Professional Web Applications Themes

Borderless Printing - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I try to print to my Canon i950, 4 X 6 borderless, I get a 1/8 inch boreder on the left and right side. Hitting "borderless" produces a greatly enlarged image. How do you get a true borderless image ? Thanks George...

  1. #1

    Default Borderless Printing

    When I try to print to my Canon i950, 4 X 6 borderless, I get a 1/8 inch boreder on the left and right side. Hitting "borderless" produces a greatly enlarged image.

    How do you get a true borderless image ?

    Thanks

    George
    George Rifkin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Borderless Printing

    George,
    I have a printer ( Epson 890 ) which does "borderless" printing on several different sizes of paper. However to get a good, true , reliable borderless image you have to use a paper trimmer, in my opinion. :-(

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  3. #3

    I use a metal ruler, X-acto knife and a cutting board! (My Epson doesn't have borderless print facilities.) Also allows out of computer cropping, if you weren't quite happy after printing!

    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  4. #4

    George
    I have a Canon i850 and I get great 4X6 and 8 1/2 X 11 inch borderless prints by using the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint utility that came with my printer. You have to convert your file, what ever format you work in to JPeg. It's the only file format the utility will eccept.
    I haven't figured out how to print borderless within Elements or Album yet.

    BillB
    William Bauder Guest

  5. #5

    "William Bauder" <jovitabillhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > George
    > I have a Canon i850 and I get great 4X6 and 8 1/2 X 11 inch borderless
    prints by using the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint utility that came with my printer.
    You have to convert your file, what ever format you work in to JPeg. It's
    the only file format the utility will eccept.
    > I haven't figured out how to print borderless within Elements or Album
    yet.

    Hi Bill,

    It should be similar to Epson. Click on Print and then select properties.
    There should be several tabs, including one for paper. If you select that
    tab on an Epson, you're provided a choice to check "Borderless."

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    [url]www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html[/url]
    (digital photography resources)

    Hal Lowe Guest

  6. #6

    George-

    I had a similar problem with my Epson Photo 820 and found a post a while back that said Epson cheated when the "No Margins" option is selected by stretching the image 2-3%. The poster suggested countering this by scaling the image back to about 97.3% and then repostioning in to barely touch the top and left edges. Another suggestion was to use Image/Resize/Scale to reduce the size by about 1/8".

    I've been able to get good borderless prints using these methods but I've found I need to examine all the edges in the print preview with the magnifying glass to be certain I don't have any blank space remaining on the edges.

    Hope that helps.

    Barb
    Barb K Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Barb:

    Thank you and the others for your help.

    After much effort and trial and error, I believe I will leave the borders on the shots I wish to save myself, and use the Canon i950 printer's borderless features for shots I will be giving away. Holding one up against the other shows some differences but you need to look VERY closely ! (The JPEG compression from the Canon is about a 2 MB file and the PSE2 saves as anywhere from a 10 MB to 20 MB file depending upon the shot. Again very hard to spot differences - but they are there.) It is also very easy to print with the Canon's software, especially if I need to print a lot to be given away.

    When I use the Image command, there always seems to be a very, very small border on the print that I can't remove.
    In addition, using this or the Canon borderless stretches the picture out ever so slightly. PSE2 with the border seems to be a more realistic photo - no stretching.

    I have also found out that once compressed by JPEG, the shot cannot be de-compressed. What PSE2 does is to interpolate and add pixels.

    Again, thanks.

    George Rifkin
    George Rifkin Guest