Professional Web Applications Themes

Busy Russian scammer - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Some of my sites that use PayPal have been targeted by an industrious (ahem) Russian scammer lately. He scours the net to get PayPal email addresses from PayPal carts, then fakes a request to verify info, requesting passwords, CC numbers, etc. The link goes to a fake PayPal page on a disposable account at any number of webhosts. The "paypal" appears in the link URL but the true address is disguised amidst a slew of upper and lower case letters. You may want to remind your clients (especially the naive ones) to never provide any info from such links, but ...

  1. #1

    Default Busy Russian scammer

    Some of my sites that use PayPal have been targeted by an industrious (ahem)
    Russian scammer lately. He scours the net to get PayPal email addresses from
    PayPal carts, then fakes a request to verify info, requesting passwords, CC
    numbers, etc. The link goes to a fake PayPal page on a disposable account at
    any number of webhosts. The "paypal" appears in the link URL but the true
    address is disguised amidst a slew of upper and lower case letters.

    You may want to remind your clients (especially the naive ones) to never
    provide any info from such links, but to always login to PayPal directly. If
    their accounts need updating, that's the first page that they will reach
    after login.

    If you open one of these scam emails in Oulook Express, the top of the
    window will display the Windows version of that sender, in this case,
    Cyrillic. Well, I said he was industrious, not a genius :~)

    --
    Corey Eiges
    [url]http://Navbars.net[/url]

    Frozen Carp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Busy Russian scammer

    If they put this effort into something legal, they'd be rich.
    "Frozen Carp" <coreythecheeseYouNeedaWebstore.com> wrote in message
    > Some of my sites that use PayPal have been targeted by an industrious
    (ahem)
    > Russian scammer lately. He scours the net to get PayPal email addresses
    from
    > PayPal carts, then fakes a request to verify info, requesting passwords,
    CC
    > numbers, etc. The link goes to a fake PayPal page on a disposable account
    at
    > any number of webhosts. The "paypal" appears in the link URL but the true
    > address is disguised amidst a slew of upper and lower case letters.
    >
    > You may want to remind your clients (especially the naive ones) to never
    > provide any info from such links, but to always login to PayPal directly.
    If
    > their accounts need updating, that's the first page that they will reach
    > after login.
    >
    > If you open one of these scam emails in Oulook Express, the top of the
    > window will display the Windows version of that sender, in this case,
    > Cyrillic. Well, I said he was industrious, not a genius :~)
    >
    > --
    > Corey Eiges
    > [url]http://Navbars.net[/url]
    > [email]supportthecheeseNavbars.net[/email] (cut the cheese)
    > ^^ Free Navbars & Navbar store
    > ^^ Free Registry Utilities for UltraDev & Dreamweaver
    > ^^ Password Recovery for UltraDev & Dreamweaver

    Showjumper Guest