Professional Web Applications Themes

buy camera from amazon? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've been shopping for a digital camera, and I see that for one of the ones I'm considering, amazon.com's price is right down there with the infamous Abe's of Maine's, surprisingly enough. I know about Abe's, but is there any reason not to buy a camera from amazon? I've never had trouble with anything else I've gotten from them....

  1. #1

    Default buy camera from amazon?

    I've been shopping for a digital camera, and I see that for one of the ones I'm considering, amazon.com's price is right down there with the infamous Abe's of Maine's, surprisingly enough.

    I know about Abe's, but is there any reason not to buy a camera from amazon? I've never had trouble with anything else I've gotten from them.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: buy camera from amazon?

    Barbara, at B&H Photo click on e-mail me a better price. I just did and it shows the Minolta Dimage S414 is $319.95. That's what I did when I bought mine.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  3. #3

    Ah, thanks, Barb!
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    Barbara, forgot to tell you the "E-mail me a better price" option is directly under the list price of $399 on the page for the camera. It's not a gimmick.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  5. #5

    Chuck, thanks for sharing your favorite camera dealer with us!

    :-)

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  6. #6

    It's not a gimmick.

    Yes, I believe you, but it does seem a weird way to do it. I wonder how many sales they lose because people just assume all they'll get by that is a ton of spam. Anyway, thanks again.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  7. #7

    And thanks to you, too, Chuck.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Joe Henry1000 Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    I've had excellent experience with both Amazon.com and CameraWorld.com. Somebody in a previous post complained because Amazon used the USPS. I LIKE that feature. Since we live in Alaska, we don't get ground UPS. Many merchants ONLY use UPS, so we are forced to have stuff shipped UPS 2nd Day Air - very expensive. I';ve had NO problems with shipments lost by the USPS.

    Rod
    Rod Brown Guest

  10. #10

    Barbara,

    They can't advertise a lower price directly, that's a sort of agreement between the reseller and the
    manufacturer. So, "e-mail me a better price" is the equivalent of what other resellers do, like
    "call for price". Canon is amongst the companies that imposes a minimum advertised price.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  11. #11

    Barb...another good place to buy from is Half.com...It's Ebay's "little brother" but at half.com the prices are set, no bidding, and a lot of the people selling are actual dealers. ALL sellers ar rated by the buyers and how many items they've sold are listed, so if you find a seller that has sold 5,467 items and has a 99.5% approval rating you can be sure that your transaction is "safe". Also you can pay through their paypal service and have a return/credit policy inforced. I have bought almost all of my books and a lot of supplies from them. Alkit photo from NY is a big seller on there...I found my Kodak 8500 printer from them at a very good price and service was great...you might want to check out their pricing.

    Cory
    Cory McNutt Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks, everyone!
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  13. #13

    Barb,

    One thing I forgot to mention about Amazon. Make sure you know where your camera is comming from. Amazon doesn't stock everything it sells on it's web site, relying on places like Circuit City and J & R for inventory. If you buy something that is stocked by J & R, for example, you are buying their return policy not Amazon's. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just need to know the return policy of the company you're actually buying from.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  14. #14

    Joe,

    What you said about the return policy confuses me.
    If I buy something from Amazon I get into an agreement with them, thus the return policy should be their's as well, unless it is made clear in the agreement that it is some one elses.

    By the way I buy things from Amazon.com as well and they haven't let me down so far.
    We are talking shipments from the US to Holland. I must admit that I have never bought anything as expensive as a camera or printer.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  15. #15

    unless it is made clear in the agreement that it is some one elses.

    Robert check out this Sony DCRTRV22 MiniDV Camcorder <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000087BWL/qid=1062196097/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-8643553-8793437?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846>. It's sold on Amazon but "offered" by J & R Music and Computer World <http://www.jandr.com>. A little ways down the page you'll see J & R's shipping and return policy which differs slightly from Amazon's in that returns "may be subject to a restocking fee".

    Amazon uses lots of affiliates: J & R, Circuit City and Target to name a few. Here is Circuit City's <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/753524/ref=br_bx_c_2_0/103-8643553-8793437> return policy for example.

    The bottom line is that when you buy from one of Amazon's partner's you enter an agreement with the partner not Amazon. I just wanted to make sure that Barb B. knew to check out the return policy if she did, in fact, buy her new camera from Amazon (or one of the partners). Amazon has never let me down either and I love buying from them because of their return policies and prices.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Barbara,
    I have not had a problem with Amazon either, and I have been shuttled to J and R by Amazon also with no problems.
    Actually I have had no trouble with any of their affiliated companies.

    But I did have a problem with Best Buy, they had a cordless phone that I purchased on a special that had a "No Shipping" deal. When I got the bill, there WAS a shipping charge. So I sent them the copy of their web site offer. No response by e-mail, no response by phone. So from then on(was about 4 years ago) there hasn't been one single purchase from Best Buy by our entire family. By ing one old grandmother, they lost a HUGE family's purchasing for about 4 years so far.
    So the moral of this story, these companies realize that they must deliver, or they lose a lot. And every other company that we have dealt with, have delivered exactly what we have ordered. So I wouldn't hesitate to order anything from Amazon or any of their afiliated companies.
    Amazon is top notch.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  17. #17

    > But I did have a problem with Best Buy, >

    Jane,

    Best Buy = Good prices (sometimes) - (and I do mean minus) customer service
    of any kind after the sale :(

    Pete D Guest

  18. #18

    Hi Pete, Customer service! That is the key word.
    I wouldn't want to figure what lack of customer service cost this company from just one single family.
    I worked for a really small company years ago, and customer service was tops on their list, and that is why they were so successful!
    Go with Amazon,
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  19. #19

    Rod,
    Where in Alaska are you? I live in Sitka, and have the same issue with UPS. I use B&H and Amazon often as well, both for their selection and reliability.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  20. #20

    I usually go to amazon.com, because they have lots of users reviews. I've heard a lot of good things too about <http://www.buydig.com>

    Has anyone purchased digital cameras from them? There package deals look VERY tempting price-wise. I've had my eye on an Olympus 4000Z. Buy.dig has it for $325. For $385 (what they call their Executive Upgrade Kit), you get a case, an extra 128 MB card and lens kit. I have yet to find a better deal with all these extras.

    PC World ranks this camera in their top 10 for 4MP cameras. Besides that, I already own a 1.2MP Olympus which takes great pictures...have memory cards, batteries and the Smart Media adapter.

    Anyone have own this camera and have an opinion on it?

    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast