Professional Web Applications Themes

Bullets disappear when converted to outline path - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have created a tri-fold brochure using ID CS2. When I convert the text box containing bulleted text (created from the Pagemaker toolbar) to outline, the bullets disappear. I ultimately need this project converted to a PDF and subsequently sent off to a print shop. Why are my bullets disappearing??? WinXP PRO / ID CS2 / P4 3.0 / 3gb RAM...

  1. #1

    Default Bullets disappear when converted to outline path

    Dave_Kirkpatrick@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Paragraph palette. "Convert bullets to text". Then make outlines.

    But why do you need outlines anyway?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Ken thank you very much for the prompt response. The print company we use recommends converting text to outlines. I never asked why, but I assume it is for the same reason they ask that Illustrator files be converted to outline.
    Dave_Kirkpatrick@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    They probably also have a rabbit's foot over the threshhold and don't tread
    on cracks in the pavement. There is really no need to convert text to
    outlines, particularly if you use PDF as the print medium. It sounds like
    they're a few generations behind in their facilities.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Not purposely extending this thread, but I was told some time ago most print shops need text converted to outlines in case their computers do not have the same fonts installed.

    We do send alot of projects in PDF but could you tell me if the conversion to PDF automatically embeds fonts or converts the fonts into a readable format, thus dispensing the need to convert to outline? This would save us a lot of time.
    Dave_Kirkpatrick@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Normally you would embed (subsetted) fonts when exporting to PDF. It's the standard setting with all presets intended for print output. I totally agree with Ken that it's quite insane to demand all text to be converted to outline. I personally would not want to work with a printer that demanded such a thing.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Provided the font is not restricted from embedding - unusual - fonts are
    normally embedded in PDFs and there is no need for the fonts to be local to
    your printer.

    Your printer should have told you this.

    The fact that he hasn't suggests either he doesn't know, or he doesn't want
    you to know. That wouldn't fill me with confidence.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Most good service bureaux should carry Adobe Font Folio or at the very least they should be able to deal with PDFs. As well as not being necessary, converting to outlines can cause slight degradation of the quality of the text. In short, get a new printer.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks to every one of you contributing to my font education! This has been invaluable and I will certainly contact our print shop with these questions.

    Happy Holidays to all (at least in the U.S.) and peace.
    Dave_Kirkpatrick@adobeforums.com Guest