Professional Web Applications Themes

bulk loading - Photography

Pete McCutchen wrote: > So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although > film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about > buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and > how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of > bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc? I used to do it. Don't remember the brand of the loader, but it was the one with a light trap rather than felt lips (nothing rubs the emulsion while winding). It worked well enough, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: bulk loading

    Pete McCutchen wrote:
    > So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although
    > film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about
    > buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and
    > how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of
    > bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc?
    I used to do it. Don't remember the brand of the loader, but it was the one
    with a light trap rather than felt lips (nothing rubs the emulsion while
    winding).

    It worked well enough, but I finally realized the savings weren't worth the
    time spent. And that was when you could get used film cassettes free (yes,
    there really was a time when the ends weren't crimped on, and you didn't
    need a church key to open them).

    YMMV.

    --
    John Miller

    Soap and education are not as sudden as a massacre, but they are more
    deadly in the long run.
    -Mark Twain

    John Miller Guest

  2. #2

    Pete McCutchen <p.mccutchenworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    :
    : So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although
    : film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about
    : buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and
    : how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of
    : bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc?

    I don't use 35mm much anymore so it's been awhile but I found that bulk
    There is also the advantage of being able to load as much film as you need
    or want or need. This is a significant advantage when using B&W and the
    zone system.

    My favorite loader is one that I got from Adorama. It's the one that they
    sell under their name.

    -------------------
    [email]fwpdeepthought.com[/email]
    Frank Pittel Guest

  3. #3

    That particular loader is available under several "house" names. I've
    never owned one, but they seem to work well. I've used Lloyds and Watsons -
    both work, and both have faults.

    --
    [url]http://www.chapelhillnoir.com[/url]
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Frank Pittel" <fwpwarlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message
    > Pete McCutchen <p.mccutchenworldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > :
    > : So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although
    > : film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about
    > : buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and
    > : how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of
    > : bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc?
    >
    > I don't use 35mm much anymore so it's been awhile but I found that bulk
    > There is also the advantage of being able to load as much film as you need
    > or want or need. This is a significant advantage when using B&W and the
    > zone system.
    >
    > My favorite loader is one that I got from Adorama. It's the one that they
    > sell under their name.
    > --
    >

    > Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
    > -------------------
    > [email]fwpdeepthought.com[/email]

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  4. #4

    "Colyn" <colyngswbell.net> wrote in message
    > Don't use the plastic cassettes because they can open very easy. Use
    > the metal versions which use snap-on end caps..
    I find the opposite. The plastic caps stay on pretty well. The metal ones
    can pop off if you drop the film and it impacts the ground the wrong way, or
    if you sit on the film (don't put film in back pockets :) ).

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest

  5. #5

    As do I. I find the plastic cassettes give me about 6-10 loads before they
    start to fall apart while the metal ones are good for no more than 3 loads
    evr, and are always a risk of falling apart. I do use the Hama cassettes
    only - they are made in Spain. I never get the Chinese made cassettes as
    they are very poorly made and don't fit together correctly.

    --
    "Jim MacKenzie" <jimdusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote in message

    > "Colyn" <colyngswbell.net> wrote in message
    > > Don't use the plastic cassettes because they can open very easy. Use
    > > the metal versions which use snap-on end caps..
    >
    > I find the opposite. The plastic caps stay on pretty well. The metal
    ones
    > can pop off if you drop the film and it impacts the ground the wrong way,
    or
    > if you sit on the film (don't put film in back pockets :) ).
    >
    > Jim

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:39:01 -0600, "Jim MacKenzie"
    <jimdusykbarlow.sk.ca> wrote:

    >You can buy DX-coded bulk cartridges or blank, uncoded cartridges. Porter's
    >Camera Store in Iowa has labels that you can use to DX-code blank
    >cartridges. So does Jessops in the UK. You can reuse the cartridges many
    >times. There are two types: plastic (which have higher drag but are easier
    >to use), and metal (which have less drag but are finickier). I prefer the
    >plastic - slightly - but you can't get them pre-DX-coded. Labels solve that
    >problem. Try both and make up your own mind.
    The lack of DX coding won't bother me, since I tend not to shoot B&W
    film at its rated speed, anyhow. I suppose I could simply label 400
    T-Max at 320, but I've gotten in the habit of setting it anyhow.

    Thanks to you and all who responded my question.
    --

    Pete McCutchen
    Pete McCutchen Guest

  7. #7

    In article <8yBQa.231462$nr.9371532twister.southeast.rr.com> ,
    "Tony Spadaro" <tspadaroncmaps.rr.com> writes:
    > As do I. I find the plastic cassettes give me about 6-10 loads before they
    > start to fall apart while the metal ones are good for no more than 3 loads
    > evr, and are always a risk of falling apart. I do use the Hama cassettes
    > only - they are made in Spain. I never get the Chinese made cassettes as
    > they are very poorly made and don't fit together correctly.
    I put tape around the ends. I did that after having the end fall of
    a cassette. Luckily I quickly wrapped my hand round it and then put it
    in a shoe and hid it in the darkest part of my car boot. I managed to
    rescue half the film.

    --
    [email]petepetezilla.co.uk[/email]
    [url]http://www.petezilla.co.uk[/url]

    Peter Chant Guest

  8. #8

    > Everytime I used a plastic cassettes, at least 2 fall apart on me and
    > ruin the film..
    Curious. I've had two metal ones come apart over the years (one was
    actually not bulk film; it was Ilford HP5, back in the days when the
    cartridges were reusable). I've never had a plastic one fail. I also tend
    to notice more light leaks in metal cartridges, although not all of them
    leak. You can see the leakage as fogging on the edge of the perforations,
    and on the odd roll it comes dangerously close to impinging upon the image
    area. I have gotten into the habit of being more diligent about being
    shaded when I change film as a result.

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest

  9. #9

    Jim MacKenzie wrote:

    > "Pete McCutchen" <p.mccutchenworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although
    >> film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about
    >> buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and
    >> how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of
    >> bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc?
    >
    > I do it all the time. It saves me a lot of money on black and white film.
    > The savings on slide and colour negative film aren't as obvious, so I buy
    > that film by the roll.
    >
    > There are three common types of loaders: Alden (of which I know nothing),
    > Lloyds (which wastes less film at the end - you expose a little to light
    > as you tape it to the film spool - but has a felt light trap for the film,
    > which exposes it to more risk of scratches), and Watson (which wastes more
    > film at the end but has a design that eliminates scratches). All are
    > around $20 or so US.
    <snip>

    Interesting. No one has used the Alden loader?

    I googled loaders and found a thread that discussed them. Those who had
    tried the Alden preferred it over the Lloyd and/or Watson; no preferences
    of either of the latter over the Alden.

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  10. #10

    The reason I've never used an Alden is because I've literally never even
    seen one. There are Lloyds and Watsons everywhere - I have 2 Lloyds and a
    Watson that I bought at the local thrift store over the past 10 years, ever
    since selling my last two Lloyds when I stopped spooling my own rolls. I
    know the Aldens still exist but, like Contax cameras, they manage to elude
    me. My first loader was a Watson, given to me by a friend, and the second
    was a Lloyd I bought used at the local photo club auction. In the 37
    intervening years I've mostly owned Lloyds - I had as many as five at one
    time. I have seen the generic type that Adorama and a few other places
    sell - which look pretty good to me but I never used one so I have no idea
    how well they actually work - but never once have I seen an Alden.

    --
    "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message
    > Jim MacKenzie wrote:
    >

    > > "Pete McCutchen" <p.mccutchenworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> So, I shoot mostly black and white, usually TMax 100 or 400. Although
    > >> film is, as they say, cheap, I'm even cheaper. I'm thinking about
    > >> buying a bulk loader and bulk loading my film. Anybody do this, and
    > >> how does it work out for you? If so, any recommendations on brands of
    > >> bulk loaders, reload cartridges, etc?
    > >
    > > I do it all the time. It saves me a lot of money on black and white
    film.
    > > The savings on slide and colour negative film aren't as obvious, so I
    buy
    > > that film by the roll.
    > >
    > > There are three common types of loaders: Alden (of which I know
    nothing),
    > > Lloyds (which wastes less film at the end - you expose a little to light
    > > as you tape it to the film spool - but has a felt light trap for the
    film,
    > > which exposes it to more risk of scratches), and Watson (which wastes
    more
    > > film at the end but has a design that eliminates scratches). All are
    > > around $20 or so US.
    > <snip>
    >
    > Interesting. No one has used the Alden loader?
    >
    > I googled loaders and found a thread that discussed them. Those who had
    > tried the Alden preferred it over the Lloyd and/or Watson; no preferences
    > of either of the latter over the Alden.
    >
    > Bill Tallman

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  11. #11

    William D. Tallman <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote:

    > Interesting. No one has used the Alden loader?
    >
    > I googled loaders and found a thread that discussed them. Those who had
    > tried the Alden preferred it over the Lloyd and/or Watson; no preferences
    > of either of the latter over the Alden.

    I've ended up with all three. The Alden is the best built. The Watson is
    the same loader but built more cheaply. Good enough but the Alden is over
    built. Don't drop either but the Alden might take the fall better. Other
    then build quality I can see no real difference between the two. The Lloyd
    was given to me. I wouldn't have bought it. It's just too basic. Seems made
    well enough. OTOH I've not had a chance to use the Lloyd yet. Some people
    love the Lloyd.

    Nick
    Nick Zentena Guest

  12. #12

    Tony Spadaro <tspadaroncmaps.rr.com> wrote:
    > The reason I've never used an Alden is because I've literally never even
    > seen one. There are Lloyds and Watsons everywhere - I have 2 Lloyds and a

    If you've seen the Watson you've basically seen the Alden. The Watson is a
    Chevy. The Alden would be a Cadillac. Same design different build levels.

    Nick
    Nick Zentena Guest

  13. #13

    I know from articles in magazines that they are more or less the same
    design, but it does strike me as odd that in all this time (since I started
    in 1966) that I've never run across a product that I've seen advertised
    right from the beginning. But then, few photographers you meet on the street
    or in a store are carrying their bulk loader. Bodies, and lenses, tripods
    etc. When I think about it there are probably 50 to 100 enlarger models I've
    never seen also.

    --
    "Nick Zentena" <zentenakriek.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    > Tony Spadaro <tspadaroncmaps.rr.com> wrote:
    > > The reason I've never used an Alden is because I've literally never
    even
    > > seen one. There are Lloyds and Watsons everywhere - I have 2 Lloyds and
    >

    > If you've seen the Watson you've basically seen the Alden. The Watson is
    > Chevy. The Alden would be a Cadillac. Same design different build levels.
    >
    > Nick

    Tony Spadaro Guest

  14. #14

    "Tony Spadaro" <tspadaroncmaps.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:UggRa.299776$jp.7921047twister.southeast.rr. com...
    > I know from articles in magazines that they are more or less the same
    > design, but it does strike me as odd that in all this time (since I
    started
    > in 1966) that I've never run across a product that I've seen advertised
    > right from the beginning. But then, few photographers you meet on the
    street
    > or in a store are carrying their bulk loader. Bodies, and lenses, tripods
    > etc. When I think about it there are probably 50 to 100 enlarger models
    I've
    > never seen also.
    True. But I've probably seen 20 or 30 loaders, probably more. You'd think
    one or two would be an Alden. Most have been Lloyd's. About a third of
    them have been Watsons. My local dealer has one Lloyd's and one Watson in
    stock right now, and nary an Alden.

    Jim

    Jim MacKenzie Guest