpaceGirl Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    | Well, Hatter is kind of trying to emulate what HTML does in Flash,
    | which is a bit pointless. I don't think his site is engineered at all;
    | All this stuff he's doing is kinda... backwards. Using URLs to modify
    | the content in *this* way is a bit weird; I can understand what he's
    | trying to achieve, but I don't think that Flash is mature enough when
    | it comes to searchengine accessibility for it to give him the results
    | he wants without a lot of pointless pain.
    |
    | Rather than trying to get his Flash site to be indexable in this way,
    | he should provide all of the content via HTML (which is indexable) and
    | let Flash do Fancy display things for users who have Flash installed.
    | One lump of content (XML), displayed via HTML or Flash. Rather than
    | trying to get Flash to be HTML, which it's clearly not. Bookmarking is
    | a bit of a bugbear with Flash, but he's barking up the wrong tree
    | anyway IMO.

    as i have been saying, he is the biggest cause of his own problems. it's not
    the fault of any technology he is using - which he quite contrarily
    maintains. it is the way in which he uses any given technology. he clearly
    has no depth of understanding of any he employs...that includes flash -
    which he boasts about being some kind of wizard. he also apparently has no
    plan of attack based on such understandings of any OSI layer...that, or he
    cannot plan accordingly.

    | Flash penetration dropped a little over the last three months - Vista
    | (I think) does not ship with a Flash player (unlike earlier versions
    | of Windows), forcing people with new computers to download Flash by
    | hand. But the overall trend is a growing number of Flash enabled
    | users, with Flash enabled browsers.
    |
    | Having said all of that... Flash is pretty much THE most important web
    | technology right now, and will grow exponentially over the coming
    | year. Mainly because of Video, broadcast and other multimedia
    | technologies it provides to the desktop. If you ignore it, you may
    | wind up playing catch up while everyone else has moved on. Don't be to
    | quick to write Flash off.

    don't confuse 'the most important' with 'the most popular'. THE MOST
    important developing web technology is STILL XML.

    as far as my utilizing it, i don't rule anything out. my point was to his
    over-reliance on it and with very limited fallback for 'customers' that
    don't have flash.

    as for me 'playing catch up', i program in six different languages
    professionally and have done so since the 80's. i am confident i can learn
    any language. what's more important is to know high-level what can/can't be
    done with a technology. that will help you decide (objectively) whether or
    not to employ it. 'playing catch up' is EXACTLY what should be done. either
    you will be jumping into a more formalized and stable platform, or it will
    have gone by the way-side. getting in 'early' is not a very pragmatic
    approach at all for a number of reasons in this context.

    what i don't get with OMH is why he is using flash for graphics generation.
    i can see providing it, but not creating it. oh well, OHeadeous Mad
    Hatter is the boggler of his own mind...i will not try to rationally account
    for 'reasonings' of a lunatic.

    cheers

    Steve Guest

  18. Moderated Post