Professional Web Applications Themes

Booting problem - "waiting for application services" - Mac Applications & Software

Hi Roberta, Almost the same problem I am having! Did you get anywhere with it? I am running on a G4, wich is also only two weeks old. For me mainly the lack of MAC understanding that holds me back from progress..... I hope that yours is working by now. Regards, Laszlo. "Roberta L. Millstein" <rlmillsteinspamaway.rlm.net> wrote in message news:<itSHa.15269$hz1.25567sccrnsc01>... > Hi, > > I bought a 17" powerbook several weeks ago. Everything was fine until > one day I was unable to wake the laptop from sleep. I rebooted with the > "three finger salute," only to find that ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Booting problem - "waiting for application services"

    Hi Roberta,

    Almost the same problem I am having!
    Did you get anywhere with it?
    I am running on a G4, wich is also only two weeks old.
    For me mainly the lack of MAC understanding that holds me back from progress.....

    I hope that yours is working by now.

    Regards,

    Laszlo.

    "Roberta L. Millstein" <rlmillsteinspamaway.rlm.net> wrote in message news:<itSHa.15269$hz1.25567sccrnsc01>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I bought a 17" powerbook several weeks ago. Everything was fine until
    > one day I was unable to wake the laptop from sleep. I rebooted with the
    > "three finger salute," only to find that I can no longer boot (running
    > 10.2.6). I get through the "gray apple" stage just fine, but then
    > during the "blue apple" stage the blue progress bar hangs with the
    > message "waiting for network port mapper". Eventually, it continues
    > (gives up?), and goes on to hang with the message "waiting for netinfo".
    > Once again, it eventually continues, and then the message says "waiting
    > for application services." At this point, it seems to just hang forever
    > (although obviously I haven't tested that...) without continuing.
    >
    > I have tried a "safe boot," but the computer hangs in the same places.
    > I tried booting in verbose mode, but again, it hangs in the same places.
    > Neither Disk First Aid (booting from CD) nor fsck (booting in
    > single-user mode) turn up any errors.
    >
    > I would very much like to avoid reinstalling the OS. Does anyone have
    > any other suggestions? There is another mac (an ibook) in the
    > household, so I can boot my powerbook into FireWire "target" mode if
    > it's just a question of replacing a few files (but which files?)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Roberta
    skydiver Guest

  2. #2

    In article <38b50672.0307082158.668d0089posting.google.com >, skydiver
    <lacikabigfoot.com> wrote:
    > Hi Roberta,
    >
    > Almost the same problem I am having!
    > Did you get anywhere with it?
    > I am running on a G4, wich is also only two weeks old.
    > For me mainly the lack of MAC understanding that holds me back from
    > progress.....
    >

    > I hope that yours is working by now.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Laszlo.
    >
    > "Roberta L. Millstein" <rlmillsteinspamaway.rlm.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I bought a 17" powerbook several weeks ago. Everything was fine until
    > > one day I was unable to wake the laptop from sleep. I rebooted with the
    > > "three finger salute," only to find that I can no longer boot (running
    > > 10.2.6). I get through the "gray apple" stage just fine, but then
    > > during the "blue apple" stage the blue progress bar hangs with the
    > > message "waiting for network port mapper". Eventually, it continues
    > > (gives up?), and goes on to hang with the message "waiting for netinfo".
    > > Once again, it eventually continues, and then the message says "waiting
    > > for application services." At this point, it seems to just hang forever
    > > (although obviously I haven't tested that...) without continuing.
    > >
    > > I have tried a "safe boot," but the computer hangs in the same places.
    > > I tried booting in verbose mode, but again, it hangs in the same places.
    > > Neither Disk First Aid (booting from CD) nor fsck (booting in
    > > single-user mode) turn up any errors.
    > >
    > > I would very much like to avoid reinstalling the OS. Does anyone have
    > > any other suggestions? There is another mac (an ibook) in the
    > > household, so I can boot my powerbook into FireWire "target" mode if
    > > it's just a question of replacing a few files (but which files?)
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Roberta
    don't know it it will solve your problems, but I had difficulty a while
    back booting - didn't solve it until I reset the PMU button on the
    motherboard. I think it was labeled PMU. A simple single push of the
    button was all it took. (This was AFTER zapping the PRAM and running
    fsck, which found no errors).

    My computer is a dual 867Mhz, with easy access to my motherboard. Not
    sure what kind of access you have in a powerbook.

    payshunz
    payshunz Guest

  3. #3

    (Sorry for top posting, flagellate me)

    This issue with "Waiting for Application Services" is exactly what happens
    to my Cube when it is too hot, which happens when I forget to turn on the
    cooling fan.

    It can start while running in X, suddenly apps take 3 minutes to open. Once
    an app is open then closed it will start normally until rebooted.

    Extremely slow booting,10 minutes to the desktop. Seems like the HD access
    is the delay. Can't even boot in FW Disk mode, the FW screen comes up but no
    remote disk is mounted.

    Running hardware troubleshooting disk shows no problems, except for slow
    running. Booting into OS9 on another partition is exactly the same slowness,
    and booting from CD installer also, with Disk Utility finding nothing.

    Putting an ice pack on my Cube's processor doesn't help, so I am inclined to
    think the Hard Drive controller/hardware is at fault.

    Waiting for the Cube to totally cool down solves the problem and all is back
    to normal. The condition may be progressive, since this is the first summer
    it has happened to this Cube.

    All the evidence suggests HD overheating.

    -- Gnarlie
    [url]http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/Computer/Cube/Cube.html[/url]

    Entity payshunz spoke thus:

    Gnarlodious Guest