Professional Web Applications Themes

Business cards - down & "dirty" - Macromedia Fireworks

I've got to (finally) make some bizcards for my new company. I mean TODAY. (I'm a guest at a networking event early next week, and I have nada.) I should probably (and very well might) have someone who specializes in print media make a better one for me later on, but time and budget don't permit. I know FireWorks is for Web graphics. I imagine I should be using FreeHand (or Illustrator). But I know FW pretty well and FH not at all. Question: Do you have any quick tips for me? Any little tricks I should know about to ...

  1. #1

    Default Business cards - down & "dirty"

    I've got to (finally) make some bizcards for my new company. I mean
    TODAY. (I'm a guest at a networking event early next week, and I
    have nada.) I should probably (and very well might) have someone who
    specializes in print media make a better one for me later on, but
    time and budget don't permit.

    I know FireWorks is for Web graphics. I imagine I should be using
    FreeHand (or Illustrator). But I know FW pretty well and FH not at
    all.

    Question: Do you have any quick tips for me? Any little tricks I
    should know about to produce a camera-ready printout (or electronic
    file) that a printer can use to make a presentable card?

    For example: Resolution at 300dpi or 600dpi, perhaps? No
    anti-aliasing for text. Etc.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jeff Cohan
    Jeffrey Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Business cards - down & "dirty"

    Jeffrey D. Cohan wrote:

    Jeff,

    For what it's worth, I tried this with FW a while back and just couldn't
    swing it, especially printing onto biz card stock (size, alignment,
    etc.) Finally, I went out and bought a $30 biz card software program and
    can now whip out new cards in no time.

    If you do it in FW, please let us know how it turns out.

    --
    John
    John Guest

  3. #3

    On 21 Jan 2004 in macromedia.fireworks, Jeffrey D. Cohan wrote:

    Word processors tend to have ready-made templates for business cards, and
    they know about the cardstock formats you can buy for print-your-own
    cards. If you want a logo, do that in FW, then use it in WordPerfect or
    Word to create the actual cards.

    --
    Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
    http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

  4. #4

    "John T." wrote:

    Will do!
    Jeffrey Guest

  5. #5

    Hmmm...

    Why that's so crazy, it might just work!

    (Thanks; I'm tabbing over to Word2003 momentarily.)

    Jeff

    Jeffrey Guest

  6. #6

    Hey Jeff:

    I designed my business cards in FW, at 300ppi resolution, using only vector
    objects. When I felt it was ready for prime time, I brought the file into
    Photoshop, to do what Photoshop does best (and FW was never designed to do):
    set things up for printing.

    I saved the file as a TIFF, emailed it to my printer, and the cards looked
    great!

    Why didn't I just do the whole thing in Photoshop? Partly comfort. I know
    Photoshop relatively well, but I use FW EVERY day, so it was faster for me
    to create what I wanted, and then port it over.

    At the time, I knew NOTHING about Freehand, so this time around, I may go
    that route rather than Photoshop.

    HTH

    --
    | Jim Babbage - CMX
    | Newmedia Services
    | * Web Design * Photography * Training * Consulting *
    | http://www.nms123.ca | ca

    | TODCON is coming - April 2 - 4, 2004 www.todcon.org
    | Extending Knowledge, Daily
    | http://www.communityMX.com/
    | CommunityMX - Free Resources
    | http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
    | No registration required

    -

    "Jeffrey D. Cohan" <com> wrote in message

    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    I've had no problems creating biz cards with FWMX.

    The only thing I do is export into Photoshop the TIFF image of my card
    and then save in CYMK colorspace.

    Oh yeah....I also use Photoshop's "Picture package" command to make my
    little 2x2.5 biz cards....I like the little ones as they're unique and
    they print up 16 to a page on glossy heavy stock (10+ mil) photo paper.

    Good luck!!

    BR

    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks, Bill.

    Jeffrey Guest

  9. #9

    Good advice, Jim. Thanks.

    Jeffrey Guest

  10. #10

    Hi do it this way _ just to confuse

    Same use fw do do the layout save layout in tiff or png
    whip it into photshop do the cymk thing
    then whip it into freehand or illustrator for the text
    save as a psd whip it back into photshop make pdf do a printout and it has
    been working for me .

    I suffer from using fw every day so I use that as my main layout cause i get
    there faster then do the photoshop thing and then of the the printer in a
    pdf format

    ross

    "Jeffrey D. Cohan" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]

    Ross Guest

  11. #11

    That's a cool idea, Bill!

    "Bill Ray" <com> wrote in message
    news:bumr05$6lh$macromedia.com... [/ref]

    Jim Guest

  12. #12

    "Jeffrey D. Cohan" <com> wrote in message

    What's the output? How many colors and stuff?

    PS - I'd still vote for Freehand. It would be more easy and reliable to use
    FH rather than FW.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "If you're still alive, boy, you're under arrest!" - Full Throttle

    Ilya Guest

  13. #13

    Ilya Razmanov wrote:

    Paper, for camera-ready. It ended up being ONE color for this d&d
    run.

    I guess I've got to bite the bullet and learn how to use FH!

    Thanks.

    Jeff
    Jeffrey Guest