Professional Web Applications Themes

boot disk - SCO

How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's asking for it....

  1. #1

    Default Boot Disk

    How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's
    asking for it.
    marcus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Boot Disk

    marcus wrote:
    > How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's
    > asking for it.
    Please read [url]http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url] to learn how to submit a good
    post.

    Could you please elaborate on "it keeps asking for it"? There is no need for
    a boot disk as the XP CD itself is bootable - you need to set the CD drive
    as the first bootable device in the BIOS (if you don't know how to do that
    see the doentation that came with your system).

    Could you tell me exactly what it is you're attempting to accomplish?

    --
    Cassandra
    Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People

    Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
    of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
    uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
    all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

    Amethyst Guest

  3. #3

    marcus wrote:
    > How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's
    > asking for it.
    What "I t" keeps asking for it? Sorry, my crystal ball is on the blink.
    For all kinds of bootdisks, Click on or copy and paste the link below into
    your web browser address box.
    [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url]
    --

    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    [email]xpnewsmichaelstevenstech.com[/email]

    Michael Stevens Guest

  4. #4

    WinXP Pro
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    WinXP Home
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8fe6868-6e4f-471c-b455-bd5afee126d8&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    WinXP Pro + SP1a
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bbe82a74-76af-4c21-b853-d9f07cbfa559&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    WinXP Home + SP1a
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=33a21833-7773-4f59-bd90-63cacb89ac4e&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    "marcus" <marcus.gunchescox.net> wrote in message
    > How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's
    > asking for it.

    Blue Ice Guest

  5. #5

    "sqr" <sqrsqr.sqr> wrote in message

    > >How do I make a boot disk for windows xp?
    >
    > Do this to create a boot floppy for windows XP
    > 1.. Format a floppy disk by using the Windows XP format utility. For
    > example, with the floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, type format a: at
    > command prompt, and then press ENTER.
    > 2.. Copy the Ntldr and the Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on
    the
    > Windows XP Setup CD-ROM, Windows XP Setup floppy disk, or from a computer
    > that is running the same version of Windows XP as the computer that you
    want
    > to access with the boot floppy.
    > 3.. Create a Boot.ini file (or copy one from a computer that is running
    > Windows XP), and then modify it to match the computer that you are trying
    > access. The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with
    > Windows XP installed in the \Windows folder, but the exact value in the
    > [operating systems] section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP
    > computer that you are trying to access:
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows
    >
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windo ws XP"
    > If your computer boots from a SCSI hard drive, you may need to replace
    > the multi(0) entry with scsi(0). If you are using scsi(x) in the Boot.ini
    > file, copy the correct device driver for the SCSI controller in use on the
    > computer to the root of the Setup disk, and then rename it Ntbootdd.sys.
    > Change the disk(0) number to represent the SCSI-ID of the hard drive you
    > want to boot to. If you are using multi(x) in the Boot.ini file, you do
    not
    > need to do this.
    > 4.. Start your computer by using the floppy disk, and then log on to
    > Windows XP.
    > HTH
    >

    > --
    > sqr
    > Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp
    > --
    > [url]ftp://sqr.myftp.biz[/url]

    sqr,
    Thanks for the info, makes us lazy guys and gals that post links to
    [url]http://www.bootdisk.com[/url] look incompetent. LOL

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    [email]xpnewsmichaelstevenstech.com[/email]
    [url]http://michaelstevenstech.com[/url]

    > "marcus" <marcus.gunchescox.net> wrote in message
    > > How do I make a boot disk for windows xp? I t keep's
    > > asking for it.

    Michael Stevens Guest

  6. #6

    Hello,

    I have an SCO bootdisk, it got files like:
    ../unix
    ../rootFS
    ../...

    how can I see what is inside these files (and how can I rewrite to these
    files)?

    I tried WinZip to open them as .gz files but they didn't open.
    Also tried to untar but failed.

    Regards,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  7. #7

    lallous typed (on Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 05:36:21PM +0300):
    | Hello,
    |
    | I have an SCO bootdisk, it got files like:
    | ./unix
    | ./rootFS
    | ./...
    |
    | how can I see what is inside these files (and how can I rewrite to these
    | files)?

    What do you want to know about them? And what possible reason do you have
    for wanting to overwrite anything?

    | I tried WinZip to open them as .gz files but they didn't open.

    There were gzipped files on the diskettes? Who told you so?

    | Also tried to untar but failed.

    Which file was a tar archive?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  8. #8

    lallous wrote:
    > The bootdisk as I said have:
    > > | ./unix
    > > | ./rootFS
    > > What do you want to know about them?
    > for learning purpose and curiosity, I would like to learn how to see what
    > files are embedded inside these compressed files.
    >
    > > And what possible reason do you have for wanting to overwrite anything?
    > I might want to add my own stuff into them or modify existing behaviours to
    > fit my own demands.
    >
    > > | I tried WinZip to open them as .gz files but they didn't open.
    > > There were gzipped files on the diskettes? Who told you so?
    > > | Also tried to untar but failed.
    > > Which file was a tar archive?
    > As the disk boots up, a message says: "uncompressing" and a bunch of dots
    > appear on the screen...in addition the content of these files made me assume
    > that they are compressed.
    >
    > My question is that how is it possible to dissects the contents of these
    > files and study them further.
    Start with file(C) and dtype(C).
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  9. #9

    Hi,
    > | > What do you want to know about them?
    > | for learning purpose and curiosity, I would like to learn how to see
    what
    > | files are embedded inside these compressed files.
    >
    > Then just read /usr/lib/mkdev/fd.
    That file does not exist!

    > | > And what possible reason do you have for wanting to overwrite
    anything?
    > | I might want to add my own stuff into them or modify existing behaviours
    > | fit my own demands.
    >
    > Since you hadn't even thought of reading the file I just mentioned, then
    > you don't know enough to even *think* of modifying it.
    I don't really want to modify them more than trying to understand what is
    there first.
    Having more experience in MS operating systems doesn't make me *very*
    clueless in other operating systems;)
    > | My question is that how is it possible to dissects the contents of these
    > | files and study them further.
    >
    > I've just told you. But don't waste your time anyhow. Not one person or
    > customer that I know running OSR 5 is making and/or using SCO emergency
    > diskettes; they're all using Lone-Tar or BackupEDGE. You're well advised
    > to do so as well.
    Yes, your advises has helped many times before in this newsgroup and I
    appreciate it.
    However, in this case, I am just seeking to understand a boot disk as is,
    but as I am blocked with these two compressed files I cannot understand more
    unless I uncompress them.

    Thanks again,
    Elias

    lallous Guest

  10. #10

    lallous typed (on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:07:06AM +0300):

    | Hi,
    |
    | > | The bootdisk as I said have:
    | > |

    | > |
    | > | for learning purpose and curiosity, I would like to learn how to
    | > | see what files are embedded inside these compressed files.
    | >
    | > Then just read /usr/lib/mkdev/fd.
    |
    | That file does not exist!

    Really???
    Can we see the output of 'lf /usr/lib/mkdev' ?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  11. #11

    lallous typed (on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:13:36AM +0300):
    | Hello Bela,
    |
    | The 'file' and 'dtype' where helpful.
    |
    | They showed that 'rootFS' and 'unix' are: LZH-compressed data
    | I tried to find / -name *zip* on my system but couldn't find 'gzip' nor
    | *lha* or *lzh* related utilities.
    |
    | How can I still uncompress this data and see what is inside ?

    What about using 'uncompress'?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  12. #12

    Hello Bela,

    The 'file' and 'dtype' where helpful.

    They showed that 'rootFS' and 'unix' are: LZH-compressed data
    I tried to find / -name *zip* on my system but couldn't find 'gzip' nor
    *lha* or *lzh* related utilities.

    How can I still uncompress this data and see what is inside ?

    Regards,
    Elias
    > > My question is that how is it possible to dissects the contents of these
    > > files and study them further.
    >
    > Start with file(C) and dtype(C).
    >
    > >Bela

    lallous Guest

  13. #13

    hi,
    > Really???
    > Can we see the output of 'lf /usr/lib/mkdev' ?
    my mistake; the file exists and clears out many things.

    | The 'file' and 'dtype' where helpful.
    | They showed that 'rootFS' and 'unix' are: LZH-compressed data
    | I tried to find / -name *zip* on my system but couldn't find 'gzip' nor
    | *lha* or *lzh* related utilities.
    |
    | How can I still uncompress this data and see what is inside ?
    >What about using 'uncompress'?
    I tried 'uncompress' command on the 'rootFS' or 'unix' file after adding a
    ..Z to them, but the uncompressed file is bigger than the original file and
    still *one* file, I want all the files that were inside the compressed
    files.

    Thanks,
    Elias
    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <jprjpr.com> wrote in message
    > lallous typed (on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:07:06AM +0300):
    >
    > | Hi,

    > | > |

    > | > |

    > | > Then just read /usr/lib/mkdev/fd.
    > |
    > | That file does not exist!
    > Really???
    > Can we see the output of 'lf /usr/lib/mkdev' ?
    >
    > --
    > JP

    lallous Guest

  14. #14

    lallous typed (on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:19:40PM +0300):
    | hi,
    |
    | > Really???
    | > Can we see the output of 'lf /usr/lib/mkdev' ?
    | my mistake; the file exists and clears out many things.
    |
    | | The 'file' and 'dtype' where helpful.
    | | They showed that 'rootFS' and 'unix' are: LZH-compressed data
    | | I tried to find / -name *zip* on my system but couldn't find 'gzip' nor
    | | *lha* or *lzh* related utilities.
    | |
    | | How can I still uncompress this data and see what is inside ?
    | >What about using 'uncompress'?
    |
    | I tried 'uncompress' command on the 'rootFS' or 'unix' file after adding a
    | .Z to them, but the uncompressed file is bigger than the original file and
    | still *one* file, I want all the files that were inside the compressed
    | files.

    Of course it's bigger - why would it have been compressed if notto make
    it fit on the floppy?

    And what makes you think that what you uncompressed ~contains~ anything?
    Is it an archive?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  15. #15

    lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    >hi,
    >> Really???
    >> Can we see the output of 'lf /usr/lib/mkdev' ?
    >my mistake; the file exists and clears out many things.
    >| The 'file' and 'dtype' where helpful.
    >| They showed that 'rootFS' and 'unix' are: LZH-compressed data
    >| I tried to find / -name *zip* on my system but couldn't find 'gzip' nor
    >| *lha* or *lzh* related utilities.
    You can download gzip from Skunkware. See [url]http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html[/url]
    Not that it has anything to do with this; just for future reference.
    >I tried 'uncompress' command on the 'rootFS' or 'unix' file after adding a
    >.Z to them, but the uncompressed file is bigger than the original file and
    >still *one* file, I want all the files that were inside the compressed
    >files.
    It isn't unusual for a compressed file to be just one file. I have no idea what
    you are looking at, but it would be a good guess that "unix" is a unix
    kernel - one file. "Rootfs" is probably a file system image.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  16. #16

    lallous wrote:
    > I tried 'uncompress' command on the 'rootFS' or 'unix' file after adding a
    > .Z to them, but the uncompressed file is bigger than the original file and
    > still *one* file, I want all the files that were inside the compressed
    > files.
    Use `file` and `dtype` on them again. "rootFS" is some sort of
    filesystem. There are various ways you can mount it, e.g. by writing it
    to a RAM disk or a floppy (writing to the whole disk), or by using
    marry(ADM). "unix" is an executable binary because it is a linked Unix
    kernel. There are many tools you could use to examine it. strings(C),
    hd(C), nm(CP), dis(CP) are just a few. The last two are only present if
    your system has the Development System installed.

    As someone said, you should really look at the script /usr/lib/mkdev/fd,
    which actually constructs the boot and root floppies.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Bela,

    when I typed 'dtype' on the uncompressed rootFS file I got Unix 1k file
    system.
    Then doing 'dd of=/dev/fd0 if=uncompress_rootFS' and then mounting the
    floppy did the trick!

    You mentioned that it is possible to extract to RAM drive, can you give me
    some hints please.

    Thanks,
    Elias
    "Bela Lubkin" <belalsco.com> wrote in message
    > lallous wrote:
    >
    > > I tried 'uncompress' command on the 'rootFS' or 'unix' file after adding
    > > .Z to them, but the uncompressed file is bigger than the original file
    and
    > > still *one* file, I want all the files that were inside the compressed
    > > files.
    >
    > Use `file` and `dtype` on them again. "rootFS" is some sort of
    > filesystem. There are various ways you can mount it, e.g. by writing it
    > to a RAM disk or a floppy (writing to the whole disk), or by using
    > marry(ADM). "unix" is an executable binary because it is a linked Unix
    > kernel. There are many tools you could use to examine it. strings(C),
    > hd(C), nm(CP), dis(CP) are just a few. The last two are only present if
    > your system has the Development System installed.
    >
    > As someone said, you should really look at the script /usr/lib/mkdev/fd,
    > which actually constructs the boot and root floppies.
    >
    > >Bela<

    lallous Guest

  18. #18

    lallous wrote:
    > when I typed 'dtype' on the uncompressed rootFS file I got Unix 1k file
    > system.
    > Then doing 'dd of=/dev/fd0 if=uncompress_rootFS' and then mounting the
    > floppy did the trick!
    >
    > You mentioned that it is possible to extract to RAM drive, can you give me
    > some hints please.
    See ramdisk(HW). But marry(HW) / marry(ADM) is much easier to use.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest