Professional Web Applications Themes

Brand New-bie needs some 'basic' help with Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Ok, I'm sitting here before my newly-revamped Linux Os, once an avid windows user, gone to the lure of the Red Hat. I don't know where to find this information, but I need to know the following: 1. I want to install some software, dont know which one yet, but with windows you simply double-clicked the setup.exe and away you went. With linux, I see this isn't the case. I need a "hand-holder's guide to installing software under Linux". 2. Where can I get some office-like products for my Linux machine? Word, Excell, Acess or Linux similars? 3. Which newsgroup ...

  1. #1

    Default Brand New-bie needs some 'basic' help with Linux

    Ok, I'm sitting here before my newly-revamped Linux Os, once an avid
    windows user, gone to the lure of the Red Hat.

    I don't know where to find this information, but I need to know the
    following:

    1. I want to install some software, dont know which one yet, but with
    windows you simply double-clicked the setup.exe and away you went. With
    linux, I see this isn't the case. I need a "hand-holder's guide to
    installing software under Linux".

    2. Where can I get some office-like products for my Linux machine? Word,
    Excell, Acess or Linux similars?

    3. Which newsgroup would best to join/subscribe to keep asking questions
    like these?

    Thanks
    Scott Fleming
    Newbie to Linux

    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Brand New-bie needs some 'basic' help with Linux

    Scott uttered the immortal words:

    <snip>

    I haven't used Red Hat in ages (Debian now :-) ). "rpm -i
    name.of.package.rpm" from the command line IIRC or maybe KPackage if you
    want a GUI. Red Hat users will be able to tell you more.

    KOffice or OpenOffice.org. Google for the KOffice site but you'll probably
    find one or both on the RH CDs. They may even be installed already.

    This one? ;-) There are some tips for newbies over at alt.comp.linux in the
    "What should a newbie do?" thread posted by me and others. It's always good
    to have other sources of info rather than rely on a NG.

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:28:39 +0000, Scott wrote:

    you may want to post at <linux.redhat.misc> and other RedHat newsgroups
    esp. when your question is bound to RedHat.

    I do not recall which gui tools RedHat offers for installing software but
    you should try looking at their website too for doentation.

    you also need to look at a good book or maybe the Doentation site
    <http://www.linuxdoc.org> and read some stuff about configuration in
    Linux.

    installation of software under Linux is a bit more complex than under
    Windows because Linux has a couple distinct methods. read up on 'rpm'
    packages to get a handle on one of RedHat's main methods.

    for now, if there is a particular piece of software you want to install,
    you could ask a more specific question and someone can help you install
    it. that would in itself be a valuable tutorial.

    Felmon

    felmon Guest

  4. #4

    Scott wrote:

    1. I use Mandrake so I am not familiar with the GUI versions of RPM that
    may exist in RedHat distribution, but I suggest that as RedHat is rpm
    based you should always look for an rpm package for any software that
    you intend to add.
    In Mandrake, installing an rpm package is simply a matter of downloading
    it, switching to an icon view of the download directory and clicking on
    the icon representing the downloaded package. I am sure that RedHat
    has a similar utility.
    You should always try to find an rpm package first as your system is rpm
    based and therefore keeps an rpm database for future upgrades and
    removals of installed packages.
    If you cannot find an rpm package for what you want (this is becoming
    progressively less likely to happen) then look for tarball. Tarballs
    contain either the compiled software or the source code which you can
    then compile, usually by using a simple sequence of the commands
    "/configure", "make" and "make install" as described in the
    doentation that is part of the tarball (a tarball is a package whose
    name ends in .tar.gz or .tar.bz2)

    2. Have you looked to your distribution disks or to the KDE menu on the
    installed desktop? You probably have something like Open Office either
    installed by default or in the distribution disks. This is an office
    suite (there are others) and there are several office applications
    including word processors, spreadsheets and databases also probably in
    your distribution disks. I am inferring the existence of an office
    suite and other office software because Mandrake installs it by default
    and RedHat and Mandrake are in competition to provide continuously
    upgraded levels of application software.

    3. Try lurking on alt.os.linux.redhat and comp.os.linux.redhat for a
    while until you get the flavour of the groups. Generally, look for
    groups respecting specific areas, such as hardware or networking, under
    comp.os.linux.*

    Clive Guest

  5. #5

    Scott wrote:

    i think, especially in the beginning, you should install from the ectra
    packages on your CDs. there is a lot there, and it will match your OS.

    it's going to sound scary, and maybe it is, but this is a big difference
    from windows. there, a setup.exe will pretty much work for all recent
    windows releases, but on linux ... a mandrake 'rpm' will probably not drop
    in and work on red hat. or an 'rpm' for redhat 8.2 might not drop into
    redhat 8.0

    bu the good news is that the CDs carry a lot, and there are automated tools
    you can learn to use later that will go out and find the 'matching' rpms for
    you on the net.

    any basic red hat book should cover how to install more packages from cds.
    the online help (built-in, or web) should as well.

    check your CDs for OpenOffice, AbiWord, GNUmeric ... what are you running,
    GNOME or KDE?

    oh, one of the windows advocacy groups, definitely. (just kidding :-)

    Socks Guest