Professional Web Applications Themes

BULK INSERT exercises from exam 70-229 training kit don't work - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Bulk insert itself is working. But if it was your first time encountering example not working of simply the wrong answer in one of those self-testing or self-preparation kits - you will see them a lot more. When I used some of those books even from Microsoft certified sources I was amaized how unaccurate or wrong they can be. Do not be discouraged, try to get best from them you can. Good luck. >-----Original Message----- >Here's a typical example, from page 238 of Self-Paced Training Kit: >MCAD/MCSE/MCDBA Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database Design and >Implementation, Exam 70-229, Second Edition (Microsoft ...

  1. #1

    Default BULK INSERT exercises from exam 70-229 training kit don't work

    Bulk insert itself is working.
    But if it was your first time encountering example not
    working of simply the wrong answer in one of those
    self-testing or self-preparation kits - you will see them a
    lot more.

    When I used some of those books even from Microsoft
    certified sources I was amaized how unaccurate or wrong
    they can be.
    Do not be discouraged, try to get best from them you can.

    Good luck.

    following
    >Transact-SQL code:
    >>
    >> USE BookShopDB
    >> BULK INSERT Positions
    >> FROM 'c:\positions.txt'
    >> WITH (DATAFILETYPE = 'CHAR')
    >
    >None of the BULK INSERT exercises in the book work. They
    all result in the
    >following error:
    >
    >> Server: Msg 7302, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    >> Could not create an instance of OLE DB provider
    'BULKIMPORTSTREAM'.
    >> OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: CoCreate of
    DSO for
    >BULKIMPORTSTREAM returned 0x80040154].
    >
    >The BCP exercises all work fine, but BULK INSERTs do not.
    Has anyone got a
    >fix for this problem?
    >
    >Is BULK INSERT going to be on the exam, if the BULK INSERT
    command itself
    >doesn't work? I am using the trial version of SQL Server
    2000 that came with
    >the book, and SP3.
    >

    >Tim
    >

    >.

    gene Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Tim,

    I don't see any problem on the bulk insert sql statement, there may be some
    error as Gene said; however, one thing I can recommend is to register
    impprov.dll file, the file usually resides at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
    Server\80\COM\impprov.dll. You can use the REGSVR32 program to do this from
    an MS/DOS command prompt. CD to the directory and then type: REGSVR32
    IMPPROV.DLL

    Hope it helps.

    Sincerely,

    Alick Ye, MCSD
    Product Support Services
    Microsoft Corporation
    Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

    "Tim Fisher" <someonemicrosoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's a typical example, from page 238 of Self-Paced Training Kit:
    > MCAD/MCSE/MCDBA Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database Design and
    > Implementation, Exam 70-229, Second Edition (Microsoft Press).
    >
    > > 1. In the Editor pane of the Query window, enter the following
    > Transact-SQL code:
    > >
    > > USE BookShopDB
    > > BULK INSERT Positions
    > > FROM 'c:\positions.txt'
    > > WITH (DATAFILETYPE = 'CHAR')
    >
    > None of the BULK INSERT exercises in the book work. They all result in the
    > following error:
    >
    > > Server: Msg 7302, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    > > Could not create an instance of OLE DB provider 'BULKIMPORTSTREAM'.
    > > OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: CoCreate of DSO for
    > BULKIMPORTSTREAM returned 0x80040154].
    >
    > The BCP exercises all work fine, but BULK INSERTs do not. Has anyone got a
    > fix for this problem?
    >
    > Is BULK INSERT going to be on the exam, if the BULK INSERT command itself
    > doesn't work? I am using the trial version of SQL Server 2000 that came
    with
    > the book, and SP3.
    >

    > Tim

    Alick [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Well that helped fixed the problem. There was no impprov.dll anywhere on my
    hard drive, but I did find it on the SQL Server 2000 CDROM so I copied it to
    the location you suggested, and registered it. After that, BULK INSERT now
    works. Thanks!

    Tim

    Tim Fisher Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Tim,

    Glad to hear that it works :- )

    Sincerely,

    Alick Ye, MCSD
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Tim Fisher" <com>
    |
    | Well that helped fixed the problem. There was no impprov.dll anywhere on
    my
    | hard drive, but I did find it on the SQL Server 2000 CDROM so I copied it
    | the location you suggested, and registered it. After that, BULK INSERT now
    | works. Thanks!
    |
    | Tim
    |

    | "Alick [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi Tim,
    | >
    | > I don't see any problem on the bulk insert sql statement, there may be
    | some
    | > error as Gene said; however, one thing I can recommend is to register
    | > impprov.dll file, the file usually resides at C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    | SQL
    | > Server\80\COM\impprov.dll. You can use the REGSVR32 program to do this
    | from
    | > an MS/DOS command prompt. CD to the directory and then type: REGSVR32
    | > IMPPROV.DLL
    | >
    | > Hope it helps.
    | >

    | > Sincerely,
    | >
    | > Alick Ye, MCSD
    | > Product Support Services
    | > Microsoft Corporation
    | > Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

    | rights.
    | >

    | > "Tim Fisher" <com> wrote in message
    | > > Here's a typical example, from page 238 of Self-Paced Training Kit:
    | > > MCAD/MCSE/MCDBA Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database Design and
    | > > Implementation, Exam 70-229, Second Edition (Microsoft Press).

    | > > Transact-SQL code:

    | > > None of the BULK INSERT exercises in the book work. They all result in
    | the
    | > > following error:

    | > > BULKIMPORTSTREAM returned 0x80040154].
    | > >
    | > > The BCP exercises all work fine, but BULK INSERTs do not. Has anyone
    got
    | > > fix for this problem?
    | > >
    | > > Is BULK INSERT going to be on the exam, if the BULK INSERT command
    | itself
    | > > doesn't work? I am using the trial version of SQL Server 2000 that
    came
    | > with
    | > > the book, and SP3.
    | > >

    | > > Tim