Professional Web Applications Themes

Building a php optin mailing list - PHP Development

Hello, Can someone recomend me a good book or website about building an optin mailinglist? I want a mailinglist that verifies by mail if the given mailacount exists, by sending a confirmation mail to that adres. The user has to click the mail to agree to the mailinglist. thx, Johan...

  1. #1

    Default Building a php optin mailing list

    Hello,

    Can someone recomend me a good book or website about building an optin
    mailinglist?

    I want a mailinglist that verifies by mail if the given mailacount exists,
    by sending a confirmation mail to that adres. The user has to click the mail
    to agree to the mailinglist.

    thx,

    Johan

    Johan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Building a php optin mailing list

    Johan wrote:
    Why not just holding all your emails in a table with an "id" and an attribute "activationkey".
    This way you can hold an activation key for each email. You could create one for each
    email by for example doing this:

    $activationkey=md5($email.time());

    And if you send an email you send a link with the activationkey+id that points to a script
    that retrieves this activationkey and the id and checks it.

    Regards
    Stefan
    Stefan Guest

  3. #3

    I am not much experienced with php yet, so i need some good example. Was
    hoping
    there was some book or website where it's all explained.

    Thx.

    "Stefan Rybacki" <net> schreef in bericht
    > Why not just holding all your emails in a table with an "id" and an
    > attribute "activationkey".
    > This way you can hold an activation key for each email. You could create
    > one for each email by for example doing this:
    >
    > $activationkey=md5($email.time());
    >
    > And if you send an email you send a link with the activationkey+id that
    > points to a script that retrieves this activationkey and the id and checks
    > it.
    >
    > Regards
    > Stefan[/ref]

    Johan Guest

  4. #4

    Johan wrote:

    Where do you get those emails from? I mean where do you're storing them and loading it from?

    Stefan
    Stefan Guest

  5. #5

    I am using a mysql db

    > Where do you get those emails from? I mean where do you're storing them
    > and loading it from?
    >
    > Stefan[/ref]

    Johan Guest

  6. #6

    Johan wrote:

    So what about this:

    emails are stored in a database.
    say the table holding the emails contains the following columns:

    id, email, activationkey, sent, activated, senttime

    in your php script that sends activation emails (e.g. sendactivationmails) you just get
    all emails that are not already sent and those that are sent but not activated after a while.
    Now you send your activation emails to each retrieved email with an activation key (you
    create before sending e.g. by calling $key=md5(time().$email.random data); and the id
    attached to a link like this:

    http://www.foobar.com/activateemail.php?id=$id&key=$key

    after successfully sending the email you update the activationkey and the senttime in your
    database.

    the second script e.g. activateemail.php retrieves an id and a key, which you check in
    your database and if they match you set the activated attribute.

    Any questions?

    Regards
    Stefan

    Stefan Guest