Professional Web Applications Themes

Boot Partition Lost in SCSI Drive - Linux / Unix Administration

Dear all, could anyone help me out for the following problem: I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIX) ver 5.d having Ingres ver 6.4 Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partition has been corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too. Error Message appears: "Press F1 key to search the boot partition or F2 for BIOS Setup." Task ==== Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C. Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition without disturbing the old installation ...

  1. #1

    Default Boot Partition Lost in SCSI Drive

    ====
    Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C.
    Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition
    without disturbing the old installation of database (ingres). or atleast
    recover all the data in the database for later use.

    thanks
    adnan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Boot Partition Lost in SCSI Drive

    On 1 Sep 2004 03:33:24 -0700, adnan
    <adnan_abbasihotmail.com> wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > could anyone help me out for the following problem:
    >
    > I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIXW) ver
    5.d having
    > Ingres ver 6.4
    >
    > Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partWition
    has been
    > corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too.

    If it doesn't find the hard drive, you've got a hardware problem.
    Standard advice would be to get a new drive and restore from backup.
    (does anybody actually do backups?)

    --
    If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests? (Think about it)
    Bill Marcum Guest

  3. #3

    On 1 Sep 2004 03:33:24 -0700, [email]adnan_abbasihotmail.com[/email] (adnan) wrote:

    [Follow-up set to comp.unix.sco.misc]
    >Dear all,
    >
    >could anyone help me out for the following problem:
    >
    >I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIX) ver 5.d having
    >Ingres ver 6.4
    >
    >Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partition has been
    >corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too.
    If the SCSI controller can't see the drive, then your drive is
    probably dead. Time to replace it and restore from backups.

    >Error Message appears:
    >"Press F1 key to search the boot partition or F2 for BIOS Setup."
    >

    >Task
    >====
    >Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C.
    >Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition
    >without disturbing the old installation of database (ingres). or atleast
    >recover all the data in the database for later use.
    >
    >thanks

    Scott McMillan
    Scott McMillan Guest

  4. #4

    Scott McMillan <smcmillantwmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<aoccj0hf4eouisngrnll278vgsaqdihbne4ax.com>. ..
    > On 1 Sep 2004 03:33:24 -0700, [email]adnan_abbasihotmail.com[/email] (adnan) wrote:
    >
    > [Follow-up set to comp.unix.sco.misc]
    >
    > >Dear all,
    > >
    > >could anyone help me out for the following problem:
    > >
    > >I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIX) ver 5.d having
    > >Ingres ver 6.4
    > >
    > >Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partition has been
    > >corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too.
    >
    > If the SCSI controller can't see the drive, then your drive is
    > probably dead. Time to replace it and restore from backups.
    >

    > >Error Message appears:
    > >"Press F1 key to search the boot partition or F2 for BIOS Setup."
    > >

    > >Task
    > >====
    > >Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C.
    > >Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition
    > >without disturbing the old installation of database (ingres). or atleast
    > >recover all the data in the database for later use.
    > >
    > >thanks
    >

    > Scott McMillan

    Thanks, but luckily, the SCSI controller find it at iD 0 with a DRIVE C.
    but didn't find boot partition on it. So what would be the procedure to
    restore (recover) the boot partition only leave all the prior installations
    as it is.

    thanks
    Adnan Abbasi
    adnan Guest

  5. #5

    On 2 Sep 2004 22:40:37 -0700, adnan <adnan_abbasihotmail.com> wrote:

    > Thanks, but luckily, the SCSI controller find it at iD 0 with a DRIVE C.
    > but didn't find boot partition on it. So what would be the procedure to
    > restore (recover) the boot partition only leave all the prior installations
    > as it is.
    Mount that disk on another system that can see it, get your data, and
    re-install onto a new non-suspect disk drive. Transfer your data back.
    It's the safest way.

    Dave Hinz
    Dave Hinz Guest

  6. #6

    In article <754bbed4.0409022140.d313d00posting.google.com> ,
    adnan <adnan_abbasihotmail.com> wrote:
    >Scott McMillan <smcmillantwmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<aoccj0hf4eouisngrnll278vgsaqdihbne4ax.com>. ..
    >> On 1 Sep 2004 03:33:24 -0700, [email]adnan_abbasihotmail.com[/email] (adnan) wrote:
    >>
    >> [Follow-up set to comp.unix.sco.misc]
    >>
    >> >Dear all,
    >> >
    >> >could anyone help me out for the following problem:
    >> >
    >> >I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIX) ver 5.d having
    >> >Ingres ver 6.4
    >> >
    >> >Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partition has been
    >> >corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too.
    >>
    >> If the SCSI controller can't see the drive, then your drive is
    >> probably dead. Time to replace it and restore from backups.
    >>

    >> >Error Message appears:
    >> >"Press F1 key to search the boot partition or F2 for BIOS Setup."
    >> >

    >> >Task
    >> >====
    >> >Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C.
    >> >Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition
    >> >without disturbing the old installation of database (ingres). or atleast
    >> >recover all the data in the database for later use.
    >> >
    >> >thanks
    >>

    >> Scott McMillan
    >
    >Thanks, but luckily, the SCSI controller find it at iD 0 with a
    >DRIVE C. but didn't find boot partition on it. So what would be
    >the procedure to restore (recover) the boot partition only leave
    >all the prior installations as it is.
    Could it be as something as simple as the partition not being
    active?

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest

  7. #7

    [email]adnan_abbasihotmail.com[/email] (adnan) wrote in message news:<754bbed4.0409022140.d313d00posting.google.c om>...
    > Scott McMillan <smcmillantwmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<aoccj0hf4eouisngrnll278vgsaqdihbne4ax.com>. ..
    > > On 1 Sep 2004 03:33:24 -0700, [email]adnan_abbasihotmail.com[/email] (adnan) wrote:
    > >
    > > [Follow-up set to comp.unix.sco.misc]
    > >
    > > >Dear all,
    > > >
    > > >could anyone help me out for the following problem:
    > > >
    > > >I have PII 450MHz Intel Based Machine with SCO OpenServer (UNIX) ver 5.d having
    > > >Ingres ver 6.4
    > > >
    > > >Now the problem arises in the SCSI hard drive. And its boot partition has been
    > > >corrupted. The SCSI utility didn't find any Hard Drive too.
    > >
    > > If the SCSI controller can't see the drive, then your drive is
    > > probably dead. Time to replace it and restore from backups.
    > >

    > > >Error Message appears:
    > > >"Press F1 key to search the boot partition or F2 for BIOS Setup."
    > > >

    > > >Task
    > > >====
    > > >Anyone guide me recover the boot partition in the SCSI drive C.
    > > >Secondly and more importantly , the way i recover the boot partition
    > > >without disturbing the old installation of database (ingres). or atleast
    > > >recover all the data in the database for later use.
    > > >
    > > >thanks
    > >

    > > Scott McMillan
    >

    > Thanks, but luckily, the SCSI controller find it at iD 0 with a DRIVE C.
    > but didn't find boot partition on it. So what would be the procedure to
    > restore (recover) the boot partition only leave all the prior installations
    > as it is.
    >
    > thanks
    > Adnan Abbasi
    Try to mount this drive onto a working SCO drive and restore, I would
    not trust this drive anymore, I would rather start on the new drive
    after a successful restore.

    Abid
    Abid Khan Guest