Professional Web Applications Themes

bootmagic doesnt shows linux partition - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a 40 GB hard disk with following partitions 1) FAT 32 5 GB WIN98 (PRIMARY DOS) 2) SWAP 100MB LINUX SWAP 3) NATIVE 4 GB LINUX NATIVE 4) FAT32 10 GB WIN XP 5) FAT32 10 GB 6) FAT32 10 GB I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first sector of linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic doesnt shows the partition as bootable. I do not want to install LILO and GRUB loaders in MBR as they lengthen the bootup time. What should i do. Do i have to create a seperate boot partition ...

  1. #1

    Default bootmagic doesnt shows linux partition

    I have a 40 GB hard disk with following partitions
    1) FAT 32 5 GB WIN98 (PRIMARY DOS)
    2) SWAP 100MB LINUX SWAP
    3) NATIVE 4 GB LINUX NATIVE
    4) FAT32 10 GB WIN XP
    5) FAT32 10 GB
    6) FAT32 10 GB

    I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first sector of
    linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic
    doesnt shows the partition as bootable. I do not want to install LILO and
    GRUB loaders in MBR as they lengthen the bootup time.
    What should i do. Do i have to create a seperate boot partition before the
    first win98 partition. if yes what type of partition should i
    select in PM8. im running BM8.

    Can something be done to boot.ini to allow triple booting, if someone doesnt
    own BM.
    i currently get only dual booting of 98/xp.
    --
    Madhur
    India

    Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers
    write code that humans can understand.

    Madhur Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: bootmagic doesnt shows linux partition

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 Madhur wrote:
    >I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first
    >sector of linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic doesnt shows the
    >partition as bootable.
    That partition should appear. Can you boot your linux partition with the
    floppy or something else?

    Also, once you click on the BootMagic Configuration you might have to
    choose 'Advanced' to show all the partitions. Then you can choose the
    linux partition and give it a name and more details.

    GL
    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bhqp84$27gsr$1ID-81175.news.uni-berlin.de>, Madhur wrote:
    > I have a 40 GB hard disk with following partitions
    > 1) FAT 32 5 GB WIN98 (PRIMARY DOS)
    > 2) SWAP 100MB LINUX SWAP
    > 3) NATIVE 4 GB LINUX NATIVE
    > 4) FAT32 10 GB WIN XP
    > 5) FAT32 10 GB
    > 6) FAT32 10 GB
    >
    > I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first sector of
    > linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic
    > doesnt shows the partition as bootable. I do not want to install LILO and
    > GRUB loaders in MBR as they lengthen the bootup time.
    > What should i do. Do i have to create a seperate boot partition before the
    > first win98 partition. if yes what type of partition should i
    > select in PM8. im running BM8.
    >
    > Can something be done to boot.ini to allow triple booting, if someone doesnt
    > own BM.
    > i currently get only dual booting of 98/xp.
    > --
    Have you runned the config? My linux partitions on the 2nd disk drive
    also don't have the linux boot partition as "bootable"; I think that
    the "bootable" just applies to dos and windows as I can even boot
    linux with a linux boot floppy.

    Just running the bootmagic config and adding "os" to boot should list
    partitions for booting; think that was how I had to do mine after going
    from win2k to winxp...
    a user Guest

  4. #4

    yes i tried advanced, even added although it showed unbootable but no luck.
    one more question, in order to change the boot record setting can i just
    run setup again and choose upgrade. im using red hat 9.

    --
    Madhur
    India

    Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers
    write code that humans can understand.
    Vwakes <vwakeNOSPAM100softhome.net> wrote in message
    news:Pine.LNX.4.55.0308181431150.4221xnqnccn.cvar zna...
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 Madhur wrote:
    >
    > >I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first
    > >sector of linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic doesnt shows the
    > >partition as bootable.
    >
    > That partition should appear. Can you boot your linux partition with the
    > floppy or something else?
    >
    > Also, once you click on the BootMagic Configuration you might have to
    > choose 'Advanced' to show all the partitions. Then you can choose the
    > linux partition and give it a name and more details.
    >
    > GL
    > V.

    Madhur Guest

  5. #5

    Madhur wrote:
    > I have a 40 GB hard disk with following partitions
    > 1) FAT 32 5 GB WIN98 (PRIMARY DOS)
    > 2) SWAP 100MB LINUX SWAP
    > 3) NATIVE 4 GB LINUX NATIVE
    > 4) FAT32 10 GB WIN XP
    > 5) FAT32 10 GB
    > 6) FAT32 10 GB
    >
    > I have tried installing both LILO and GRUB bootloader in the first sector
    > of linux partition (not MBR), but bootmagic
    > doesnt shows the partition as bootable. I do not want to install LILO and
    > GRUB loaders in MBR as they lengthen the bootup time.
    > What should i do. Do i have to create a seperate boot partition before the
    > first win98 partition. if yes what type of partition should i
    > select in PM8. im running BM8.
    >
    > Can something be done to boot.ini to allow triple booting, if someone
    > doesnt own BM.
    > i currently get only dual booting of 98/xp.
    I don't see anyone telling you that you must use BM, even if you do own it.
    I have no idea why you would want both lilo and grub. You give the
    impression that you haven't read any of the many helpful write-ups on how
    to start grub from boot.ini (much the same as lilo, choose one or the
    other), even though you give a hint that might be what you want.
    --
    Tim Prince
    Tim Prince Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 Madhur wrote:
    >yes i tried advanced, even added although it showed unbootable but no
    >luck.
    I am not sure, I hope you have /boot partition, does it show in the
    list?
    >one more question, in order to change the boot record setting can i
    >just run setup again and choose upgrade. im using red hat 9.
    I am not sure I understand the question. You don't have to reinstall all
    over again.

    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  7. #7

    Madhur wrote:
    > i dont want both lilo and grub, i said i tried both and bootmagic doesnt
    > showed with both the settings. I dont have a seperate boot partition, do i
    > have to make it. If yes of what type ext2,swap,ext3. I am using PM8 and
    > Red Hat 9.

    If you make a /boot partition, either ext2 or ext3 will do. Otherwise, you
    could install grub or lilo on your / partition. Consult the helpful
    doents about copying the grub or lilo record to a boot sector file to
    put on your windows partition along with boot.ini.
    --
    Tim Prince
    Tim Prince Guest