Professional Web Applications Themes

buggy man-page rendering using groff included with 507 - SCO

I am noticing a problem with the groff included with 5.0.7 when rendering new man-pages that I never had before with the groff from skunkware on 5.0.4, 5.0.5 & 5.0.6 normally, I install less and groff from skunkware on boxes that don't have them (on 5.0.6 I don't install less), and set PAGER=less in /etc/default/man, and for the older boxes I add /usr/local/man to MANPATH as soon as I do that, I can use man to see man pages in less, and I can install new man pages from self-compiled programs and skunkware, and when I "man wizbang" groff is ...

  1. #1

    Default buggy man-page rendering using groff included with 507

    I am noticing a problem with the groff included with 5.0.7 when
    rendering new man-pages that I never had before with the groff from
    skunkware on 5.0.4, 5.0.5 & 5.0.6

    normally, I install less and groff from skunkware on boxes that don't
    have them (on 5.0.6 I don't install less), and set PAGER=less in
    /etc/default/man, and for the older boxes I add /usr/local/man to
    MANPATH

    as soon as I do that, I can use man to see man pages in less, and I
    can install new man pages from self-compiled programs and skunkware,
    and when I "man wizbang" groff is used to render the source man page
    and the result looks fine.

    As I said, I have done this on many 5.0.4, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6 machines
    and it's always worked fine, including the slight difference where on
    5.0.6 I don't install the skunkware less.

    on 5.0.7:

    I dont' install groff or less since a newer version of groff comes
    built-in under /usr/gnu

    normal man pages that came with the system and some skunkware,
    anything where the .../cat.x/program.x version of the page was already
    produced somewhere else, these man-pages view fine.

    new man pages, ones that do not yet have a corresponding
    ..../cat.x/wizbang.x, come out looking like this:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/groffman507.gif

    I captured the following error:
    # man star 2>star-man.err
    # cat star-man.err
    Stand by: formatting page
    /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac:3: can't open
    `/usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an': No such file or directory

    the source man-page used in this example can be had here:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/star.1

    There is nothing special about that particular man page. so far the
    same thing happens for any man page that must be rendered on the fly.
    If I take a page that looks fine, and just go delete the
    ..../cat.x/program.x and view the page again, the page looks like the
    above example forever after.

    looking at another system that doesn't have this problem, the groff
    component paths look completely different. On that system (5.0.6 with
    groff 1.15 from skunkware) there is no /usr/lib/tmac either, and the
    groff tree is in /usr/local/share/groff and there is a tmac in there
    and a tmac.an
    on 507 there is no /usr/local/share/groff, but there is
    /usr/gnu/lib/groff
    and
    /usr/gnu/share/groff

    I tried editing
    /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac

    so that it references:
    /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/andoc.tmac
    and I tried
    /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/an-old.tmac

    in both cases, after doing:
    rm /usr/local/man/cat.1/star.1
    man star 2>groffman.err

    the man page came out looking the same as it did the first time,
    though there were no errors generated these times.
    groffman.err just had:
    # cat groffman.err
    Stand by: formatting page

    if I change /etc/default/man to PAGER=pg then the page looks a little
    better in that at least the escape sequences characters are (seem to
    be) ignored. If I set LESS=-iSr in my environment before running man,
    then the page looks different but almost as bad just in other ways.

    from all this, I conclude that the 507 built-in groff is a little
    broken, not the act of specifying less as the pager. It appears as
    though it's trying to refer to files that are part of some native sco
    text-processing package that I don't have (nor ever had on any of the
    older boxes). What should I look at to try and fix groff?

    Brian K. White -- com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    filePro BBx Linux SCO Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD #callahans Satriani
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Brian K. White typed (on Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 01:07:32PM -0700):

    | I tried editing
    | /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac
    |
    | so that it references:
    | /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/andoc.tmac
    | and I tried
    | /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/an-old.tmac

    I see I have /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.19 here. I suspect you haven't
    installed gnutools-5.0.7Kj. Try that, and then run your tests again.

    | if I change /etc/default/man to PAGER=pg then the page looks a little
    | better in that at least the escape sequences characters are (seem to
    | be) ignored.

    Hmm. /usr/bin/more, /usr/bin/less, and /usr/bin/pg are all the same
    program on OSR 5.0.7.

    [I've not played with groff here, since I'm still running my Xenix
    binary of /usr/bin/nroff.]

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  3. #3

    Brian K. White wrote:

    This is a configuration error in OSR507 as shipped. `groff` was updated
    and the associated script /usr/man/bin/nr wasn't changed to accomodate
    the new version.

    The new version of groff outputs ANSI color sequences in its "ascii"
    output mode. To my mind this is a bug, but it's what the groff authors
    have chosen to do. Two possible workarounds:

    You can use the "-R" flag to `less`. But this will leave the escape
    sequences in your processed man pages (/usr/man/cat*/*), so anyone using
    a different pager will still have trouble.

    You can instruct groff not to output the color sequences. Edit
    /usr/man/bin/nr, change:

    NROFF="groff -man -Tascii"

    to:

    NROFF="groff -man -Tascii -P -c"

    See groff(1) regarding "-P", and grotty(1) regarding "-c", SGR, and
    GROFF_NO_SGR.

    I'm not sure what this is about -- whether it's a default groff file
    that's looking for a local file /usr/lib/tmac.tmac.an, or a
    misconfiguration we did. Either way, there are again two possible
    fixes. Make an empty file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an, or edit
    /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac, comment out or delete the ".so"
    line. nroff comments start with "..", i.e. just add an extra "." to the
    front of that line.

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    `pg` is its own program, you're thinking of /usr/bin/page.

    Bela Guest

  4. #4

    Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in message news:<jpr.com>...

    Thanks much for the tip about the available update
    but it made little difference to this

    I reverted my changes to /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac prior to
    installing the update so as to avoid having the file skipped by
    failing a checksum. after the update that file no longer exists.

    the directory /usr/gnu/share/groff/1.18.1 still exists, along with
    1.19
    do you you have the 1.18.1 directory?
    groff --version shows "GNU groff version 1.19"

    Rendering a new man page looks just like the gif I posted earlier.

  5. #5

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > This is a configuration error in OSR507 as shipped. `groff` was updated
    > and the associated script /usr/man/bin/nr wasn't changed to accomodate
    > the new version.
    >
    > The new version of groff outputs ANSI color sequences in its "ascii"
    > output mode. To my mind this is a bug, but it's what the groff authors
    > have chosen to do. Two possible workarounds:
    >
    > You can use the "-R" flag to `less`. But this will leave the escape
    > sequences in your processed man pages (/usr/man/cat*/*), so anyone using
    > a different pager will still have trouble.
    >
    > You can instruct groff not to output the color sequences. Edit
    > /usr/man/bin/nr, change:
    >
    > NROFF="groff -man -Tascii"
    >
    > to:
    >
    > NROFF="groff -man -Tascii -P -c"[/ref]

    Splendid. You continually amaze Bela :) Is there any squirrel hole
    anywhere in the whole system that you don't know inside & out?

    That cleared it right up. The processed man page now has only
    backspace-overstrike and backspace-underscore, which less nicely
    renders into extra-bright and underline and should display fine
    everywhere.

    Thanks.

    > I'm not sure what this is about -- whether it's a default groff file
    > that's looking for a local file /usr/lib/tmac.tmac.an, or a
    > misconfiguration we did. Either way, there are again two possible
    > fixes. Make an empty file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an, or edit
    > /usr/gnu/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac, comment out or delete the ".so"
    > line. nroff comments start with "..", i.e. just add an extra "." to the
    > front of that line.[/ref]

    As I mentioned in another post which hasen't shown up yet, this
    business is gone after installing gnutools-5.0.7Kj

  6. #6

    Brian K. White wrote:

    Brian>>> I am noticing a problem with the groff included with 5.0.7 when
    Brian>>> rendering new man-pages that I never had before with the groff from
    Brian>>> skunkware on 5.0.4, 5.0.5 & 5.0.6

    Bela>> This is a configuration error in OSR507 as shipped. `groff` was updated
    Bela>> and the associated script /usr/man/bin/nr wasn't changed to accomodate
    Bela>> the new version.

    Bela>> /usr/man/bin/nr, change:
    Bela>>
    Bela>> NROFF="groff -man -Tascii"
    Bela>>
    Bela>> to:
    Bela>>
    Bela>> NROFF="groff -man -Tascii -P -c"

    Brian> Splendid. You continually amaze Bela :) Is there any squirrel hole
    Brian> anywhere in the whole system that you don't know inside & out?

    If you enumerated every dark little corner in the system, I've probably
    only visited 25% of them. You misunderstand my process: the solution I
    posted to this problem wasn't because I already knew the solution, it
    was because I figured it out when you demonstrated the problem. Before
    this afternoon, I had never read the groff(1) or grotty(1) man pages. I
    _had_ been to /usr/man/bin/nr before (in fact I wrote the parts that
    attempt to transparently deal with the potential presence of either
    nroff or groff). I also didn't realize that `less` had that "-R" flag;
    learned that from grotty(1) followed by less(C).

    I follow a modified version of the Jeff Liebermann "learn by destroying"
    philosophy -- I'm careful (and sneaky) enough to usually avoid the
    "destroying" part... ;-}

    Bela Guest

  7. #7

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    Update and FYI concerning 5.0.6:
    I removed my skunkware groff and several other things from a 5.0.6 box
    and installed gwxlibs and gnutools

    I expected the man-page issue to suddenly appear on this box after
    doing this and it did.

    I edited the 5.0.6 /usr/man/bin/nr as per above, and it do NOT fix the
    problem this time. However, copying the edited nr from the 5.0.7 box
    did. (the two are very different as of course you know) so hopefully a
    "legal" way to get the corrected nr onto older boxes will be provided
    in some update. When I post instructions or suggested actions on a web
    site or newsgroup post or other "public" place, I don't like to
    actually tell people to do something that is technically not legal,
    however trivial. That is why I went to such legths before oss646 came
    along, to write a script that actually extracts a needed 5.0.5 library
    from rs505a to replace one on 5.0.4 systems instead of just telling
    people to copy it from a 5.0.5 or greater system.

    General fyi to anyone considering installing gnutools to replace the
    hodge-podge of skunkware and self-compiled utilities you have now:

    It's probably an overwhelmingly "good thing", but just be advised that
    not everything is quite painless.

    there is the silly little groff/man issue above, but I have run across
    a few other little thingies too, some caused major problems although
    they were easy to fix quickly, and in fact, the example I'm about to
    give didn't actually bite me because I was wary and checked things out
    before and after and spotted the potential problem before it mattered.

    among the things I already had on my box, which I un-installed because
    I knw that gnutool included it, was bzip2.

    aside from the old skunkware version, I have a more recent version
    myself where I basically made a tar that includes everything that
    "make install" installs. That seems like a basically sane approach for
    any binary distribution, deviating from there only by adding
    (including more docs, inclding convenient symlinks to make it easier
    to choose the gnu util vs the stock one like date->gdate etc...,
    including a config file taylored to the target platform etc...), and
    by putting the bins in a different bin directory to seperate them from
    the OS (/usr/local/bin, /usr/gnu/bin etc...)

    after uninstalling my bzip2 and installing gnutools, I had no bzcat or
    bunzip2 (nor the other things that "make install" installs though I
    don't happen to ever use them, ie: bzless, bzgrep, bzdiff, etc...)
    I happen to make heavy use of bunzip2 and bzcat in various nightly
    backup/archive/purge scripts that are important, and as I said, I
    didn't get burned this time because I was looking for problems.

    That's basically the kind of thing you want to look out for and expect
    and be prepared to fix manually.
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    Brian K. White wrote:

    Bela>>>> /usr/man/bin/nr, change:
    Bela>>>>
    Bela>>>> NROFF="groff -man -Tascii"
    Bela>>>>
    Bela>>>> to:
    Bela>>>>
    Bela>>>> NROFF="groff -man -Tascii -P -c"

    Brian> Update and FYI concerning 5.0.6:
    Brian> I removed my skunkware groff and several other things from a 5.0.6 box
    Brian> and installed gwxlibs and gnutools
    Brian>
    Brian> I expected the man-page issue to suddenly appear on this box after
    Brian> doing this and it did.
    Brian>
    Brian> I edited the 5.0.6 /usr/man/bin/nr as per above, and it do NOT fix the
    Brian> problem this time. However, copying the edited nr from the 5.0.7 box
    Brian> did. (the two are very different as of course you know) so hopefully a
    Brian> "legal" way to get the corrected nr onto older boxes will be provided
    Brian> in some update. When I post instructions or suggested actions on a web
    Brian> site or newsgroup post or other "public" place, I don't like to
    Brian> actually tell people to do something that is technically not legal,
    Brian> however trivial. That is why I went to such legths before oss646 came
    Brian> along, to write a script that actually extracts a needed 5.0.5 library
    Brian> from rs505a to replace one on 5.0.4 systems instead of just telling
    Brian> people to copy it from a 5.0.5 or greater system.

    Well, the OSR506 version of /usr/man/bin/nr mysteriously thinks that the
    GNU nroff binary is called "gnroff" rather than "groff". groff does
    include a binary (actually a shell script) called "nroff", so the 506
    script ends up down the branch where it thinks it's dealing with old SCO
    nroff, including the statement:

    NROFF=nroff

    That branch actually works fairly well. But the groff `nroff` script
    doesn't support the flags I used, "-P -c". It _does_ support just plain
    "-c". If you reinstate the OSR506 /usr/man/bin/nr, replacing the one
    line with:

    NROFF="nroff -c"

    it should work beautifully.

    Brian> General fyi to anyone considering installing gnutools to replace the
    Brian> hodge-podge of skunkware and self-compiled utilities you have now:
    Brian>
    Brian> It's probably an overwhelmingly "good thing", but just be advised that
    Brian> not everything is quite painless.
    Brian>
    Brian> there is the silly little groff/man issue above, but I have run across
    Brian> a few other little thingies too, some caused major problems although
    Brian> they were easy to fix quickly, and in fact, the example I'm about to
    Brian> give didn't actually bite me because I was wary and checked things out
    Brian> before and after and spotted the potential problem before it mattered.
    Brian>
    Brian> among the things I already had on my box, which I un-installed because
    Brian> I knw that gnutool included it, was bzip2.
    Brian>
    Brian> aside from the old skunkware version, I have a more recent version
    Brian> myself where I basically made a tar that includes everything that
    Brian> "make install" installs. That seems like a basically sane approach for
    Brian> any binary distribution, deviating from there only by adding
    Brian> (including more docs, inclding convenient symlinks to make it easier
    Brian> to choose the gnu util vs the stock one like date->gdate etc...,
    Brian> including a config file taylored to the target platform etc...), and
    Brian> by putting the bins in a different bin directory to seperate them from
    Brian> the OS (/usr/local/bin, /usr/gnu/bin etc...)
    Brian>
    Brian> after uninstalling my bzip2 and installing gnutools, I had no bzcat or
    Brian> bunzip2 (nor the other things that "make install" installs though I
    Brian> don't happen to ever use them, ie: bzless, bzgrep, bzdiff, etc...)
    Brian> I happen to make heavy use of bunzip2 and bzcat in various nightly
    Brian> backup/archive/purge scripts that are important, and as I said, I
    Brian> didn't get burned this time because I was looking for problems.

    That's a bit odd -- gnutools should definitely have made the bunzip2,
    bzcat links. gnutools, as a package, has gone through multiple releases
    and names. Would you please point me to the exact URL you got the one
    that you installed from?

    Bela Guest

  9. #9

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    yep. beutious.
    I feel like such a dolt. I could have looked just a teeny bit harder
    at that. :)

    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/opensrc/gwxlibs-1.3.1Ba/VOL.*
    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/opensrc/gnutools-5.0.7Kj/VOL.*

    (verified that custom shows 1.3.1Ba and 5.0.7Kj)

    It looks like bzip2 actually came from gwxlibs, and there are some
    other bzip2 programs in there, like bzip2recover, just not everything.
    Brian Guest