Professional Web Applications Themes

booting problems - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi, Recently, I have configured my ES-250 Sun Enterprise server to mirror the two disks using Solstice 4.2 (OS 8) I was able to mirror the two disks (c0t0d0s.. and c0t12d0s..) sucessfully. Each disk lay out as followed root s0 usr s1 swap s3 opt s4 home s5 var s6 unassigned s7 (is used to contain the state database) Everything was working fine until I decided to simulate by switch the drive and location of these. Upon powering off the system, I removed c0t0d0 and placed it in c0t8d0. I then removed c0t12d0 (mirror)and placed it in c0t0d0 and then ...

  1. #1

    Default booting problems

    Hi,
    Recently, I have configured my ES-250 Sun Enterprise server to mirror
    the two disks using Solstice 4.2 (OS 8)
    I was able to mirror the two disks (c0t0d0s.. and c0t12d0s..)
    sucessfully.
    Each disk lay out as followed
    root s0
    usr s1
    swap s3
    opt s4
    home s5
    var s6
    unassigned s7 (is used to contain the state
    database)

    Everything was working fine until I decided to simulate by
    switch the drive and location of these.
    Upon powering off the system, I removed c0t0d0 and
    placed it in c0t8d0. I then removed c0t12d0
    (mirror)and placed it in c0t0d0 and then powering the
    system on, I can see the following
    Sun Enterprise 250 400MHZ
    OpenBoot 3.22 1024 MB Memory ...
    Ethernet Address 0:3:ba:.... Host ID ...
    Initialize memory
    Boot device: disk file and args:
    Then it just sit there, like it waiting for something.
    I waited and waited for hour and still nothing
    changed. I can see the power LED is on and that's
    the only LED is lid on the ES.-250, the other 5 LED is off.

    I tried to place the disks back to its original location and
    boot but it still failed, and resulted the same as mention above.

    Now, neither one of these disks (Primary and mirror) boot.
    I booted from CD and tried to mount the root by
    issuing this command
    # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
    and it said
    mount: no such device
    Mount: can not mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
    I figured if I can mount the root then I can go in and modified
    the /etc/vfstab and boot w/o the SVM.
    My two questions are
    Does anyone know how I can mount this root partition?
    This is the only one I can't not mount.
    The other slices mount no problem at all.

    Phong
    phongle Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: booting problems

    Did you try to fix this partition using the fsck command.

    fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

    See the manpage for fsck, you may need use -o b=32 option to correct
    some superblock problems. the -N option will show you all alternative
    superblocks to use.

    [email]15da5e75.0306271859.58009f31posting.google.com[/email]...

    M. Bouherrou Guest

  4. #4

    Did you try to fix this partition using the fsck command.

    fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

    See the manpage for fsck, you may need use -o b=32 option to correct
    some superblock problems. the -N option will show you all alternative
    superblocks to use.

    "phongle" <phongle_1959> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email]15da5e75.0306271859.58009f31posting.google.com[/email]...
    > Hi,
    > Recently, I have configured my ES-250 Sun Enterprise server to mirror
    > the two disks using Solstice 4.2 (OS 8)
    > I was able to mirror the two disks (c0t0d0s.. and c0t12d0s..)
    > sucessfully.
    > Each disk lay out as followed
    > root s0
    > usr s1
    > swap s3
    > opt s4
    > home s5
    > var s6
    > unassigned s7 (is used to contain the state
    > database)
    >
    > Everything was working fine until I decided to simulate by
    > switch the drive and location of these.
    > Upon powering off the system, I removed c0t0d0 and
    > placed it in c0t8d0. I then removed c0t12d0
    > (mirror)and placed it in c0t0d0 and then powering the
    > system on, I can see the following
    > Sun Enterprise 250 400MHZ
    > OpenBoot 3.22 1024 MB Memory ...
    > Ethernet Address 0:3:ba:.... Host ID ...
    > Initialize memory
    > Boot device: disk file and args:
    > Then it just sit there, like it waiting for something.
    > I waited and waited for hour and still nothing
    > changed. I can see the power LED is on and that's
    > the only LED is lid on the ES.-250, the other 5 LED is off.
    >
    > I tried to place the disks back to its original location and
    > boot but it still failed, and resulted the same as mention above.
    >
    > Now, neither one of these disks (Primary and mirror) boot.
    > I booted from CD and tried to mount the root by
    > issuing this command
    > # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
    > and it said
    > mount: no such device
    > Mount: can not mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
    > I figured if I can mount the root then I can go in and modified
    > the /etc/vfstab and boot w/o the SVM.
    > My two questions are
    > Does anyone know how I can mount this root partition?
    > This is the only one I can't not mount.
    > The other slices mount no problem at all.
    >
    > Phong

    M. Bouherrou Guest

  5. #5

    Yep got that problem on my SGI at the moment. I tried xfs_restore but that
    said there are lots of errors and it fixed most probs but I decided to
    recover all the data I can and pull the rest from my DLT backup tape
    system. I'm going to first run dd on the disk to write zero to the whole
    disk then I'll partition it and do a new mkfs. I will then test the disk
    for bad blocks and errors. I take it you have the data on tape or another
    media?

    Khalid Schofield

    Khalid Schofield Guest

  6. #6

    On 28 Jun 2003, phongle wrote:
    > Yes, I tried to fsck and it said "Cannot read block 143272224. I
    > tried to a different super block and it said the same thing.
    > Do you have any other ideas?
    > Thanks
    > Phong
    > [email]phongle_1959[/email] (phongle) wrote in message news:<15da5e75.0306271859.58009f31posting.google. com>...
    > > Hi,
    > > Recently, I have configured my ES-250 Sun Enterprise server to mirror
    > > the two disks using Solstice 4.2 (OS 8)
    > > I was able to mirror the two disks (c0t0d0s.. and c0t12d0s..)
    > > sucessfully.
    > > Each disk lay out as followed
    > > root s0
    > > usr s1
    > > swap s3
    > > opt s4
    > > home s5
    > > var s6
    > > unassigned s7 (is used to contain the state
    > > database)
    > >
    > > Everything was working fine until I decided to simulate by
    > > switch the drive and location of these.
    > > Upon powering off the system, I removed c0t0d0 and
    > > placed it in c0t8d0. I then removed c0t12d0
    > > (mirror)and placed it in c0t0d0 and then powering the
    > > system on, I can see the following
    > > Sun Enterprise 250 400MHZ
    > > OpenBoot 3.22 1024 MB Memory ...
    > > Ethernet Address 0:3:ba:.... Host ID ...
    > > Initialize memory
    > > Boot device: disk file and args:
    > > Then it just sit there, like it waiting for something.
    > > I waited and waited for hour and still nothing
    > > changed. I can see the power LED is on and that's
    > > the only LED is lid on the ES.-250, the other 5 LED is off.
    > >
    > > I tried to place the disks back to its original location and
    > > boot but it still failed, and resulted the same as mention above.
    > >
    > > Now, neither one of these disks (Primary and mirror) boot.
    > > I booted from CD and tried to mount the root by
    > > issuing this command
    > > # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
    > > and it said
    > > mount: no such device
    > > Mount: can not mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
    > > I figured if I can mount the root then I can go in and modified
    > > the /etc/vfstab and boot w/o the SVM.
    > > My two questions are
    > > Does anyone know how I can mount this root partition?
    > > This is the only one I can't not mount.
    > > The other slices mount no problem at all.
    > >
    > > Phong

    Khalid Schofield Guest

  7. #7

    I am not an expert on FreeBSD and I am not an expert on hardware. I think I
    am going nuts compiling my kernel of release 4.11. It compliles all right
    but it wouldn't boot. The error I get is: "panic no BSP found". Anyone has
    an idea of what that means? I'll give you my configuration file just in case
    someone takes the trouble to have a look at it. My machine is the HP t730m,
    3GHz HT, 512 Meg of RAM. I would gladly give more info, thing is that
    install works just fine I just do not have sound or Internet (I use a
    wireless connection) Anyway, here is my conf file.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    #

    # GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386

    #

    # For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on

    # Kernel Configuration Files:

    #

    #
    [url]http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html[/url]

    #

    # The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook

    # if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the

    # FreeBSD World Wide Web server ([url]http://www.FreeBSD.org/[/url]) for the

    # latest information.

    #

    # An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the

    # device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are

    # in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.

    #

    # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.62.2.1 2005/01/14 03:07:39
    scottl Exp $

    machine i386

    #cpu I386_CPU

    #cpu I486_CPU

    #cpu I586_CPU

    cpu I686_CPU

    ident AURORITA

    maxusers 0

    #makeoptions DEBUG=-g #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

    #options MATH_EMULATE #Support for x87 emulation

    options INET #InterNETworking

    options INET6 #IPv6 communications protocols

    options FFS #Berkeley Fast Filesystem

    options FFS_ROOT #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]

    options SOFTUPDATES #Enable FFS soft updates support

    #options UFS_DIRHASH #Improve performance on big directories

    options MFS #Memory Filesystem

    options MD_ROOT #MD is a potential root device

    #options NFS #Network Filesystem

    #options NFS_ROOT #NFS usable as root device, NFS required

    #options MSDOSFS #MSDOS Filesystem

    options CD9660 #ISO 9660 Filesystem

    options CD9660_ROOT #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required

    options PROCFS #Process filesystem

    options COMPAT_43 #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]

    #options SCSI_DELAY=15000 #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI

    options UCONSOLE #Allow users to grab the console

    options USERCONFIG #boot -c editor

    options VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor

    options KTRACE #ktrace(1) support

    options SYSVSHM #SYSV-style shared memory

    options SYSVMSG #SYSV-style message queues

    options SYSVSEM #SYSV-style semaphores

    options P1003_1B #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions

    options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING

    options ICMP_BANDLIM #Rate limit bad replies

    options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev

    #options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug

    # output. Adds ~128k to driver.

    options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT # Print register bitfields in debug

    # output. Adds ~215k to driver.

    # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed

    options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel

    options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

    device isa

    #device eisa

    device pci

    # Floppy drives

    device fdc0 at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2

    device fd0 at fdc0 drive 0

    device fd1 at fdc0 drive 1

    #

    # If you have a Toshiba Libretto with its Y-E Data PCMCIA floppy,

    # don't use the above line for fdc0 but the following one:

    #device fdc0

    # ATA and ATAPI devices

    device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14

    device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

    device ata

    device atadisk # ATA disk drives

    device atapicd # ATAPI CDROM drives

    device atapifd # ATAPI floppy drives

    #device atapist # ATAPI tape drives

    options ATA_STATIC_ID #Static device numbering

    # SCSI Controllers

    #device amd # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))

    #device isp # Qlogic family

    #device mpt # LSI-Logic MPT/Fusion

    #device ncr # NCR/Symbios Logic

    #device sym # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

    #options SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40

    # Allow ncr to attach legacy NCR devices when

    # both sym and ncr are configured

    #device adv0 at isa?

    #device adw

    #device bt0 at isa?

    #device aha0 at isa?

    #device aic0 at isa?

    #device ncv # NCR 53C500

    #device nsp # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3

    #device stg # TMC 18C30/18C50

    # SCSI peripherals

    device scbus # SCSI bus (required)

    device da # Direct Access (disks)

    #device sa # Sequential Access (tape etc)

    device cd # CD

    device pass # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

    # RAID controllers interfaced to the SCSI subsystem

    #device asr # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID

    #device dpt # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for options!

    #device iir # Intel Integrated RAID

    #device mly # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID

    #device ciss # Compaq SmartRAID 5* series

    #device twa # 3ware 9000 series PATA/SATA RAID

    # RAID controllers

    #device aac # Adaptec FSA RAID, Dell PERC2/PERC3

    #device aacp # SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)

    #device ida # Compaq Smart RAID

    #device ips # IBM/Adaptec ServeRAID

    #device amr # AMI MegaRAID

    #device mlx # Mylex DAC960 family

    #device pst # Promise Supertrak SX6000

    #device twe # 3ware Escalade

    # atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse

    device atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD

    device atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1

    device psm0 at atkbdc? irq 12

    device vga0 at isa?

    # splash screen/screen saver

    pseudo-device splash

    # Sound driver

    device pcm

    # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console

    #device sc0 at isa? flags 0x100

    # Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver

    device vt0 at isa?

    options XSERVER # support for X server on a vt console

    options FAT_CURSOR # start with block cursor

    # If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT
    lines

    options PCVT_SCANSET=2 # IBM keyboards are non-std

    device agp # support several AGP chipsets

    # Floating point support - do not disable.

    device npx0 at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

    # Power management support (see LINT for more options)

    device apm0 at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

    # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support

    #device card

    #device pcic0 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

    #device pcic1 at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

    # Serial (COM) ports

    device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4

    device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

    device sio2 at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5

    device sio3 at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

    # Parallel port

    device ppc0 at isa? irq 7

    device ppbus # Parallel port bus (required)

    device lpt # Printer

    device plip # TCP/IP over parallel

    device ppi # Parallel port interface device

    #device vpo # Requires scbus and da

    # PCI Ethernet NICs.

    #device de # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')

    #device em # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'')

    #device txp # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')

    #device vx # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

    # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.

    # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!

    device miibus # MII bus support

    #device dc # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes

    #device fxp # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

    #device pcn # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs

    device rl # RealTek 8129/8139

    #device sf # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')

    #device sis # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016

    #device ste # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)

    #device tl # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN

    #device tx # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')

    #device vr # VIA Rhine, Rhine II

    #device wb # Winbond W89C840F

    #device xl # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

    #device bge # Broadcom BCM570x (``Tigon III'')

    # ISA Ethernet NICs.

    # 'device ed' requires 'device miibus'

    #device ed0 at isa? disable port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

    #device ex

    #device ep

    #device fe0 at isa? disable port 0x300

    # Xircom Ethernet

    #device xe

    # PRISM I IEEE 802.11b wireless NIC.

    device awi

    # WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the WaveLAN/IEEE really

    # exists only as a PCMCIA device, so there is no ISA attachment needed

    # and resources will always be dynamically assigned by the pccard code.

    #device wi

    # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the declaration below will

    # work for PCMCIA and PCI cards, as well as ISA cards set to ISA PnP

    # mode (the factory default). If you set the switches on your ISA

    # card for a manually chosen I/O address and IRQ, you must specify

    # those parameters here.

    device an

    #device wlan # 802.11 support

    #device mem # Memory and kernel memory devices

    #device io # I/O device

    # The probe order of these is presently determined by i386/isa/isa_compat.c.

    #device ie0 at isa? disable port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000

    #device le0 at isa? disable port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd0000

    #device lnc0 at isa? disable port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0

    #device cs0 at isa? disable port 0x300

    device sn0 at isa? disable port 0x300 irq 10

    # Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.

    pseudo-device loop # Network loopback

    pseudo-device ether # Ethernet support

    #pseudo-device sl 1 # Kernel SLIP

    pseudo-device ppp 1 # Kernel PPP

    pseudo-device tun # Packet tunnel.

    pseudo-device pty # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

    pseudo-device md # Memory "disks"

    pseudo-device gif # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling

    pseudo-device faith 1 # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

    # The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.

    # Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!

    pseudo-device bpf #Berkeley packet filter

    # USB support

    device uhci # UHCI PCI->USB interface

    device ohci # OHCI PCI->USB interface

    device usb # USB Bus (required)

    device ugen # Generic

    device uhid # "Human Interface Devices"

    device ukbd # Keyboard

    device ulpt # Printer

    device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

    device ums # Mouse

    device uscanner # Scanners

    #device urio # Diamond Rio MP3 Player

    # USB Ethernet, requires mii

    #device aue # ADMtek USB ethernet

    #device axe # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet

    #device cue # CATC USB ethernet

    #device kue # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

    # FireWire support

    device firewire # FireWire bus code

    #device sbp # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)

    device fwe # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

    I greatly appreciate any help you can give.

    Teilhard.

    Teilhard Knight Guest

  9. #9

    Teilhard Knight wrote:
    > I am not an expert on FreeBSD and I am not an expert on hardware.
    Neither am I, but...
    > The error I get is: "panic no BSP found". Anyone has
    > an idea of what that means? I'll give you my configuration file just in
    > case someone takes the trouble to have a look at it. My machine is the HP t730m,
    > 3GHz HT, 512 Meg of RAM.
    (sznipp)
    > # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
    >
    > options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
    >
    > options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
    BSP sounds suspiciously like something that has something to do with SMP
    (we're getting really technical here, eh?). I would try removing those
    two options from your kernel config and/or disabling Hyperthreading in
    BIOS, if that's an option.

    --
    Toomas
    Toomas Aas Guest

  10. #10

    >> I am not an expert on FreeBSD and I am not an expert on hardware.
    >
    > Neither am I, but...
    >
    >> The error I get is: "panic no BSP found". Anyone has
    >> an idea of what that means? I'll give you my configuration file just in
    >> case someone takes the trouble to have a look at it. My machine is the HP
    >> t730m,
    >> 3GHz HT, 512 Meg of RAM.
    >
    > (sznipp)
    >
    >> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
    >>
    >> options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
    >>
    >> options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
    >
    > BSP sounds suspiciously like something that has something to do with SMP
    > (we're getting really technical here, eh?). I would try removing those two
    > options from your kernel config and/or disabling Hyperthreading in BIOS,
    > if that's an option.
    Thank you Toomas for taking the time. I commented out the two lines you
    suggested and unfortunately not even in that way I have a working kernel.
    When the system tries to boot it just shows the lame symbol "|" and then
    after a few seconds it reboots. I'll go through the configuration file again
    and try to see if something was related to a symmetric multiprocessor. I
    wouldn't like to disable hyperthreading in the bIOS because what would be
    the point of having an HT processor? Any more ideas from your part would be
    highly welcome.

    Teilhard

    Teilhard Knight Guest