Professional Web Applications Themes

Building Controls advice - ASP.NET Building Controls

I'm after a book that is the "must have" book on developing composite server controls. One person recommended the following book: Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components (Paperback) by Nikhil/Datye, V. Kothari (Author), Nikhil Kothari (Author), Vandana Datye (Author) But this appears to be ASP.NET 1.x and I'm really after a 2.0 reference. Any suggestions most appreciated. Thanks in advance Griff...

  1. #1

    Default Building Controls advice

    I'm after a book that is the "must have" book on developing composite server
    controls.

    One person recommended the following book:

    Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components (Paperback)
    by Nikhil/Datye, V. Kothari (Author), Nikhil Kothari (Author),
    Vandana Datye (Author)

    But this appears to be ASP.NET 1.x and I'm really after a 2.0 reference.

    Any suggestions most appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Griff

    Griff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Building Controls advice

    Theres always "Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Server Control and Component
    Development " from Wrox. The book is WAY too big for anyone to
    actually hold (it'll rip in half), but it is 2.0. I don't know how
    good it is though... books with people on the cover always creep me
    out a bit.

    Griff wrote:
    > I'm after a book that is the "must have" book on developing composite server
    > controls.
    >
    > One person recommended the following book:
    >
    > Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components (Paperback)
    > by Nikhil/Datye, V. Kothari (Author), Nikhil Kothari (Author),
    > Vandana Datye (Author)
    >
    > But this appears to be ASP.NET 1.x and I'm really after a 2.0 reference.
    >
    > Any suggestions most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Griff
    q Guest

  3. #3

    This may be the book you want...

    [url]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780735621770&itm=2[/url]

    I purchased that book recently because it is written by Dino Esposito
    who is one of my favorite writers for ASP.NET. You will find he also
    has great content on MSDN.

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/ASPNETContDev.asp#aspnetcontdev_topic5[/url]

    I have learned a lot from his books. As a result, I learned to do
    Design-Time debugging to help me develop those server controls. I
    wrote a tutorial on that here.

    [url]http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/2006/08/30/design-time-debugging-aspnet-20-in-visual-studio-2005/[/url]

    Brennan Stehling
    [url]http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/[/url]

    Griff wrote:
    > I'm after a book that is the "must have" book on developing composite server
    > controls.
    >
    > One person recommended the following book:
    >
    > Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components (Paperback)
    > by Nikhil/Datye, V. Kothari (Author), Nikhil Kothari (Author),
    > Vandana Datye (Author)
    >
    > But this appears to be ASP.NET 1.x and I'm really after a 2.0 reference.
    >
    > Any suggestions most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Griff
    Brennan Stehling Guest

  4. #4

    This is one of the huge voids in DotNet.. even though controls are at the heart of development.

    Writers like Esposito and Kothari are extremely hard to follow because of their writing style which tends to drift to and fro during
    an explanantion of a given topic.

    Most other books only delve into introductory level topics which are just as easily gleaned off the internet...

    Jon Paal Guest

  5. #5

    Get Khotari's book even though it's 1.1. It's by far the best and does
    a great job in teaching you about the principles of custom control
    development. If you understand that book then the features in 2.0 will
    be easy- nothing is radically different. Some new page events, a
    CompositeControl class, etc., but the underlying architecture is the
    same. You simply won't find a better book!

    Michael Hamrah

    On Oct 9, 11:23 am, "Griff" <howl...the.moon> wrote:
    > I'm after a book that is the "must have" book on developing composite server
    > controls.
    >
    > One person recommended the following book:
    >
    > Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components (Paperback)
    > by Nikhil/Datye, V. Kothari (Author), Nikhil Kothari (Author),
    > Vandana Datye (Author)
    >
    > But this appears to be ASP.NET 1.x and I'm really after a 2.0 reference.
    >
    > Any suggestions most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Griff
    Michael Hamrah Guest

  6. #6

    That's certainly is a big thumbs up for this book.

    One worry is that I'm particularly interested in the CompositeControl...

    I've found two examples on MSDN:
    [url]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379565.aspx[/url]
    [url]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479016.aspx[/url])

    Both of which appear to take significantly different approaches...

    Griff

    Griff Guest

  7. #7

    Hey Griff,
    There's a lot new in ASP.NET 2.0, but when it comes to Composite
    Controls I'd say it's not so much "new" but "enhanced". The
    CompositeControl and CompisiteDataBoundControl are good examples- these
    just wrap up a set of existing functionality you'd have to write
    manually in 1.1. The biggest different is that you get out of the box
    design time functionality with the CompositeControl class, which is
    something that was a pain in 1.1.

    Khotari's book will give you a great understanding of the Page Life
    Cycle, the Loading PostBack Data, handling PostBack Events, and
    creating the control tree for composite controls. All of these three
    things have changed little in 2.0- (there are more events in the page
    life cycle).

    The two articles you sent really take the same approach, which is
    implementing CreateChildControls() method to build the control tree.
    Espisito's article talks about databound composite controls and
    handling postbacks- this is covered in Khotari's book with essentially
    the same approach (minus the v2 help you automatically get with
    CompositeDataBoundControl). Using the Render() method is faster but
    provides your end user with a burden of not leveraging existing ASP.NET
    controls for development (like the textbox, linkbutton, etc.). In the
    long term you could end up writing a lot of ad-hoc html in the render
    method and box yourself into a maintanence nightmare with property and
    if statement sprawl.

    Either way, my point is Khotari's book will give you a great
    understanding of how ASP.NET works. With it you'll be able to
    understand what's going on in 2.0 a lot better (like those articles).
    I've only glanced at 2.0 books and nothing's really jumped out as more
    informative, and I haven't had to relearn anything for 2.0 that I
    learned in 1.1. Don't think somethings better because it has a new
    coat of paint!

    Michael Hamrah

    Griff wrote:
    > That's certainly is a big thumbs up for this book.
    >
    > One worry is that I'm particularly interested in the CompositeControl...
    >
    > I've found two examples on MSDN:
    > [url]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379565.aspx[/url]
    > [url]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479016.aspx[/url])
    >
    > Both of which appear to take significantly different approaches...
    >
    > Griff
    Michael Hamrah Guest