Professional Web Applications Themes

British and American English... - Mac Applications & Software

Hello everyone I live in the UK, but will be visiting the US at Christmas time... I'm considering becoming a 'switcher'! - if I pick up an American Powerbook G4 12" in the States, will the operating system allow me to select British English as the system language? Can I look forward to adjusting the "colours", not "colors"? - Will I have to reinstall Jaguar and select British English, or can you change a setting on some control panel? - Or will I have to buy a UK version of Jaguar/wait for Panther? I'll be buying a UK version of ...

  1. #1

    Default British and American English...

    Hello everyone

    I live in the UK, but will be visiting the US at Christmas time... I'm
    considering becoming a 'switcher'!

    - if I pick up an American Powerbook G4 12" in the States, will the
    operating system allow me to select British English as the system
    language? Can I look forward to adjusting the "colours", not "colors"?

    - Will I have to reinstall Jaguar and select British English, or can
    you change a setting on some control panel?

    - Or will I have to buy a UK version of Jaguar/wait for Panther?

    I'll be buying a UK version of Office vX so I'm guessing that should
    come with British English spelling/grammar, etc?

    Thank you for you time! Best wishes, Roy
    Roy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: British and American English...

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Roy V) wrote:

    You should be able to make the change using System Preferences. But it
    might be simpler to reinstall, since the installer walks you through all
    the necessary steps rather than expecting you to figure them out for
    yourself.

    No such thing; there's one Jaguar, and will presumably be one Panther,
    which include localization information for every region supported.

    I'd expect so, since the copy I got in the USA includes a British
    spelling option. :-)

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    Roy V <com> wrote:

    Well, now, you could adopt a technically simpler but socially more
    radical solution and just become an American!

    Imagine a whole new set of "switcher" commercials:

    I'm Tony Blair. I used to run a small country off the coast of France.
    When I was British I imagine I crashed on a weekly basis, sometimes
    even every day. I'd go off for a foreign-policy victory tour, and a
    prominent employee of my defence ministry would die. Or I'd be giving
    a speech in Parliament and a backbencher from my own party would stand
    up and say "Are you trying to tell us that your weapons of mass
    destruction stories had any more factual basis than the tales of the
    Brothers Grimm?" So I tried out being an American, and it was
    astonishing! I'd be giving a speech to their toughest politicians, and
    they'd interrupt me 17 times with standing ovations! I didn't have to
    read users manuals to figure out how to address the second son of a
    non-hereditary viscount; when I met an American I could just point and
    say, "Hey, bud, how's it going?" and get a polite response on the
    first try! And there are no difficult foreign languages to learn, or
    much of *anything* to learn, for that matter... and you don't have to
    install all sorts of complicated international agreements to invade other
    countries! Catch me waving the Union Jack again? I don't think so!

    --
    David Sewell, University of Virginia
    Charlottesville, VA USA

  4. #4

    com (Roy V) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    I am a novice at this, but I did this.

    system preferences > International

    click on the language tab.

    Click on edit.

    check off British English and Austrialian English.

    Dragged British English to the top of the list of languages.

    Got message:
    Changes take effect in the Finder the next time you log in. Changes
    take effect in the applications the next time you open them.

    ( The finder is the program which runs the desktop. )

    Restarted mail. Typed in:

    How do you spell color and colour.

    Ran system spell checker.
    Spell checker objected to color and gave me a list of words to pick
    from Colour was the first word in list. Word colour was fine.

    Mail is a built in application and MacOS X has a built in spell
    checker. Mail uses this built in spell checker.

    My system came with 1.1.x and a 10.2 cd-rom. I installed 10.2 and did
    the easy install. Have not tested the system help for how color and
    colour is spelled. I think all the help files and system messages are
    installed for most/all languages by default.

    Robert
    Robert Guest

  5. #5

    So how to get rid of the British flag in the 10.2.6 menubar even though
    I have only one keyboard language selected (UK English)?

    Stan
    Stan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <250720032357267712%com>, Stan The Man
    <com> wrote:

    You definitely have more than one keyboard layout selected.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  7. #7

    Stan The Man <com> wrote:

    In the Language tab of the International preference pane, click
    "Edit..." and uncheck everything except British English. Then go to the
    Input Menu tab and uncheck everything except British.
    Neill Guest

  8. #8

    In article <250720031722386931%invalid>,
    Jerry Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    > You definitely have more than one keyboard layout selected.[/ref]

    Quite possible but definitely not "definitely". I have several users on
    my Mac, most using only US-english, 2 using only dutch. The US-english
    ones show no flag. One of the dutch ones doesn't show a flag, the other
    dutch one *does*. I've found no way to fix this. When I have time I'll
    probably delete that user and create it again. See what that brings.
    (The worst of it is that the one misbehaving account allows that user to
    Open System Preferences, even though System Preferences is not lised in
    the apps that user is allowed to open.)

    Rumour has it that this is a 'known' bug in Jaguar and can be 'fixed' by
    making sure all users are set to use the one same language. Not a real
    world option.

    --
    Free and shareware at <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/software/>
    Sander Guest

  9. #9

    In article <euro.net>, Sander
    Tekelenburg <invalid> wrote:

    >> You definitely have more than one keyboard layout selected.[/ref]
    >
    >Quite possible but definitely not "definitely". I have several users on
    >my Mac, most using only US-english, 2 using only dutch. The US-english
    >ones show no flag. One of the dutch ones doesn't show a flag, the other
    >dutch one *does*. I've found no way to fix this. When I have time I'll
    >probably delete that user and create it again. See what that brings.
    >(The worst of it is that the one misbehaving account allows that user to
    >Open System Preferences, even though System Preferences is not lised in
    >the apps that user is allowed to open.)
    >
    >Rumour has it that this is a 'known' bug in Jaguar and can be 'fixed' by
    >making sure all users are set to use the one same language. Not a real
    >world option.[/ref]

    My G4 PB has only one user and I have unchecked all languages except UK
    English in both the International pane and the Input Menu tab. The only
    way I can - temporarily - get rid of the flag is to check a second
    input language, eg US, and then uncheck it again. The flag will then
    disappear for a few minutes but it always comes back without any
    further changes to settings.

    Stan
    Stan Guest

  10. #10

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Roy V) wrote:

    Yes

    Yes you can.

    No.

    Yes.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  11. #11

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Roy V) wrote:

    Yes. There's only one, multi-language, version of OS X. It
    supports all languages.

    No. Even the UK-English version uses 'color'. Apple haven't
    done much to separate the two languages yet.

    For each user, there's a list of languages ranked in the order
    that they prefer them in. If you move UK English to the top
    of the list for a particular user, that's the language that the
    system will try to use for them.

    Simon Guest