Professional Web Applications Themes

Browser Challenges (Mac) - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I need some browser info... Can anyone tell me how NS 6 or 7 and IE 6 handles the way web pages look as opposed to NS 4.7 or IE 5? I typically us IE 5 or NS 4.7 on a mac. I found NS6 to be unreliable and buggy at times. Are these new browser versions stable and are they consistent? Anyway, I have always had browser challenges like most, but I find IE to be the most stable, at least for now. I wonder what the standards will be for builders on mac platforms now that Microsoft has ...

  1. #1

    Default Browser Challenges (Mac)

    I need some browser info... Can anyone tell me how NS 6 or 7 and IE 6 handles the way web pages look as opposed to NS 4.7 or IE 5? I typically us IE 5 or NS 4.7 on a mac. I found NS6 to be unreliable and buggy at times. Are these new browser versions stable and are they consistent?

    Anyway, I have always had browser challenges like most, but I find IE to be the most stable, at least for now. I wonder what the standards will be for builders on mac platforms now that Microsoft has decided to discontinue upgrades for the mac.

    mdream webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Browser Challenges (Mac)

    > Microsoft has not discontinued upgrades for MSIE 5/Mac - they're just
    > not going to give them away. If you sign up for MSN as your ISP you'll
    > be getting updates. In fact the latest version is showing up on logs as
    > 'MSIE 6 Mac OS X'
    MS has killed IE on all platforms in terms of being a standalone
    application. As JEB states, for the Mac, you'll have to sign up for MSN
    (blech) to get the updates.

    As for 'standard' browsers on OSX, Safari will be the one to watch, as both
    Safari and now Omniweb both use the same rendering engine. Gecko flavored
    browsers will remain popular as well (Camino, Mozilla, Netscape 7, etc.)

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  3. #3

    You could always get a PC :p

    *runs and jumps for flame-proof cover!*

    MX is like a box of chocolates - Someone's usually eaten the good bits already!
    Flashjunky webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well being a cross-platform user, I agree that Netscape should really be no longer developed for because it is extremely outdated.

    As far as IE being the most stable I really have to disagree with that on both platforms. IE on mac was never an issue because it was too slow to use anyways, but on Windows IE's #1 problem is that it is not standards compliant. Basically this means that all code will look different in IE and some code is especially for IE, but hopefully this will fade out in v7 (that will ship with Longhorn) because FrontPage is losing the extensions and most of the "IE only" coding because there is a browser market out there, even if it is a free one.

    Personally on the mac platform it has really come down to three browsers. Camino, which is Aqua based and has already failed tests in Panther (the next upgrade to Mac OS X) by crashing upon launch every time, so its future is really up in the air right now.

    Then there is Firebird, which also exists on Windows. Mozilla is really going to be pushing Firebird, along with the mail client Thunderbird, as their browser of choice because of the tabs, ad-blocking, and easy customization of the browser windows, not to mention it's speed which is the fastest cross-platform browser. However, on the Mac platform Firebird is still way too young missing such simple features as a way to switch between open windows.

    The third option for Mac users is Safari. Despite the problems that still need to be fixed in the 1.0 release, Apple seems committed to making sure it is the dominant browser on the Mac platform by keeping it up to date with the latest features.

    If I were you I would always use something like Mozilla Firebird (on either platform) to test because it, unlike IE, is standards compliant. So this just means that anything that looks ok in Firebird will be ok in IE.

    SnakEyez webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    > If I were you I would always use something like Mozilla Firebird (on
    either platform) to test because it, unlike IE, is standards compliant. So
    this just means that anything that looks ok in Firebird will be ok in IE.

    IE 5/Mac is highly standards compliant.

    It should be noted that just because a site looks OK in a standards
    compliant browser it will not necessarily look OK in all of the rest. If
    you're concerned about other browsers, you really need to test in them.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  6. #6

    Can I run MSIE 6 on my mac if I am running OS 9.2? If so, where can I get a copy of it? I tried going to the MSN website but couldn't find it.

    mdream webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest