Professional Web Applications Themes

Breaking the design as text is added - Help needed. - Macromedia Fireworks

I?m having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to make a section of a Fireworks template stretch when text is added in Dreamweaver. Hope someone can point me to a tutorial or tell me how to do this. Here is what I am trying to do. I design a site template in Fireworks. Header graphic at the top, nav bar below it, etc. I then create a box using the rectangular tool. I color it blue; give it a drop shadow, etc. I then slice, save and export to Dreamweaver. IN DW I start entering text inside ...

  1. #1

    Default Breaking the design as text is added - Help needed.

    I?m having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to make a section of a Fireworks template stretch when text is added in Dreamweaver. Hope someone can point me to a tutorial or tell me how to do this. Here is what I am trying to do.

    I design a site template in Fireworks. Header graphic at the top, nav bar below it, etc. I then create a box using the rectangular tool. I color it blue; give it a drop shadow, etc. I then slice, save and export to Dreamweaver. IN DW I start entering text inside the text box I created. At some point soon, the text exceeds the original area of my fancy text box and now the graphic is broken on the sides as I add more text and stretch the box vertically. Question is: What/how do I do in order for the box to stretch with the text without visual break on the sides? I?ve seen sites to this ? but how?

    Andre Guest

  2. #2

    In article <buhujm$ehi$macromedia.com>,
    "Andre K" com wrote:

    Save the HTML of those sites and open the files in DW, and you'll see
    nested tables. Easier to see than to explain.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  3. #3

    "Andre K" com wrote:

    Examine the code on one of those sites and see how it's done. More
    importantly, don't use Fireworks to generate your HTML. Fireworks is a
    graphics application and only deals with fixed sized elements. The code
    structure behing a Web doent is much better built in Dreamweaver or
    another dedicated Web authoring application, any of which are far better
    suited to create the actual code structure behind a design than the
    limited and unflexible HTML export feature grafted on a graphics
    application like Fireworks.

    You will have to plan your slicing differently so that you can have
    certain slices/images that will serve has backgrounds for stretching
    elements so that "gaps" between fixed elements are filled with
    something. As for the rest of the layout, export only the bare minimal
    elements that need to be displayed as graphics and use HTML markup to
    define what the elements are (headers, paragraphs, etc) and CSS to style
    the whole thing.

    Fireworks layouts are frozen and inflexible and there is nothing you can
    do within Fireworks to change this other than exporting your design as
    nested tables which can work if you,re lucky... Using nested tables is
    usually not necessary and often creates creates needlessly bloated code
    with 2, 3 and even 4 levels of nesting which will mean that your page
    will take ages to render on many browsers. It's just a lot better to
    create a basic skeleton in Dreamweaver and import your elements into it
    and keep full control over what's going on. I sometimes do it without
    tables using pure CSS but tables are certainly easier to deal with.

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron
    Stéphane Guest