Professional Web Applications Themes

Boot floppy - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

Under Windows nt 4 you could make a boot floppy with boot.ini on it how do i do this under XP...

  1. #1

    Default Boot floppy

    Under Windows nt 4 you could make a boot floppy with
    boot.ini on it how do i do this under XP
    STeve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Boot floppy

    STeve wrote:
    > Under Windows nt 4 you could make a boot floppy with
    > boot.ini on it how do i do this under XP
    Copy Boot.ini, Ntdetect.com, and Ntldr to a floppy.

    --
    "Heavens ta Murgatroid. Exit, stage left !"
    S.Heenan Guest

  3. #3

    I run Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) and I'm well-satisfied with the distro. It
    was installed from a CD I burned from a downloaded .iso file.

    My question: How do I go about making a boot floppy? Or can I use the
    installation CD I made from the .iso file for that purpose? (I'm trying to
    set things up so I can boot Ubuntu from a floppy, instead of relying on the
    boot sector on my hda drive to sort things out.)
    Mouser Guest

  4. #4

    On Mouser wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) and I'm well-satisfied with the distro. It
    > was installed from a CD I burned from a downloaded .iso file.
    >
    > My question: How do I go about making a boot floppy? Or can I use the
    > installation CD I made from the .iso file for that purpose? (I'm trying to
    > set things up so I can boot Ubuntu from a floppy, instead of relying on the
    > boot sector on my hda drive to sort things out.)
    When installed it asks, if I recall correctly, where to install lilo. Tell
    it to install on a floppy.

    --
    Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
    -- Titus Maccius Plautus

  5. #5

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 20:49:00 +0000, Bud wrote:
    > On Mouser wrote:
    >> I run Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) and I'm well-satisfied with the distro. It
    >> was installed from a CD I burned from a downloaded .iso file.
    >>
    >> My question: How do I go about making a boot floppy? Or can I use the
    >> installation CD I made from the .iso file for that purpose? (I'm trying to
    >> set things up so I can boot Ubuntu from a floppy, instead of relying on the
    >> boot sector on my hda drive to sort things out.)
    >
    > When installed it asks, if I recall correctly, where to install lilo. Tell
    > it to install on a floppy.
    Note that the current kernel is too big to fit on a floppy. Try the live
    CD.

    Stephen Rush Guest

  6. #6

    Stephen Rush wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 May 2006 20:49:00 +0000, Bud wrote:
    >
    >> On Mouser wrote:
    >>> I run Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) and I'm well-satisfied with the distro. It
    >>> was installed from a CD I burned from a downloaded .iso file.
    >>>
    >>> My question: How do I go about making a boot floppy? Or can I use the
    >>> installation CD I made from the .iso file for that purpose? (I'm trying to
    >>> set things up so I can boot Ubuntu from a floppy, instead of relying on the
    >>> boot sector on my hda drive to sort things out.)
    >> When installed it asks, if I recall correctly, where to install lilo. Tell
    >> it to install on a floppy.
    >
    > Note that the current kernel is too big to fit on a floppy. Try the live
    > CD.

    Correct me if i'm wrong, but one can install just the bootloader to the
    floppy; if the kernel is in place on the drive, the bootloader should
    find any OS to boot to, right?
    tuxtyro Guest

  7. #7

    On tuxtyro wrote:
    > Stephen Rush wrote:

    >>> When installed it asks, if I recall correctly, where to install lilo. Tell
    >>> it to install on a floppy.
    >>
    >> Note that the current kernel is too big to fit on a floppy. Try the live
    >> CD.
    >>
    > Correct me if i'm wrong, but one can install just the bootloader to the
    > floppy; if the kernel is in place on the drive, the bootloader should
    > find any OS to boot to, right?
    Correct. I have three Linux OS on a lilo boot floppy, and room for more.

  8. #8

    Mouser wrote:
    > My question: How do I go about making a boot floppy?
    <disclaimer: I'm a newb here, just reading docs trying to solve my own
    problem>

    [url]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GrubHowto/BootFloppy[/url] This how to describes
    making a GRUB boot floppy. [...] It assumes that you are making the
    diskette on a Ubuntu Linux box.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest