Professional Web Applications Themes

Build Booklet program just gives blank pages!! - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have used ID2 for a few years and have never had a problem with using the 'Build Booklet' facility to create a 2-up saddle stitch version of the doent currently displayed in the ID2 window. Basically, I'm imposing my portrait A5 originals on to landscape A4, which will be folded to create a booklet. However, Build Booklet is no longer working. The program appears to run but the end result is a totally blank doent! Can anyone assist in fixing this problem? The only potentially relevant event since I last used Build Booklet uccessfully, has been the installation of ...

Sponsored Links

Default Build Booklet program just gives blank pages!!

I have used ID2 for a few years and have never had a problem with using the 'Build Booklet' facility to create a 2-up saddle stitch version of the doent currently displayed in the ID2 window. Basically, I'm imposing my portrait A5 originals on to landscape A4, which will be folded to create a booklet.

However, Build Booklet is no longer working. The program appears to run but the end result is a totally blank doent! Can anyone assist in fixing this problem?

The only potentially relevant event since I last used Build Booklet uccessfully, has been the installation of the trial version of ID CS2. After this installation, I got an error message (something about a missing colour related file, I think) when opening ID2. I reinstalled ID2 (v2.0.2) and this problem went away, but my Build Booklet problem remains.
    Sponsored Links
    David_C_Anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Build Booklet program just gives blank pages!!

Just exactly how were you building booklets in ID 2.0?

Bob
    Bob Guest

I created a 24 page doent in ID2. Each page is portrait A5. While it was the current doent in the ID2 window, I then switched to Windows Explorer, where I located the Build Booklet folder and ran the program called BuildBooklet.exe. I then chose '2-up saddle stitch' as the layout, 'Print' as the PDF export style and then pressed the Build Booklet button. I would then wait for the popup message telling me that 'Build Booklet is done'.

The imposed 12 page landscape A4 booklet doent would then open up in a new window within ID2.

I am completely unfamiliar with that. It sounds like some type of script.

Bob
    Bob Guest

Bob, I've no idea what lies under the covers of Build Booklet.

Do you use a different tool to impose booklets for straightforward laser printing (as distinct from getting a professional printing company to do the job)?

ID CS2 include InBookletSE...a very nice plug in from www.alap.com.

Bob
    Bob Guest

What did you use with ID2?

The full version of InBooklet, which I started using with ID 1.5.

Bob
    Bob Guest

What for you are the primary benefits of InBooklet? The Build Booklet tool (when it worked) provided a basic solution - and it was free. Why might I be persuaded to part with $100 for InBooklet?

I'm not trying to persuade you to do anything. I'm merely pointing out
    that I've never heard of the tool you're using and apparently nobody
    else has either.

Besides, if you're going to part with $100.00, you might just as well
    buy the CS2 upgrades...which I would recommend anyway.

Bob
    Bob Guest

Bob, you misunderstand. I know you weren't trying to push InBooklet at me. I was just interested to know why YOU were persuaded to buy it. I haven't heard of InBooklet before and thought perhaps it might be useful to me.

Obviously, if(when) I upgrade to IDCS2 I will get InBookletSE so I am really asking about what you think are the key differences between that and the full edition. Incidentally, I have just used InBookletSE via my trial IDCS2 copy and I get a problem on my HP LaserJet with text that has a drop shadow. There is a pale grey background within the bounding box of this text. When I print the source IDCS2 doc directly to my LaserJet the text background is clear. Grrrrr. Why do computers never do what they're told!

As regards Build Booklet, there are several previous threads on this topic in the InDesign forum so it's not quite true that nobody else has heard of it. However, I really can't remember how I got this tool.

The thing that persuaded me to buy it was the fact that there was
    nothing else and my employer was picking up the tab.

Bob
    Bob Guest

Sadly, I'm paying my own software bills.

On reflection, I am pretty certain that I downloaded Build Booklet from the Adobe website after purchasing ID2 and I think it may well be the same tool previously used by Pagemaker. Whatever the history, it did a perfectly good job (until today) and cost zilch.

Any ideas why InBookletSE is messing up my drop shadow text?

I just found this Adobe link for the Build Booklet script. It was issued in 2000 for ID 1.5. I knew I wasn't imagining it! It certainly worked with the early ID2 versions. Perhaps it has a problem with the ID2.0.2 update.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?hexID=85f2>

The Build Booklet script that came with 1.5/2.0 exported a PDF and then imposed the pages of the PDF into a new InDesign doent; as I recall, if you set everything up correctly, it would work, but nobody seemed very happy with it.

There was a script called Two-Up or TwoUp or something like that available from the Adobe Studio Exchange. If memory serves, there was a similarly named script for CS, too, so be sure to get the ID 2 version.

Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

Dave, thanks for that suggestion. I found the TwoUp script and at first it looked good - until I realised that it was getting each individual A4 side correct (the correct portrait A5 pages were being placed on a given side of landscape A4) but was not putting the A4 pages in the correct order.

For example, when imposing my 24 page A5 booklet the first A4 page should contain original A5 pages 24 & 1 on one side and 2 & 23 on the other. What I actually got was 2 & 23 with 22 & 3.

So near and yet so far ........

I suppose I could manually rearrange the pages, but a working script would be better!

I'm having trouble with InBooklet SE in ID CS2 - Saddle stitch, 52 pages, works fine until I add a value to creep. (I'm wanting to put a -ve creep value so that when trimmed the inner pages have a similar margin on outside of sheets.) When I put a value in 'creep' it looks like it is working but the indicator only goes part way until it starts to import pages and then stops.
    Any suggestions?
    Bev
    Bev_J@adobeforums.com Guest

I've solved my problem with the TwoUp script from the Adobe Studio Exchange. The messed up pagination was caused by me having a blank front and back page in the original A5 doc (because this outside cover was to be printed in colour on a different printer).

One of the default print dialogue box settings in ID2 is NOT to print blank pages. As soon as I ticked the 'Print blank pages' checkbox all was well.

Thanks again to Dave Saunders for pointing me towards Adobe Studio Exchange. I wasn't aware of that resource and TwoUp is certainly much better than the old Build Booklet script.

Great discussion guys/gals. I can't seem to find the Inbooklet SE plug-in...What directory is it located in?

Thanks
    DavidHumes@adobeforums.com Guest

What version of ID do you have? With CS2 it's installed by default. With
    CS you need the Pagemaker plugins.

Bob
    Bob Guest