Professional Web Applications Themes

Boot problems afther reinstall windows - FreeBSD

Hi, I've recently reinstalled windows. Windows removes the MBR as you know. So ather I installed it I set partion 1 (FreeBSD) active and rebooted. Then I followed the handbook and did fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 ad0. Now I get the orginal screen afther booting. Only it beeps when I press F2 (Windows). I can mount the second partion on FreeBSD, but cant boot. Any ideas to what I'm missing here? # fdisk ******* Working on device /dev/ad0 ******* parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are: cylinders=484521 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl) Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in ...

  1. #1

    Default Boot problems afther reinstall windows

    Hi,

    I've recently reinstalled windows. Windows removes the MBR as you know.
    So ather I installed it I set partion 1 (FreeBSD) active and rebooted.
    Then I followed the handbook and did fdisk -B -b /boot/boot0 ad0. Now I
    get the orginal screen afther booting. Only it beeps when I press F2
    (Windows). I can mount the second partion on FreeBSD, but cant boot. Any
    ideas to what I'm missing here?

    # fdisk
    ******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
    parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    cylinders=484521 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

    Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
    parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
    cylinders=484521 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

    Media sector size is 512
    Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
    Information from DOS bootblock is:
    The data for partition 1 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 20971377 (10239 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
    end: cyl 1023/ head 104/ sector 63
    The data for partition 2 is:
    sysid 12 (0x0c),(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT (LBA))
    start 20980890, size 20948760 (10228 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    beg: cyl 1023/ head 0/ sector 1;
    end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
    The data for partition 3 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 41942880, size 446454288 (217995 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    beg: cyl 1023/ head 210/ sector 1;
    end: cyl 1023/ head 80/ sector 63
    The data for partition 4 is:
    <UNUSED>

    --
    Alex

    Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
    WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Boot problems afther reinstall windows

    What is in your windows boot.ini file?

    Jason Guest

  3. #3

    Windows was able to boot afhter I installed it. I never touched
    boot.ini. The content would have been:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    I now use a different solution. Instead of the freebsd bootloader
    (boot0). I now use the windows bootloader. I copied boot1 to
    c:\freebsd.bin. Then modified windows boot.ini as follow:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=c:\freebsd.bin
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    c:\freebsd.bin="FreeBSD 5"

    This works for me. I still wonder why the stuff below didn't work. In
    the past I would do this with /stand/sysinstall. But I don't dare to do
    this with FreeBSD 5 because of drive geometric warnings.

    On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 02:12:46AM +0000, Jason Henson wrote: [/ref]

  4. #4

    Remember there are two boot blocks, so to speak.
    There is the MBR that lets you choose which slice to boot. There is
    only one of those per disk and it lives in "sector 0" of the disk.
    The MBR generally has a standard calling sequence (that the Bios calls)
    and sets things up to a fairly standard condition and looks for
    standard appearing boot sectors in slices and makes a standard
    call to the selected slice's boot sector. Almost any MBR that
    knows how to recognize a standard boot sector in a slice and lets
    you choose between them if there are more than one can be used
    interchangeably.

    Then there is the boot block with the actual boot loader that starts
    pulling the OS from the bootable partition. On a multi boot disk
    there are several - one per each bootable slice and they live in the
    boot sector of each slice. Those are specific to the OS they are
    booting. Though their calling sequence is standard, what they have
    to do to load and start their own OS is not.

    I am guessing that you managed to overwrite or damage the MS slice'
    boot sector while you were doing things, or didn't get it written
    to the slice properly when you reloaded or something like that.
    Even though you put the MBR back with FreeBSD's fdisk, did you
    also make sure that the MS slice had its own boot loader? Anyway
    you did when you put the MS boot loader back. So it works now.

    ////jerry
     [/ref]

    > --
    > Alex
    >
    > Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
    > WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/

    Jerry Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:53:25AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

    > Remember there are two boot blocks, so to speak.
    > There is the MBR that lets you choose which slice to boot. There is
    > only one of those per disk and it lives in "sector 0" of the disk.
    > The MBR generally has a standard calling sequence (that the Bios calls)
    > and sets things up to a fairly standard condition and looks for
    > standard appearing boot sectors in slices and makes a standard
    > call to the selected slice's boot sector. Almost any MBR that
    > knows how to recognize a standard boot sector in a slice and lets
    > you choose between them if there are more than one can be used
    > interchangeably.
    >
    > Then there is the boot block with the actual boot loader that starts
    > pulling the OS from the bootable partition. On a multi boot disk
    > there are several - one per each bootable slice and they live in the
    > boot sector of each slice. Those are specific to the OS they are
    > booting. Though their calling sequence is standard, what they have
    > to do to load and start their own OS is not.[/ref]

    Is it posible to boot one OS if you only have the MBR?

    The previous time I first installed windows and then FreeBSD 5. The
    difference this time is that I didn't use /stand/sysinstall. This
    because I would get into serious troubel. (I never found out how to
    force the right geometry) So I was thinking maybe sysinstall does
    something (like copy the MBR to the second boot location) that I didn't
    do manualy.

    I used the windows method for when something goes wrong (i.e. reboot)
    and just reinstalled Windows. A added bonus is that I now have one OS as
    default instead the last used. I alway was annoyed about loading the
    previous used. I only want to use Windows if I have to (mostly for
    word - there language functionality is superb).

    Tanks for you time. Appricate it.

  6. #6

    > > > timeout=10
    > >
    > > Remember there are two boot blocks, so to speak.
    > > There is the MBR that lets you choose which slice to boot. There is
    > > only one of those per disk and it lives in "sector 0" of the disk.
    > > The MBR generally has a standard calling sequence (that the Bios calls)
    > > and sets things up to a fairly standard condition and looks for
    > > standard appearing boot sectors in slices and makes a standard
    > > call to the selected slice's boot sector. Almost any MBR that
    > > knows how to recognize a standard boot sector in a slice and lets
    > > you choose between them if there are more than one can be used
    > > interchangeably.
    > >
    > > Then there is the boot block with the actual boot loader that starts
    > > pulling the OS from the bootable partition. On a multi boot disk
    > > there are several - one per each bootable slice and they live in the
    > > boot sector of each slice. Those are specific to the OS they are
    > > booting. Though their calling sequence is standard, what they have
    > > to do to load and start their own OS is not.[/ref]
    >
    > Is it posible to boot one OS if you only have the MBR?[/ref]

    No, you need the boot sector. If you have only that in the first
    location, you can boot without an full MBR, I think, but not without
    the boot sector that the MBR loads and jumps to.

    > The previous time I first installed windows and then FreeBSD 5. The
    > difference this time is that I didn't use /stand/sysinstall. This
    > because I would get into serious troubel. (I never found out how to
    > force the right geometry) So I was thinking maybe sysinstall does
    > something (like copy the MBR to the second boot location) that I didn't
    > do manualy.[/ref]

    I think you are using MBR for boot sector. The MBR is what goes
    in sector 0 of the disk itself. The boot sector/record/block
    goes in the first sector of the slice. The MBR lets you pick the
    slice you want to boot and then loads its boot sector/block/record and
    jumps to it in a standard location.

    ////jerry

    Jerry Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:05:58PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

    > > Is it posible to boot one OS if you only have the MBR?[/ref]
    >
    > No, you need the boot sector. If you have only that in the first
    > location, you can boot without an full MBR, I think, but not without
    > the boot sector that the MBR loads and jumps to.[/ref]

    But its not posible to put the code of the boot sector in the MBR
    place? (i.e. doesn't fit)
     [/ref][/ref]

    I think the anwser to you question should be no. It booted before I put
    the MBR back.

    > I think you are using MBR for boot sector.[/ref]

    I think you mean by word and not on disk.

    MBR = /boot/boot0 (a copy of it)
    boot sector = /boot/boot1

    What I was thinking is:
    Now windows overwrites the MBR. And I was thinking it would put the boot
    sector in the place of MBR. If this is the case then windows looses the
    capability to boot.