Professional Web Applications Themes

booting linux from a floppy - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello I have two hard drives. Windows98 is installed on hda. Mandrake 9.1 is installed on hdb. I do not use LILO as I boot from windows98 most of the time. But I have a floppy to boot from linux OS occasionally, that I made from the installation of linux. The pb is that kernel takes a long time to load from floppy because it does some tests on hda at boot and so...this is the files saved on the floppy: -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 204 Nov 3 21:42 boot.msg* -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 110872 Nov 3 21:42 initrd.img* -r-xr-xr-x ...

  1. #1

    Default booting linux from a floppy

    Hello

    I have two hard drives. Windows98 is installed on hda. Mandrake 9.1 is
    installed on hdb. I do not use LILO as I boot from windows98 most of
    the time. But I have a floppy to boot from linux OS occasionally, that
    I made from the installation of linux.

    The pb is that kernel takes a long time to load from floppy because it
    does some tests on hda at boot and so...this is the files saved on the
    floppy:
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 204 Nov 3 21:42 boot.msg*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 110872 Nov 3 21:42 initrd.img*
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 laurent laurent 7060 Nov 3 21:42 ldlinux.sys*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 155 Nov 3 21:42 syslinux.cfg*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 laurent laurent 1252778 Mar 14 2003 vmlinuz*

    This is my lilo.conf:

    boot=/dev/hdb
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="linux"
    keytable=/boot/fr-latin1.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    vga=788
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hdb1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    read-only

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise
    label=2421-13ent
    root=/dev/hdb1
    read-only
    optional
    vga=788
    append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise.img

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdksmp
    label=2421-13smp
    root=/dev/hdb1
    read-only
    optional
    vga=788
    append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdksmp.img

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdksecure
    label=2421-13sec
    root=/dev/hdb1
    read-only
    optional
    vga=788
    append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdksecure.img
    boot=/dev/hdb
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default="linux"
    keytable=/boot/fr-latin1.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    [rootlocalhost etc]# cat lilo.conf
[...]

    Do you have an idea of what could be the bad config in that? what to
    change to boot directly on the hard drive with the floppy?
    Many thanks for your help.

    Laurent
    lolo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: booting linux from a floppy

    "lolo" <co.uk> skrev i meddelandet

    Boot from MDK cd, type 'rescue' at the prompt,re-install bootloader.

    Conny Guest

  3. #3

    "Conny" <se> wrote in message

    > Boot from MDK cd, type 'rescue' at the prompt,re-install bootloader.[/ref]

    wrong, thats not a solution...

    Leon. Guest

  4. #4

    The problem is in the first line.

    boot=/dev/hdb says to write the boot sector on that hard disk - that is all
    it says.

    So what you want is boot=/dev/fd0

    You dont want any files on the floppy - none are needed. You do not even
    want to mount the floppy at /boot at the time when you install lilo.

    All you want on the floppy is the boot sector by changing the boot=
    The boot sector will then read the files from /boot, and /boot is on a hard
    disk, so its quick to load.

    Although remember that you can only have /boot working with one boot sector
    .. eg if you install lilo onto a different floppy (by running /sbin/lilo )
    you may prevent the old floppy working.

    Leon. Guest

  5. #5

    "Leon." <net> wrote in message news:<3fc9c096$rivernet.com.au>...

    Thanks for that leon, but I am not sure I understand very well cause I
    am a bit new to this system...according to you I 'd just need to
    modify lilo.conf and only the first line as boot=/dev/fd0?? what's the
    use of the floppy then?

    do I need to copy lilo.conf on the floppy as well?
    Thanks for your help in advance guys!
    lolo Guest

  6. #6

    lolo wrote:
    --snip--

    If lilo is configured properly then just make a lilo boot floppy
    with:

    # lilo -b /dev/fd0

    You don't need to make any changes to lilo.conf for this.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  7. #7

    lolo <co.uk> wrote: [/ref]

    Don't argue - just do as he says. Understand afterwards.

    Correct.

    The point of the line change is to put the boot sector on the floppy
    when you run lilo. That's what he explained to you.

    The boot sector will then, when booted, load the image on/from the hard
    disk.
     [/ref]

    No - he won't. Are you [leon] thinking of the map file? The boot
    sector on the floppy will say to pick it up from the hard disk. Umm ...
    I see. It may move if you rerun lilo. yes - it's best to specify that
    the map file should go on the floppy as well.

    In that case you [leon] might also warn him [lolo] about moving
    tehkernel image :-)

    What for? As reference?

    What kind of a name is "lolo" anyway? Masculine of "lola"?

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  8. #8

    "lolo" <co.uk> wrote in message news:> >

    The floppy is used to hold one sector, the boot sector.
    The boot sector then contains instructions to read the kernel from the
    harddisk, and run it.

    If you put the kernel onto the floppy then it loads too slow , right ? So my
    instructions leave the kernel on the harddisk.

    You can put the boot sector onto /dev/hda, or /dev/hdc4 , or /dev/fd0 ,
    right ?
    Its just simple bit of machine code actually. Most of the boot system is
    stored in /boot.
     [/ref]
    sector [/ref]
    /sbin/lilo )

    > do I need to copy lilo.conf on the floppy as well?[/ref]

    Nope. lilo.conf just tells the 'lilo' command what to do.
    After lilo is installed lilo.conf isnt used - until you run lilo again.

    Grub is different -its config files are interpreted each time you boot.

    Leon. Guest

  9. #9

    I have tried what i thought i had understood but I had not at all!
    I duplicated and renamed lilo.conf in order to change the
    first line boot= and to go back if need be.

    My system now is unable to boot linux.
    I go into the rescue mode with the idea to modify lilo.conf and set
    it as before. Then a menu displays several options: install boot
    loader, install windows loader, go to console...
    so I re-installed bootloader and went to the console in order to check
    my lilo.conf, but there is not in /etc??
    I do not know what to do then. How to rectify the system? Please help
    me!!
    lolo Guest

  10. #10

    On 1 Dec 2003 14:26:28 -0800, lolo wrote:

    Why not supprise us and tell us which of the over 40 linux
    distributions you are using and the release level of that
    distribution.

    A very large FAQ search engine
    google_reinstall_boot_loader_search_tag in the first box
    comp.os.linux in the Newsgroup box, pick english

    Bit Guest

  11. #11

    Bit Twister <localdomain> wrote in message news:<home>...

    > Why not supprise us and tell us which of the over 40 linux
    > distributions you are using and the release level of that
    > distribution.
    >

    > A very large FAQ search engine
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > google_reinstall_boot_loader_search_tag in the first box
    > comp.os.linux in the Newsgroup box, pick english
    >

    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.[/ref]

    sorry for that , I thought it had nothing to do with the distributions
    but only booting linux with a floppy. I am using mandrake 9.1 and
    kernel 2.4.21 .
    When I did the change in lilo.conf (boot=/dev/fd0) i ran lilo from
    /sbin, and then I rebooted with the same floppy unchanged...but I am
    only getting lines of L 04 04 04 04.....and finally a question to
    reboot. But it is always responding the same L 04 04 04. Can you help
    me to rectify? I tried to get the console in rescue mode using the
    installation floppy coupled with the cd but I could not find any
    lilo.conf at all in /etc. I was expecting to simply amend it!
    Please help me to get through guys! I have no idea of what to do now.
    lolo Guest

  12. #12

    it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>... [/ref]

    > Don't argue - just do as he says. Understand afterwards.[/ref]

    I changed it, then ran lilo in /sbin, then booted with the same floppy
    unchanged and I ve got lineds of L 04 04 04 04...I do not know what to
    do now.

    > Correct.

    > The point of the line change is to put the boot sector on the floppy
    > when you run lilo. That's what he explained to you.
    >
    > The boot sector will then, when booted, load the image on/from the hard
    > disk.
    > [/ref]
    >
    > No - he won't. Are you [leon] thinking of the map file? The boot
    > sector on the floppy will say to pick it up from the hard disk. Umm ...
    > I see. It may move if you rerun lilo. yes - it's best to specify that
    > the map file should go on the floppy as well.
    >
    > In that case you [leon] might also warn him [lolo] about moving
    > tehkernel image :-)

    > What for? As reference?[/ref]

    just to get it working well. But if I do not need...

    lolo Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks for that David! I just do it from the command line with the
    floppy inside? or a blank floppy?
    lolo Guest

  14. #14

    On 2 Dec 2003 04:50:17 -0800, co.uk (lolo) wrote:

    .... yep
    ..
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    mjt Guest

  15. #15

    On 2 Dec 2003 04:38:42 -0800, co.uk (lolo) wrote:

    .... it's failing on the second stage boot loader. simply
    search on that string at google to find out:
    http://www.google.com/linux, and use "L 01" with the quotes
    ..
    It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro, Georgia.
    mjt Guest

  16. #16

    lolo wrote:

    > Thanks for that David! I just do it from the command line with the
    > floppy inside? or a blank floppy?[/ref]

    Yes, I always format the floppy to ext2 filesystem first to make
    sure it is blank.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.23 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 2 days, 19:02, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00
    David Guest

  17. #17

    lolo <co.uk> wrote:

    > > Don't argue - just do as he says. Understand afterwards.[/ref]
    >
    > I changed it, then ran lilo in /sbin, then booted with the same floppy
    > unchanged and I ve got lineds of L 04 04 04 04...I do not know what to
    > do now.[/ref]

    You should put your boot image somewhere where your bios can boot it.
    You seem to be causing a nice bios error (04. Well done. Haven't seen
    that one in ages) when it tries. Look it up in your bios manufacturers
    docs if you feel interested (ha ha). If you ain't interested, put the
    boot image somewhere more obviously bootable by the bios, like the low
    sectors of the primary disk on the zeroth ide bus.

    What PRECISELY are you doing?
     [/ref]

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  18. #18

    OK thanks I ll create another boot floppy for it...
    lolo Guest

  19. #19

    mjt <com> wrote in message news:<lv0zb.1177$news.atl.earthlink.net>...

    > ... it's failing on the second stage boot loader. simply
    > search on that string at google to find out:
    > http://www.google.com/linux, and use "L 01" with the quotes
    > .[/ref]

    Thanks but I found nothing but the problem is in LILO. the pb is I
    can't access the system anymore to change the file lilo.conf with my
    boot disk. Any suggestions please?
    lolo Guest

  20. #20

    Can I retrieve the LILO.CONF file and modify it? or Do I have to start
    an installation over? Thanks in advance for your ideas...

    lolo
    lolo Guest