Professional Web Applications Themes

Boot Disks... - Mac Applications & Software

I have System 7.0.1 installed on the hard drive. But everytime, I insert a bootable disk it keeps ejecting it at start up. What's wrong? Also, I got some older applications which ain't compatible with System 7, but runs on System 6. Could I load into System 6 by using a boot disk, despite the hard drive having System 7 installed or would it switch over? Thanks......

  1. #1

    Default Boot Disks...

    I have System 7.0.1 installed on the hard drive. But everytime, I insert
    a bootable disk it keeps ejecting it at start up. What's wrong?

    Also, I got some older applications which ain't compatible with System
    7, but runs on System 6. Could I load into System 6 by using a boot
    disk, despite the hard drive having System 7 installed or would it
    switch over?

    Thanks...

    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Boot Disks...

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas <net>
    wrote:

    Apparently the machine doesn't think it's bootable. Either can't find a
    correctly configured system folder or can't find a system that will boot
    that particular machine.

    Provided you get a bootable 6 disk _and_ 6 will run on your machine, you
    can do what you propose.

    What kind of machine is it?

    Gregory Guest

  3. #3

    Jeff Thomas <net> wrote:

    [Looks at calendar, sees today's date is 9/1/2003. Grateful that he has
    not somehow time warped 10 years into the past since last night, he
    moves on to the next post.]

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Rosenberg wrote:

    Mike, do I detect some influence from Enough/Phaedrus?
    Of course, he could never match this level of irony.
    George Guest

  5. #5

    Jeff Thomas wrote:

    Sounds like a bad disk. After this many years, even an Apple-supplied
    CD may have degraded optically to the point of no return. Older,
    cheaper CDs have a lifetime of 5 yrs or so, depending on environmental
    exposure.

    ISTR they had something called "Modern Memory Manager" in 7 (or maybe 8)
    that allowed older apps to run. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade to
    the "fat" versions.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas <net>
    wrote:

    Not sure about this but see if the diskette is locked. I don't think you
    can boot from a locked one.

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  7. #7

    George Williams <com> wrote:

    LOL! OTOH, I think I'm known around here for sometimes being, um,
    feisty.

    In this case, I just couldn't help but feel like I was reading a post
    from 10 years ago. A Mac still running 7.0.1? Trying to run System 6
    apps?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, George Williams wrote:

    > Sounds like a bad disk. After this many years, even an Apple-supplied
    > CD may have degraded optically to the point of no return. Older,
    > cheaper CDs have a lifetime of 5 yrs or so, depending on environmental
    > exposure.[/ref]
    And if it's a floppy disk the chances of it having died are even greater.

    > ISTR they had something called "Modern Memory Manager" in 7 (or maybe 8)
    > that allowed older apps to run. Otherwise you'll have to upgrade to
    > the "fat" versions.[/ref]

    It definitely wasn't in the earlier versions of 7, 7.5 at the earliest.
    A setting in the Memory Control panel allowed one to turn of the modern
    memory manager (for compatbility reasons).

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  9. #9

    NeoLuddite <com> wrote:

    You definitely can.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas wrote:
    While I am new at Mac's I had the same problem myself. Heres
    how I got my Mac to boot a disk. Being Mac Os 7.6.1 has a large
    bitload, my trick was with a HD. The same would apply to a floppy
    Place the floppy disk in the drive, and make a System Folder on it
    (keep that name exact IE:
    System Folder
    now go to your working system folder on the HD and copy
    the Finder and the System file to the System Folder on the floppy.
    If there was room and everything is cool. your floppy directory sould
    show System Folder with a little Mac Icon on the front.
    If your Macintosh will even boot System 6. I have a Performa
    410 that supports System 6 but my Performa 6115CD does NOT! You an
    tell as Your mac will let you know if it will work with an older
    System. Your regular System 7 will not be modified or effected but to
    be safe. make a backup if possible, The problem is that the System 6
    may want to update the Desktop which could remotely cause a problem.
    If course when you reboot to System 7. things should be OK as it
    will probally rebuild the desktop again.
    Many older System 6 programs have been updated to System 7,
    you may want to consider upgrading your applications.

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).

    B'ichela Guest

  11. #11

    Why do some of you have to go insulting a newbie? I hope a similar fate awaits
    you, whenever asking for assistance.

    Thanks for those that are helpful, I managed to create a bootable disk.

    Jeff Guest

  12. #12

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas wrote:
    If I rember, I was one of those who tried to help you. Was any
    of the information I gave of use? Did you make the System 6 or the 7
    boot disk?
    I ask as I never got a response to what I wrote for
    suggestions.

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:

  13. #13

    Your suggestions have been helpful and those of others, as well.

    Yes, I did manage to create a System 6 boot disk. Unfortunately, it displayed a
    message saying it doesn't work on my model of Macintosh and that I needed a newer
    version which does.

    Thanks...

    Jeff Guest

  14. #14

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas wrote:
    Oh well, you tried anyway. Are you sure the applications you
    wanted to run will not work on System 7? Baring that you may want to
    see if there are updates to the programs you want to run.
    If you really want to run System 6, I got a Performa 410 that
    runs it. I will give it to you, You can email me for directions how to
    get to ny apartment in Winsted Connecticut. USA

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).
    From the Desk of the Sysop of:

  15. #15

    B'ichela wrote:

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to ya. Been having some trouble with the computer
    - got it sorted out.

    "Borland SideKick" won't work, "MacDraw II" isn't running properly and a dozen other
    applications and a few older games like "Ancient Art of War" or "Transylvania".

    Thank you for your offer.

    Distance is a problem, I live on the other side of the globe. ;-(

    Jeff Guest

  16. #16

    In article <net>, Jeff Thomas wrote:

    > Thank you for your offer.
    >
    > Distance is a problem, I live on the other side of the globe. ;-([/ref]
    Oh well. I am still willing to give it to anyone who wants it.
    I am not shipping it though. If there is anyone who wants it and can
    come to Winsted Connecticut. its yours. All that person needs to do
    is email me to arrange a pickup date. its just the computer, keyboard
    and the rodent. No monitor though.

    --
    A tagline from Comp.os.Linux.Advocacy:
    (I keep hearing RTFM, but I'm not sure where TFM is).
    From the Desk of the Sysop of: