Professional Web Applications Themes

Border and Netscape Support for Flyout Menus - Macromedia Dreamweaver

As a newbie to Dreamweaver, I am hoping someone can tell me what the latest is on Netscape support for flyout menus. After researching this subject, I understand that there are workarounds and 3rd-party products that allow Netscape to display flyouts properly. I would prefer to avoid having to buy a 3rd-party product. Please view the page I have loaded temporarily at: [url]www.scadawireless.com/newsite/draft2.htm[/url]. I created the flyout (drop-down) menus using layers. They display the way I want them to in IE, but in Netscape the text is misaligned, stretched out (vertically) and the white background I set doesn't appear (instead ...

  1. #1

    Default Border and Netscape Support for Flyout Menus

    As a newbie to Dreamweaver, I am hoping someone can tell me what the latest is on Netscape support for flyout menus.

    After researching this subject, I understand that there are workarounds and 3rd-party products that allow Netscape to display flyouts properly. I would prefer to avoid having to buy a 3rd-party product.

    Please view the page I have loaded temporarily at: [url]www.scadawireless.com/newsite/draft2.htm[/url].

    I created the flyout (drop-down) menus using layers. They display the way I want them to in IE, but in Netscape the text is misaligned, stretched out (vertically) and the white background I set doesn't appear (instead the background text on page shows through). Any ideas?

    Secondly, is there a way (in Dreamweaver) to add a gray border to the flyout, so that it is defined against the white page?

    Many thanks - SW.

    Referring URLs
    [url]www.scadawireless.com/newsite/draft2.htm[/url]

    Sue Walsh webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Border and Netscape Support for Flyout Menus

    "Sue Walsh" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message

    > I created the flyout (drop-down) menus using layers. They display the way
    I want them to in IE, but in Netscape the text is misaligned, stretched out
    (vertically) and the white background I set doesn't appear (instead the
    background text on page shows through). Any ideas?

    Remove this line:

    white-space: pre;

    from the mscdropsub class in your style sheet.

    > Secondly, is there a way (in Dreamweaver) to add a gray border to the
    flyout, so that it is defined against the white page?

    Remove all the border attributes from the inline style attribute of your
    menu layers. Add this line to the mscdropsub class in your style sheet:

    border: 1px solid #ccc;

    Gary

    Gary White Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks so much - your first tip did away with all of the problems I was seeing in Netscape 6.

    I tried the tip you gave me for the gray line, but in Netscape it resulted in both the menu and the the individual lines of text having gray boxes around them. So I opted for a graphical dashed line to define the top and bottom of the menus instead.

    See [url]www.scadawireless.com/newsite/draft3.htm[/url]

    You just saved me a whole lot of heartache. Thanks!

    Sue.

    Referring URLs

  4. #4

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:43:50 +0000 (UTC), "Sue Walsh"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >Thanks so much - your first tip did away with all of the problems I
    >was seeing in Netscape 6.
    >
    >I tried the tip you gave me for the gray line, but in Netscape it
    >resulted in both the menu and the the individual lines of text having
    >gray boxes around them. So I opted for a graphical dashed line to
    >define the top and bottom of the menus instead.
    >
    >See [url]www.scadawireless.com/newsite/draft3.htm[/url]
    >
    >You just saved me a whole lot of heartache. Thanks!

    You're welcome, Sue. The tip for the borders worked for me on a copy
    of the page that I saved. I'm not sure exactly what you were doing
    differently. Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

    On a side note, I found your popup menus just a little difficult to
    use on both a WinXP and a Win2k machine with either NN6, NN7, Mozilla,
    IE6, and Opera7. The trigger that displays the menu seems to be below
    the text link that should display it. It also seems that there is a
    slight gap between the trigger and the menu so that, if you don't move
    the mouse quick enough, the menu disappears before you get the mouse
    to it.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest